Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

93 mix 'n match 02-05-2010 05:35 PM

im with trey. my truck has worn tires, not completley bald, but it needs new set. and i dont have the $420 to dump on tires right now. so its either drive it, or veg at home with no way to get to school or work. so your choice....

FORD RANGER 02-05-2010 05:35 PM

hows our buddy darrell doing? you can call me jack.

300 Buster 02-05-2010 05:38 PM

Wear bars piss me off anymore,I think the tire companies put them higher in the tread so you'll by tires sooner.Sometimes they start showing when you still have half the tread depth.You would think they would start screening their distributors and dealers for "out of date" tires.Some of you may be cruising on tires you bought last year that were made 4 yrs ago,and that's as dangerous as driving on bald tires,maybe worse because you think they're good.Another thing wear bars are good for is getting you a ticket for defective equipment when the cop sees them.I'm not for driving on bald tires,but I consider bald tires as tires that don't have any credible tread left or are smooth in one spot,not ones with the wear bar showing with half the original tread left.

greyghost85 02-05-2010 05:41 PM

Jack! Lewis! Buster! lively chat this eve

skyfox10 02-05-2010 05:41 PM

I've driven on bald tires before, I think many of us have. I think the odds of killing someone at 20mph are very slim. The truth is, that if you are aware of the condition of your tire and drive appropriately (much slower in the rain/snow), you are not going to be much more dangerous than any other person on the road.

greyghost85 02-05-2010 05:44 PM

exactly.....esp the drunks

skyfox10 02-05-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 300 Buster (Post 8473277)
Some of you may be cruising on tires you bought last year that were made 4 yrs ago,and that's as dangerous as driving on bald tires,maybe worse because you think they're good.

What's the problem with tires that have aged if they were not in the sun? My tires were bought back in 03 or 04

FORD RANGER 02-05-2010 06:05 PM

i have to put tires on my ranger but their still good. they are worn.

Redcat Diesel 02-05-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by skyfox10 (Post 8473296)
I've driven on bald tires before, I think many of us have. I think the odds of killing someone at 20mph are very slim. The truth is, that if you are aware of the condition of your tire and drive appropriately (much slower in the rain/snow), you are not going to be much more dangerous than any other person on the road.

Yes and I have too. It's not good, it's not safe, it's not right but sometimes folks just don't have much choice. Let's see I need a new set of hoops but the child support, the mortgage and the utilities are due, the fridge is empty and I need gas to get to work. Last month I missed a week's work caring for my sick child and the furnace went out. The month before the hot water tank chit it's britches and the kid needed braces. Get about a year or 2 of bad months and buying tires can be a big deal.

Been there, done that.

Still doing it time to time.

93 mix 'n match 02-05-2010 06:11 PM

by the way, id just like to say this before someone calls me out on it. i dont have a 87-96 ford anymore. i drive a 97. the only reasons i hang here is because 1. my first truck was a 93 and 2. the 97-03 section sucks! theres nothing going on there....so now yall know.

zxwut? 02-05-2010 06:31 PM

So back to the topic:

I got my new (junkyard) stock intake for my truck to replace the BS the PO had on it. Sawed the air horns off and threw it in. Runs soooo much smoother and idles properly now. It doesn't feel like a pig anymore either which is fantastic. I'm thinking I'm going to see a pretty all right increase in gas mileage out of it too. There is also no annoying whistle coming from it anymore.

skyfox10 02-05-2010 06:36 PM

Are the air horns a factory silencer?

zxwut? 02-05-2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by skyfox10 (Post 8473565)
Are the air horns a factory silencer?

That's the word on the street. It looked like a big restriction to me so I hacksawed them right out.

skyfox10 02-05-2010 06:48 PM

I've heard that these actually help the power.

Here is part of an acticle where they tested it.

Write Up:
FOUR WHEELER Magazine's Project M.P.G.
(scroll down to were it says "Photo of air restriction being sawed")

Results:
FOUR WHEELER Magazine's Project M.P.G.

skyfox10 02-05-2010 06:48 PM

[DUPLICATE POST]