Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   P0307 cylinder 7 misfire (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/752040-p0307-cylinder-7-misfire.html)

dreyes212 06-20-2008 09:11 PM

P0307 cylinder 7 misfire

Hi all,
hope everyone is good and enjoying there Ex, I recently got back from a short road trip and i felt the Ex sort of stumble a bit when im stopped and it would run fine once im driving. One of my buddies plugged in his ODB code finder and it came up with this code P0307 cylinder 7 misfire what does this mean I am taking the Ex to the dealer on monday so they can service it and fix the problem. My question is what should i be expecting to pay and how much work will this be i am not mechanicaly inclined but i am a member of the best forum there is and the best group of people i ever met online with a wealth of knowledge.

RACERX7775 06-21-2008 12:54 AM

i had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. same code and cyl. i didn't trust the cheapo scanner so i went to ford and for $127, THEY SAID THE SAME THING AS THE CHEAPO SCANNER. well i took the truck back and had them unplug the coil and injector for that cyl. i ordered a brand new motorcraft coil from ebay for $35(an extra too) and in 5 minutes i repaired it. i just cleared the code and no problems since.

Stewart_H 06-21-2008 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by dreyes212 (Post 6272895)
Hi all,
hope everyone is good and enjoying there Ex, I recently got back from a short road trip and i felt the Ex sort of stumble a bit when im stopped and it would run fine once im driving. One of my buddies plugged in his ODB code finder and it came up with this code P0307 cylinder 7 misfire what does this mean

Sounds like you have a bad COP (Coil On Plug) that fires intermittently.

Clear the code and then swap the COP's on the number 7 and number 6 cylinder to see if you get a P0306 code: cylinder 6 misfire. If you do, then you know you have a bad coil. Just buy a replacement COP and put the new one on. Don't spend hundreds of dollars at a dealership for something you can do in about 7 minutes.

It's possible you have a bad plug in that cylinder, but it's more likely a bad coil.

Stewart

Stewart_H 06-21-2008 02:15 AM

It's EXTREMELY easy to pull a COP and replace or swap it with another one.

Ignition Coil—On Plug

<META content="Ignition Coil—On Plug" name=tps_proctitle>Removal
  1. Disconnect the wiring at the coil.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...cs/AB0145A.gif
  1. Remove the bolt and the coil.
Installation
  1. NOTE: Remove any foreign material from spark plug wells with compressed air.
    To install, reverse the removal procedure.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...cs/AB0076A.gif

There ya go.

Stewart

dreyes212 06-21-2008 02:37 AM

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!:-headbang

Thanks for the help Stewart i appriciate the pictures and steps.

Stewart_H 06-21-2008 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by dreyes212 (Post 6273374)
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!:-headbang

Thanks for the help Stewart i appriciate the pictures and steps.

No prob.

Since you said you weren't mechanically inclined, I figured the pictures would help. That's also why I added two minutes to Racer's time estimate! ;)

It really is that easy.

Stewart

PS - Do you know which cylinder is number 7? As you look at the engine from the front of the truck with the hood open, starting with the passenger side, front to back, you have cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Then on the drivers side, front to back, it's number 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

dreyes212 06-21-2008 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 6273376)
No prob.

Since you said you weren't mechanically inclined, I figured the pictures would help. That's also why I added two minutes to Racer's time estimate! ;)

It really is that easy.

Stewart

PS - Do you know which cylinder is number 7? As you look at the engine from the front of the truck with the hood open, starting with the passenger side, front to back, you have cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Then on the drivers side, front to back, it's number 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

thanks you could have not made it any easier...

rlh68050 06-21-2008 07:00 PM

Yea, #7 is the second one back on the drivers side!!!.. Super easy to change out. If you are getting a P0307 it is #7 COP. If you haven't changed the plugs yet, do so!!

1 06-21-2008 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 6273347)
Sounds like you have a bad COP (Coil On Plug) that fires intermittently.

Clear the code and then swap the COP's on the number 7 and number 6 cylinder to see if you get a P0306 code: cylinder 6 misfire. If you do, then you know you have a bad coil. Just buy a replacement COP and put the new one on. Don't spend hundreds of dollars at a dealership for something you can do in about 7 minutes.

It's possible you have a bad plug in that cylinder, but it's more likely a bad coil.

Stewart

I agree 100% with this post.