Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   Truck stalls when put into gear (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/732220-truck-stalls-when-put-into-gear.html)

sum_weirdo 04-15-2008 11:47 AM

Truck stalls when put into gear

Not sure if this is specifically a drivetrain issue or not but virtually every time I put my truck into gear after it's been started, it stalls. Doesn't matter if it's a cold start or warm, it'll seem to be idling fine and then when I put it in D or R it sputters and dies. Tried holding the gas while I shift with limited success, the only thing that really works is to immediately get moving after I shift and that's not always an option. The truck has a 460 backed by a C6, can anyone shed some light on this?

gearhead351 04-15-2008 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sum_weirdo (Post 6042367)
Not sure if this is specifically a drivetrain issue or not but virtually every time I put my truck into gear after it's been started, it stalls. Doesn't matter if it's a cold start or warm, it'll seem to be idling fine and then when I put it in D or R it sputters and dies. Tried holding the gas while I shift with limited success, the only thing that really works is to immediately get moving after I shift and that's not always an option. The truck has a 460 backed by a C6, can anyone shed some light on this?

That sounds like a fuel problem. I would check out your fuel filter and make sure your carb is squirting fuel. You didnt say if you could rev it up or anything.

sum_weirdo 04-15-2008 01:38 PM

Sorry. Yes I can rev it. But when I put it in gear at first the RPMs go way down and the truck stalls. If I try to rev it while shifting it'll probably still stall. If I shift and right away pull out then the truck idles fine.

sclariat 04-15-2008 04:03 PM

I believe your torque converter is pooched.

sum_weirdo 04-15-2008 04:11 PM

Dang, you think so? Anything I can do besides change it?

sclariat 04-15-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sum_weirdo (Post 6043189)
Dang, you think so? Anything I can do besides change it?

Ya, plant flowers in it and make the truck your new lawn ornament:-X18. lol
But I would check the oil and stuff...see if it smells burnt or if you can see any metal floating around in there.

Mark Kovalsky 04-15-2008 08:00 PM

How could it be the torque converter? I don't understand. It sure sounds like an engine problem to me.

sclariat 04-15-2008 08:42 PM

Your torque converter is supposed to supply stall in order to idle. When you put the tranny in drive while you hold the truck from moving with the brake, it kills the engine....or something like that. I suck at explaining stuff. much better at working on it.
Edit: I just read your signature, lol. please tell me if you think I'm wrong but also your explanation would be appreciated

Mark Kovalsky 04-16-2008 07:07 AM

I think you're wrong. :)

The torque converter is supposed to slip to allow the engine to idle without stalling. I have never seen one fail to do this, and I can't think of a way a torque converter could fail and not do this. I know of a few ways a torque converter can fail and not transmit torque to the transmission, but then the truck acts like it is in nuetral all the time.

I think there is something wrong with the engine that prevents it from idling with some load on it. A vacuum leak can do this, a carb problem, wrong timing, low idle speed, etc.

projectSHO89 04-16-2008 07:50 AM

On newer, electronically controlled vehicles, a torque converter clutch that is not releasing will cause this.

However, since we seem to be discussing a vehicle that predates this and that I have no relevant experience with.....

Steve

sum_weirdo 04-16-2008 08:46 AM

Hmm. Well it idles at about 700 RPM in gear (when I get that far). Maybe it can be tweaked a little more. I'll check all the vacuum lines too when I get a chance.

kdy72601 04-19-2008 01:10 AM

check the vacum line going to the vacume modulator or the vacume modulator its self could be the cluprit.