Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

minnesotafisherman 06-11-2012 06:25 PM

I'm glad that my 302 finally went out (blown piston rings) because it leaked oil from the oil pan gasket, rocker covers, and rear main. Had a used 302 w/60,000 on it put into the truck as a replacement and the shop that did it for me put on a new oil pan, new gaskets everywhere, etc. So nice to not have to keep adding oil any more.

Evan_P 06-11-2012 07:08 PM

Fixed a vacuum leak. Apparently the line to the TAB has been disconnected for at least the last year and half that I've been driving this thing. Also finished my SIXLITRE tune-up. Timing now bumped to 13.5*.

oldmongo 06-11-2012 10:54 PM

E-fan project

I have a bad habit of making these little projects harder than they need to be, but I guess that's the way I roll !!! The 98 Windstar fans are all bracketed up... ready to mount ... 4 bolts with vibration eliminators and that's done !!! :-jammin

The electrical is mounted on a 6X6X1/8" solid copper plate (no grounding issues)... T-stat, 2 relays, 3 circuit breakers... almost done !!! it will attach where the relay panel once lived, behind the air box. Override/emergency switch is in and needs wires.
Then wires to the fans and ... "Let there be wind" :-X22 Dave :-wink

SCRebel 06-11-2012 11:16 PM

Fixed my audio wires going to my amp. One of the Girls that was riding with me stepped on it , and actually broke the end off in the amp. -_-

I question the brightness of girls these days.

Midnite1987 06-11-2012 11:18 PM

Fixed my belt issue and picked up more transmission fluid so I can Swap back to the stock valve springs (the shift kit will be going into my 2wd later on)

SCRebel 06-11-2012 11:21 PM

I'm not a fan of shift kits.

SideWinder4.9l 06-12-2012 12:03 AM

Did my oil change...10w30 Quaker State, with a good ol' Motorcraft FL-1A filter...

Plain Jane 06-12-2012 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
Did my oil change...

Found out some unsettling things...

-The Rocker Arms/Valve Springs, etc have oil/varnishing/crud build up...Not BAD, but not the thing I wanted to see in my engine...

-When I tightened the Oil Filter onto the mounting area, and tightened it HAND TIGHT, there was a small drip of oil after about 30 seconds...

I'm torn between believing that's an issue, and believing that it's some of the old oil too...Tim will tell I guess..

Overall, the truck has 190,423 mi.....Can't complain I guess...

But it's springing oil leaks by the day it seems..

I guess either a rebuild is in order, or simply replacing what gaskets need to be redone...Then again, I WAS wanting to toss a Camshaft/Steel Timing Gears in there also...

Sidewinder I was going to ask what oil you were running when I read this post but saw your subsequent post. I was running 5w/30 and had a minor rear main leak, a couple of drips a day. I switched to 10w/30 and added a bottle of lucas rear main seal treatment and have no drips now. If you are getting gunked up then try some seafoam in your oil about 500 miles before you change it next time. Then re check for gunk, with your next change add the lucas oil seal treatment and see what happens.

SideWinder4.9l 06-12-2012 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane (Post 11942513)
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
Did my oil change...

Found out some unsettling things...

-The Rocker Arms/Valve Springs, etc have oil/varnishing/crud build up...Not BAD, but not the thing I wanted to see in my engine...

-When I tightened the Oil Filter onto the mounting area, and tightened it HAND TIGHT, there was a small drip of oil after about 30 seconds...

I'm torn between believing that's an issue, and believing that it's some of the old oil too...Tim will tell I guess..

Overall, the truck has 190,423 mi.....Can't complain I guess...

But it's springing oil leaks by the day it seems..

I guess either a rebuild is in order, or simply replacing what gaskets need to be redone...Then again, I WAS wanting to toss a Camshaft/Steel Timing Gears in there also...

Sidewinder I was going to ask what oil you were running when I read this post but saw your subsequent post. I was running 5w/30 and had a minor rear main leak, a couple of drips a day. I switched to 10w/30 and added a bottle of lucas rear main seal treatment and have no drips now. If you are getting gunked up then try some seafoam in your oil about 500 miles before you change it next time. Then re check for gunk, with your next change add the lucas oil seal treatment and see what happens.

There's NO way I'd risk clogging the Pickup Screen for the Oil Pump, by driving the truck with Seafoam in it like that...

I'd do that, allow it to get to operating temps, and shut it off...

That way, if the screen did clog up, it wouldn't let the engine be running with nothing to lube the parts...

But yes, I agree...Seafoam is a GREAT product....:-jammin

blinkerf150 06-12-2012 10:25 AM

This weekend I replaced the shocks. I think the ones replaced were original to the truck with 219,000 miles on it. The fronts were kind of a pain. The upper nuts were difficult to get off. No room for a ratchet, and the wrenches I have aren't all that long. The passenger side front got to a point where it the upper nut wouldn't move. I thought I was done for, but in using a 2x4 to move the wrench, I accidentally snapped off that top threaded shaft. Removal was easy after that!

The replacement shocks are Monroe SensaTracs. I got them on sale. Not a huge difference from the old stock ones, except for the rebound control.

SideWinder4.9l 06-12-2012 02:29 PM

Replaced my XL bumper with this...For $30..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...26976607_n.jpg

SCRebel 06-12-2012 02:35 PM

That's a nice find for $30.

terryknight 06-12-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 11944388)
Replaced my XL bumper with this...For $30..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...26976607_n.jpg

you lucky SOB. i would really like to get a spare bumper

sonsila 06-12-2012 04:18 PM

95 flareside supercab 5.8L 4x4

wheew what a workout its one of those situations smile now and curse later...i replaced my upper and lower ball joints:-jammin...next will be to do a custom built ford tough bedliner...i already did a rhino lining flame job on my hood as hood proctection and plus it looks damn good...}>

FourXFord2 06-12-2012 09:26 PM

Stopped a O'Reily's while I was in Omaha today and picked up a 3M headlight resto kit. Got the lenses on my Bronco looking like new again, without removing the front bumper brushgaurd. Had a drill bit extender in toolbox, put the buffer on that and could easy get at whole light.
Also finished vacuuming the carpeting off, got the big chunks out anyway, needs a shampooing.