Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

terryknight 06-03-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by breckman99 (Post 11908980)
Decided to sell it. Driving a 7600 pound crew cab long bed in the city I just moved to is more than a chore... I wish there was another way. :-arrgh

that's too bad. it wouldn't be a 4x4 and a powerstroke would it? i'm looking for one

SideWinder4.9l 06-03-2012 01:19 PM

Gave mine a good, much needed cleaning on the interior...Wiped all the windows down...

Smells nice and clean/fresh now...Thanks to Lucas Interior Detailer and Black Ice Lil' Trees....lol

ewmgrm 06-03-2012 01:40 PM

HID Upgrade

Originally Posted by whiteboyslo (Post 11870108)
Installed a set of GE Nighthawk Platinum headlight bulbs in combination with a headlight relay harness kit from LMC Truck. Waiting for it to get dark so I can test 'em out. I'll post pics, provided they come out good enough to show anything.

I really wanted to do a HID upgrade, but I couldn't find anyone that makes a projector headlight for a bricknose and I don't trust my DIY skills, so this was the next best thing.

Oh, and FYI to those on the fence, the headlight relay harness kit is easy to install. It took me all of 20 minutes and I didn't drill a thing.

Mike

How did the headlight replacement go? I am contemplating a similar upgrade but didn't want to try and tackle the headlight lens removal on my 94 F150 if the rewards are minimal.

Midnite1987 06-03-2012 05:00 PM

Went for a drive to find out that on first startup my belt squeals for a couple seconds everytime I start the truck and when going slow in parking lots it decides to squeak everytime I touch the throttle.... Talk about annoying. I got the tightest belt I could get on there and even spaced the alternator our with a 1/2" nut under the alternator at each bolt to get it that little bit tighter. Guess I need to clean the pullys and see if that helps.....

With the smog pump removed the belt is now routed a below in the red which gives more wrap on most of the pullys too...
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...d/44820ff5.jpg

Plain Jane 06-03-2012 05:39 PM

Engine detailing today. wire wheeled and cupped the efi housing. It was starting to peel and there was white oxidation under all of the gray finish coat. I used POR 15 high temp (1400 degrees) manifold gray paint. It bonded to the freshly brushed aluminum like magic, Very pleased with the result. I think I am going to detail paint the raised lettering on the efi with semi gloss black, it should look good with the dark grey on the rest of the efi. Discovered something odd that I started a new thread about.

breckman99 06-03-2012 05:52 PM

Terryknight - it is a 4x4, but 12v cummins. I had a talk with my wife this afternoon, she said I can't sell it. So now the plan is to buy a little run about vw cabrio and drive it with the gas engine for the summer, then TDI swap it this winter or next spring. I already have a spare TDI engine/harness/ecu laying around so might as well use it for something fun. :)

I was looking at the rangers, but like you guys said, the mileage sucks and they really aren't that solid as far as drive train goes. One plan I had prior to the current one was get a 84-85 4runner and drop that spare TDI engine into it. Plan failed when I realized how much people want for the 84-85 4runners! (only year with solid front axle)

Anyway, now I guess I need to fix the little crap on the 96, steering hose is spraying all over, throttle cable assembly is starting to disintegrate, and the radiator (full brass/copper from the early 90's diesels) has a little hole punched in it... the projects never end :'(

Midnite1987 06-03-2012 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane (Post 11910670)
Discovered something odd that I started a new thread about.

Now ya got me looking for a new thread i can't find lol

Plain Jane 06-03-2012 06:02 PM

check now midnight, I just posted it.

terryknight 06-03-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by breckman99 (Post 11910718)
TAnyway, now I guess I need to fix the little crap on the 96, steering hose is spraying all over, throttle cable assembly is starting to disintegrate, and the radiator (full brass/copper from the early 90's diesels) has a little hole punched in it... the projects never end :'(

sounds like to good truck and no they never do, but it's part of the reason i love these old trucks

Bob Gervais 06-03-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 11908933)
That's about 80-90% city/rural driving...

That's awesome! She must be running like a top to get that kind of mileage.

Today: Tire balance. No more belly jiggle at 70 MPH and up. :)

Diesel_Brad 06-03-2012 08:37 PM

This weekend was pretty productive

Yesterday I test fir the I/C into the old rad support.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...52567851_n.jpg
Today I mimicked my cuts onto my new rad support.

Got the body work done on both new fenders and got them in prime on the face. Block them out tomorrow

Right now I am waiting on the POR15 to dry on the fender backs, and new rad support so i can squirt on some color and clear.

Also mocked up the Enforcer bumper on the truck while waiting for the paint

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...603_195611.jpg

Jigger2020 06-03-2012 11:03 PM

Great lookin bumper Brad

i like the blue & white truck there too

SideWinder4.9l 06-04-2012 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais (Post 11911194)
That's awesome! She must be running like a top to get that kind of mileage.

Today: Tire balance. No more belly jiggle at 70 MPH and up. :)

Actually, I need to do some tuneup work...Fix a bad IAC/TPS sensor, and plug off the A.I.R Injection Ports in the head, the rail broke a while back...

Plain Jane 06-05-2012 07:28 PM

Today I was about to take a ramp from one highway to another on the way home from work. All of a sudden this jack wagon in a blacked out, lifted chevy light duty with what must have been 35's comes flying in front of me so fast he had to brake hard to avoid ramming the car in from of me. I'm thinking: It's ON, good lord is it on! So we get to the second highway and he immediately tries to pull away but a car changes lanes and gets in his way. Looking behind me there is absolutely no one coming up the highway in any lane. So I floor the little 302, scoot all the way over from the ramp to the fast lane and the 302 is just starting to show it's stuff at about 60mph. He puts on his blinker....as if. a couple blasts of the horn and in about a second he's in my rear view, on his phone, the 302 is humming at high rpm now. First of all, hang up and drive. Secondly, KISS MY BLUE OVAL BITCH.

Diesel_Brad 06-06-2012 04:17 AM

Sounds like you are just as bad as him, with your road rage