Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

93 mix 'n match 07-20-2009 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Beamed (Post 7737739)
I would suggest a new coil to anyone with alot of miles on their truck. made a really big difference. and changed her oil.

is 305,000 alot of miles? just wonderin.....8D

TexasGuy001 07-20-2009 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match (Post 7737899)
is 305,000 alot of miles? just wonderin.....8D

Do you have that many on your truck? I have 270+ on mine.

93 mix 'n match 07-20-2009 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 (Post 7737933)
Do you have that many on your truck? I have 270+ on mine.

well 304 and change on the high side.... like 304,8sumtin

TexasGuy001 07-20-2009 05:30 AM

Thats cool!

I agree with the statement in your sig "think before you lift". I actually made the mistake years ago by doing just that and a few years later took all that stuff off.

The only thing cool about all of it was maybe the way it looked. I actually love the truck even more in close to stock form.

It had Ranch Hand bumpers, 32s and basically a 4 lift.

All that lift and tires and bumpers etc did was give poor performance, poor fuel economy, poor handling, poor braking, and poor ride quaity.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=202585&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=218506&.jpg

93 mix 'n match 07-20-2009 06:50 AM

I think lifts are pointless on anything that's gonna spend less then 50% of its lifted life on dirt. If you lived on a bumpy dirt road with pot holes deep enoug that there might be a volkswagon at the bottom, I can see a lift. If your a logger or a contractor or in any occupation that requires you to go off the beaten path, then I can understand a lift. But the lift just to look cool or to occasionally wheel is stupid. The thing I hate more is 6 inch+ lifts on 2wd trucks. The only lifted 2wd truck I like is Bill's. But Bill has a locker so its a little bit better offroas then a standard 2wd loose rear.

Your truck didn't look that bad lifted. How bad was difference?

93 mix 'n match 07-20-2009 06:52 AM

I think lifts are pointless on anything that's gonna spend less then 50% of its lifted life on dirt. If you lived on a bumpy dirt road with pot holes deep enoug that there might be a volkswagon at the bottom, I can see a lift. If your a logger or a contractor or in any occupation that requires you to go off the beaten path, then I can understand a lift. But the lift just to look cool or to occasionally wheel is stupid. The thing I hate more is 6 inch+ lifts on 2wd trucks. The only lifted 2wd truck I like is Bill's. But Bill has a locker so its a little bit better offroas then a standard 2wd loose rear.

Your truck didn't look that bad lifted. How bad was difference?

TexasGuy001 07-20-2009 07:23 AM

I have gotten to the point were I basically agree about lifts being pointless except on trucks that need some lift because of what they are used for.

Actually I was trying to convince Bill to put his back to stock ride height and put street tires on it like mine. I think 2wd reg cab flaresides are a perfect candidate for a street truck. Of course he would need to change the gears again.

My truck was fairly capable off road. It originally came with 3.08 gears. I swapped to the 3.55 LS at the same time I lifted it.

Although it could go in places where I would have thought it would get stuck, I didn't go off roading much at all. I was fairly impressed though. This was really the only good thing about it.

As far as how bad it was.... well the fuel economy was 12 or so. I get 17 or 18 currently. This is city highway mix.

It would road wander even with rebuild front suspension and steering and a single steering stabilizer. I kept the stabilizer when I removed the lift.

It went through brake pads about every 2 years. I haven't done the brakes since I put it back to stock about 3 or so years ago and the pads still look great. Also, the stopping distance was greatly increased it took much more room to slow down.

It did not like to tow at all. It tows a lot better now.

On longer trips it gave driver fatigue it was so bad to drive. The handling flat out sucked. Several times I thought I was going to have an accident.

All of that is gone since I removed all the suspension lift parts.

I should never have wasted my time with it. At least I was able to sell the parts and get some money back out of it. I actually sold the All Terrain tires that were about half shot at the time for enough to buy the TAs and a generic road hugger spare of the same size.

jk89cat 07-20-2009 09:30 AM

lifts, i agree and disagree, mine has been lifted all its life towing really isnt an issue on most items since i put the larger springs in. nothing with the lift has really ever given me trouble , i dont take mine off road, but the heavier suspesion helps with towing

93 mix 'n match 07-20-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 (Post 7738219)
I have gotten to the point were I basically agree about lifts being pointless except on trucks that need some lift because of what they are used for.

Actually I was trying to convince Bill to put his back to stock ride height and put street tires on it like mine. I think 2wd reg cab flaresides are a perfect candidate for a street truck. Of course he would need to change the gears again.

My truck was fairly capable off road. It originally came with 3.08 gears. I swapped to the 3.55 LS at the same time I lifted it.

Although it could go in places where I would have thought it would get stuck, I didn't go off roading much at all. I was fairly impressed though. This was really the only good thing about it.

As far as how bad it was.... well the fuel economy was 12 or so. I get 17 or 18 currently. This is city highway mix.

It would road wander even with rebuild front suspension and steering and a single steering stabilizer. I kept the stabilizer when I removed the lift.

It went through brake pads about every 2 years. I haven't done the brakes since I put it back to stock about 3 or so years ago and the pads still look great. Also, the stopping distance was greatly increased it took much more room to slow down.

It did not like to tow at all. It tows a lot better now.

On longer trips it gave driver fatigue it was so bad to drive. The handling flat out sucked. Several times I thought I was going to have an accident.

All of that is gone since I removed all the suspension lift parts.

I should never have wasted my time with it. At least I was able to sell the parts and get some money back out of it. I actually sold the All Terrain tires that were about half shot at the time for enough to buy the TAs and a generic road hugger spare of the same size.

WOW! ive never heard of that many problems with a little lift! thats terrible...

Originally Posted by jk89cat (Post 7738594)
lifts, i agree and disagree, mine has been lifted all its life towing really isnt an issue on most items since i put the larger springs in. nothing with the lift has really ever given me trouble , i dont take mine off road, but the heavier suspesion helps with towing

my buddy has a dodge thats lifted 6 inches on 35's with absolutly no problems. its a farm truck too so it always off road and pulling things around. aside from a cacked frame and a rusted off turbo, theres nothing wrong with the truck.

Boss F150 07-20-2009 08:51 PM

Installed new set of taillights with a minor modification. Check em out.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w..._442/cl014.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w..._442/cl013.jpg

TexasGuy001 07-20-2009 10:19 PM

What was the point of eliminating the reverse lights? Do they function as an extra brake light or tail light now.

Jason Lewis 07-21-2009 12:35 AM

Got my new AFE Dryflow fliter in, after i reinstalled the stock air intake and pulled the K@N Hotair intake off, i'll get a current MPG Check soon.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/DSCN0096.jpg

TexasGuy001 07-21-2009 02:11 AM

Thats cool Jason! I'm glad to see that you got it. Did you find a new MAF sensor gasket?

Boss F150 07-21-2009 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 (Post 7741257)
What was the point of eliminating the reverse lights? Do they function as an extra brake light or tail light now.

The new (very bright) reverse lights are in the bumper now.

TexasGuy001 07-21-2009 06:34 AM

Are they wired up to a switch or to reverse? What do the old reverse lights do now, come on as tail lights or brake lights or nothing? How did you recolor the lense?

I have auxilary reverse lights but put them on a switch so I can use them whenever I need them like hooking up a trailer in the dark.