Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

6CylBill 12-23-2009 09:32 AM

I love your truck Itchy! Funny, I've been thinking about putting a flatbed on mine. It'll never happen but I've seen a couple trucks running around here with a nice flatbed on it with wood walls along the sides. I fell in love with the look.. Plus, it's very useful.

93 mix 'n match 12-23-2009 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 6CylBill (Post 8272972)
Plus, it's very useful.

it may seem useful, but IMO, its not. i have a buddy (that works on a farm, actually) and hes got a lifted dodge with an 8 foot bed. he decided he wanted the flatbed because it seems better then the regular pickup.boy did he regret it. he didnt like it because it had alot of extra space. you couldnt let things slide around because it had a tendency to jump out between the stakes. not to mention, its alot heavier then a pickup bed, which means less you can haul safely. he also lost some mpg.

so thats my $.02

Hitokori 12-23-2009 01:33 PM

yea well he shoulda built better walls and got an aluminum one yea its still heavy what ever on a dually its not going to make much difference.... flat beds are the best

ever haule goose neck or 5th wheel trailers...

any way i got the shocks i ordered yesterday put on today lol

$191 and lots of muscle to compress the rear ones enough to put them on

front was no problem other than its a pain in the rear coz u cant get a ratchet on there due to the fender well

its rides alot better now. had 122,000 miles on the last shocks and they was originals... still had the little rubber bushing pressed in the shock mount on the front instead of the 2 peice ones that new shocks have....

lol little bit closer to having the ride quality the way i want it just need some sway bars and steering box and prolly new springs

93 mix 'n match 12-23-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hitokori (Post 8273841)
yea well he shoulda built better walls and got an aluminum one yea its still heavy what ever on a dually its not going to make much difference.... flat beds are the best

ever haule goose neck or 5th wheel trailers...

1. hes 17. cant afford to buy a new one so he got an old steel one.
2. not everyone likes dualies..
3. yes ive driven a truck hauling a 5th wheel trailer. hell ive driven a big rig before. dont really see what that has to with a flatbed.

so flatbeds arent all they look like.

Hitokori 12-23-2009 03:05 PM

when ur backing a trailor around a building and u dont have the bed sides to worry about the trailor tearing off.. yea a flat bed is the way to go

a flat bed on a single wheel is retarded as hell....

some people may like the way it looks but its dumb servs no purpose and it looks like ass

my opinion tho and im prety sure im not the only one that thinks so

93 mix 'n match 12-23-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hitokori (Post 8274054)
when ur backing a trailor around a building and u dont have the bed sides to worry about the trailor tearing off.. yea a flat bed is the way to go

a flat bed on a single wheel is retarded as hell....

some people may like the way it looks but its dumb servs no purpose and it looks like ass

my opinion tho and im prety sure im not the only one that thinks so

why is a flat bed on a SRW retarded? not everyone needs a dually. you dont need a dually to haul prefab walls or hay bails or

and a camper trailer or a flatbed trailers dont come anywhere near the bedrails of a pickup.

greyghost85 12-23-2009 05:30 PM

my flatbed came with a flatbed.....and single wheels. will i go to duals someday? perhaps...but, it doesnt look ass. an ass might say something like that, however.

Itchy brother 12-27-2009 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by SKEEFOO (Post 8272832)
Did you do the flat bed yourself? or is it a factory job? Looks good.The marlboro stress relief program?Does it work?,,Ive never lit one up in my life,I use timberwolf natural,cant get copenhagen here in Panama.every one thats still alive in my family smokes,I made it through unscathed,I just never liked it,It wasnt for me.Those tail lights look like they will do the job,I had the old style on my welding machine trailer.Keep it up,I do something almost every day on my Ford,now that im retired from the army,and im only 44,Ive got my whole life in front of me to work on Fords,its a great life indeed, Peace,and take it easy.:-X05

The bed was last years christmas/new years project.
Here is a link to my project thread in the Australian Ford Forums.
You will need to join up to view this section though.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11245704

Got step by step pics of it from when i got it to now.
I'm afraid that the stress relief program really sucks!:p
I really could do without it!
Retired at 44?
Must be great to go out to the shed and play with your fords when you feel the urge!

Itchy brother 12-27-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 (Post 8272864)
Thats cool! It looks great. I say its a big improvement. Those old ones were a little on the small side. Have you thought about adding some type of bumper?

Thanks Tex!
A little on the small side??:rolleyes:
They look ok on a toyota ute bit the f250 is a little larger!:-X04
Well i have a 4.5 tonne tow bar/hitch whick i'll be fitting once i get it powder coated in the metalic type silver!
That will fill up the empty space under the lights and add more rear end crash protection im thinking!
This wheel is done in the powder coat finish and colour i'm after.
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8165/p9060844large.jpg

Itchy brother 12-27-2009 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match (Post 8273213)
it may seem useful, but IMO, its not. i have a buddy (that works on a farm, actually) and hes got a lifted dodge with an 8 foot bed. he decided he wanted the flatbed because it seems better then the regular pickup.boy did he regret it. he didnt like it because it had alot of extra space. you couldnt let things slide around because it had a tendency to jump out between the stakes. not to mention, its alot heavier then a pickup bed, which means less you can haul safely. he also lost some mpg.

so thats my $.02

A flat bed isnt usefull for everyone.
For me, being in the building industry a flat bed is the best setup for my needs.
Hauling my toolbox, materials ladders etc the flatbed fits the bill perfectly!
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8...60943large.jpg

antivtec 12-27-2009 09:46 PM

Bought a cd player for the 250 today. didnt put it in though cause it was too cold. i'll put in tomorrow after i do my glow plugs and fix the firewall/clutch pedal

86F150302 12-27-2009 11:49 PM

Put a new timing cover gasket, water pump, and water pump gaskets in today..

Fun fun! :-rip

daveyboy1 12-28-2009 10:37 PM

My 88 came with a add on remote start system. I worked on removing that today, and found that the person that installed it was an idot. There are several wires that were stripped and left bare. I was NOT impressed. Now I have to repair a few connections. Gonna have to solder and heat shrink them. But for the most part I got the system out. Thinking about vacuming and detailing the interior tomorrow. Gonna have to steam clean the carpet one of these days, but I will probably do that when I tear out the interior to put the stereo system in it. Fun fun. Oh well its my project truck (one of them)

LCAM-01XA 12-29-2009 01:29 AM

Apparently I killed a few glowplugs, she's only glowing for like 7-8 seconds (normal is well over 15 seconds) then goes into the on/off clicking frenzy that is normal when you ain't heating up all 8 plugs. Still fired up tho, just took a bit of cranking - I actually have a manual override switch so I can glow them for as long as I please, but the whole thing caught me by surprise so I used the starter to bring her up to temp - still fired up in 20F, which is good considering this is the lowest temperature Ford guarantees staring at without using the heater, and that's with 8 good plugs when I currently probably only have 6. I'll give it a shot with the manual switch tomorrow, 5 seconds manual glow on top of the 7 second automatic should do the job just fine. Bad thing is ZD9 plugs are getting hard to come by at decent prices, and dealerships want anywhere from $15 to $22 a piece!!!

Itchy brother 12-29-2009 03:14 AM

Well havent actually done anything on my truck today, but i will be!:-innocent
Planning on fitting the unter tray tool box i ordered a couple of weeks ago!
Will be a great place to store the jack, wheelbrace and ratchet tie downs!:-D
Here is a pic
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9...71209large.jpg
Its 1150 top 1000 bottom length 350 deep and 400 high.
Made from 2mm aluminium brushed finish!
Will mount onto the side oposite the LPG tank