Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

big-ugly 12-10-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by donnor (Post 11136215)
Consider double checking the bolts that attach the axle arm pivot brackets to the frame crossmember. They can work their way loose which make make for an exciting time! Fortunately, I discovered my loose bolts before any real damage occurred.

dn.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check those out after work today.

Jaime74656 12-10-2011 09:25 AM

Well haven't done this today but this was over a few weeks time so ill throw it here

Installed new turn signal housings and LED bulbs, also installed chrome STT (new) tails with red LED bulbs and put gas in her and drove her :) started planing for a car alarm install and audio install (both will be done professionally as far as wires go)

SideWinder4.9l 12-10-2011 10:02 AM

Getting ready to go buy new brake calipers...OH JOY....:'(

Jigger2020 12-10-2011 10:04 AM

Calipers, thats easy

SideWinder4.9l 12-10-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GIGGER (Post 11136553)
Calipers, thats easy

Yeah...Except the fact they're as rusty as a mofo...And I have no air tools to work with, incase things get all fugly....I'm doing some other work in the process.....Calipers are the main ticket items...:-X22

Jigger2020 12-10-2011 10:14 AM

Ah so you never service your brakes, shame on you, lol

Jaime74656 12-10-2011 11:18 AM

well I guess I too need to check my front breaks, had the entire rear breaks repaired to the tune of about $600 but hey it had to be done...im thinking of going hi performance breaks like brembo or what ever is out there for better stopping power...so I got to thank you again Wes.....another project to plan for....*goes to update project thread*

big-ugly 12-10-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 11136820)
well I guess I too need to check my front breaks, had the entire rear breaks repaired to the tune of about $600 but hey it had to be done...im thinking of going hi performance breaks like brembo or what ever is out there for better stopping power...so I got to thank you again Wes.....another project to plan for....*goes to update project thread*

Making your truck go fast is one of the greatest feelings on Earth, getting it stopped is even better :-X22

Jaime74656 12-10-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by big-ugly (Post 11136869)
Making your truck go fast is one of the greatest feelings on Earth, getting it stopped is even better :-X22

thats mainly why I droped the $600+ on the rear break job, I wanted my truck to be able to stop properly and not use a wall to do so....that would not be fun...

big-ugly 12-10-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 11137117)
thats mainly why I droped the $600+ on the rear break job, I wanted my truck to be able to stop properly and not use a wall to do so....that would not be fun...

$600 is nothing compared to the cost of a new front end, with the possibility of engine damage. I think you made the right decision.

Jaime74656 12-10-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by big-ugly (Post 11137132)
$600 is nothing compared to the cost of a new front end, with the possibility of engine damage. I think you made the right decision.

thanks, im gonna probabibly do the same after christmas for the front as I am sure its going to need some minor work, but Im gonna look into the after market breaks and see if I can get better stopping power so that way I know the truck will stop quickly (for a 1/2 ton or 1/4 ton truck at least)

big-ugly 12-10-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 11137334)
thanks, im gonna probabibly do the same after christmas for the front as I am sure its going to need some minor work, but Im gonna look into the after market breaks and see if I can get better stopping power so that way I know the truck will stop quickly (for a 1/2 ton or 1/4 ton truck at least)

Believe me, I know how it feels.. I had enough $$ saved up for a much needed new windshield, or nerf-bars, or a roll bar & lights... then my shocks on the front-end decided to take a dump on me with less than 2500 miles on them.. Back to square-1 for me, and still chasing down a mysterious clunking noise... :-arrgh

lamenytro 12-10-2011 06:19 PM

bought and installed a new alternator, then drove it to the christmas tree farm and did a little off roading

SideWinder4.9l 12-10-2011 08:28 PM

Just finished up spending more than I made, on my truck....In the name of safety...:)

Here's what all I got for $154 at Car-Quest....

-Both Front calipers
-The rubber hoses that connect the hardlines, to the calipers
-1 Gallon of Anti-Freeze (I really don't need a busted block to add to my woes....:'()
-1 Can of Seafoam's Deepcreep...(Effing AWESOME stuff)...

And for another $22.22 at, dare I say it, Advance Auto Parts (Car-Quest closes at 12/Noon here on Saturdays.....Bummer...)...

-All new hard brake lines for the front end....

$176 later....My truck rolls 1000000% more free (Calipers were toast....And binding like a mofo...)...
And I still have an annoying pull of the wheel, to the right, when I hit my brakes...:-arrgh

But I've since narrowed that down even more to the severely scored Rotor......I have a new one to go on it....Just gotta clean it up...

And found some BAD news....The dickweeds I let do an alignment on my truck....APPARENTLY, forgot to fully tighten/install the castlenut, on the dragling...:-hair...I had new balljoints installed at this time also...Along with all new steering components...Tie rod ends, sleeves, drag link, etc....My final bill was like $450 for EVERYTHING.....And the jackasses forget a critical piece of my steering system? Seems the owner and I have some things to hash out Monday in the am....:-X22

This has been like this for about 8 months...:-hair:-X16....And over that course of time, I simply was assuming that I was gonna have to buy new bearings...

Well....Now my steering is tight (Like it should be)....And I have a LOT better driving truck....Will be even moreso, whn I put the new rotor on it...:-X22

big-ugly 12-11-2011 11:20 AM

Finally figured out what has been rattling around underneath my truck.. It was a heat shield on a catalytic converter.. Just another reason to cut those dumb things outta my truck..