Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   blue devil head gasket sealer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/722421-blue-devil-head-gasket-sealer.html)

AC94EXPLORER 03-21-2008 06:54 AM

blue devil head gasket sealer

has anyone heard of blue devil headgasket sealer? i was thinking of putting some of that in for now till i get the head gasket fixed. i took it in to a shop for a blown head gasket check and he said it was an outside head gasket issue and told me to put the blue devil head gasket sealer in till i can afford to get it fixed. for 60 bucks it better work. water has not gone into the oil just blows out of the exhaust sitting at the traffic light. i need to make a trip to ca and back (wa) he said it will be fine once i add it. any thoughts?

marragtop 03-21-2008 06:31 PM

Haven't heard of blue devil, but I assume it's comparable to BarrsLeak or Stop leak. Putting those types of additives into your system will cause addtional damage to the water pump, heater core, radiator, ..etc. If it's not overheating, I would drive it until you can fix it properly. I drove my 92 with a blown head gasket for over 2 years.

steve(ill) 03-23-2008 09:10 AM

http://www.barsproducts.com/1100.htm

steve(ill) 03-23-2008 09:11 AM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...help-guys.html

AC94EXPLORER 03-23-2008 10:03 AM

i do have bars leak but it isnt working workedfor a week then it went back to the same problem.

Backin72 03-23-2008 10:11 AM

I'm really leary about these magic pills in a bottle, but I've heard good things about Steel Seal.

http://www.steelseal.com/eng/home.html

steve(ill) 03-23-2008 01:47 PM

AC94, were you using radiator sealer or the head gasket/ cracked head sealer?
if your using the head gasket sealer, how about leaving the stuff in the radiator for a few hours of use?

73f100shortbed 03-23-2008 02:45 PM

I heard of the blue devil stuff. Hear it works really well, but have not personally tried it.

AC94EXPLORER 03-24-2008 01:35 PM

i do want to put some type of sealer in it before i go and im going with the blue devil cause it has no metal shavings in it. i did use the bars leak for cracked heads and blown head gasket and it seems not to work.

karlster 11-30-2008 10:59 PM

Blue Devil worked great for a toyota 22re that was so leaky it would hydrolock and the oil was all milky looking. I have a thousand miles on it and no issues so far.

As I understand it the stuff crystallizes as it is exposed to the gasses in the combustion chamber. It won't crystallize in the cooling system as long as it lacks the gasses that catalyze the reaction.

It has a money back guarantee and I used it on a truck that was destined to be a parts truck so I had nothing to lose.

I would say give it a try.

karl

t613 05-23-2018 03:55 PM

Blue devil pour 'n go (white label)

I had a head gasket issue in my '08 6.4 and dealer wanted $12,000 for 40 hours, head gaskets, studs installed (I supply), heads, exhaust manifolds and EGR coolers! Yes, I found a new dealer after that.

$120 dollars worth of white label Pour 'n Go Blue Devil (1 bottle per 2 gallons of coolant, 6.4L- 4 bottles) and all sealed up, no more puking. Detuned back to 40 tune, have towed and flogged it. 4 months and zero issues or pukes. Didn't want to pull the thermostats to run the yellow label (which is supposed to be better per Blue Devil Products), so went with the white.

Was worried about heater core and oil cooler plugging, NO ISSUES, works perfectly. As time and $$$ allows, I'll get it in for the studs and gaskets.

I even drained the mix out of my truck and gave it to my friend with a 190k 318 cid Dodge 1500. He put it in his radiator and now loses no more coolant (was losing a quart a week).

You can call it snake oil, but it worked as advertised for me and would not hesitate to use it again, just FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!

Tim

Daimen Ellenburg 12-09-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by t613 (Post 17999275)
I had a head gasket issue in my '08 6.4 and dealer wanted $12,000 for 40 hours, head gaskets, studs installed (I supply), heads, exhaust manifolds and EGR coolers! Yes, I found a new dealer after that.

$120 dollars worth of white label Pour 'n Go Blue Devil (1 bottle per 2 gallons of coolant, 6.4L- 4 bottles) and all sealed up, no more puking. Detuned back to 40 tune, have towed and flogged it. 4 months and zero issues or pukes. Didn't want to pull the thermostats to run the yellow label (which is supposed to be better per Blue Devil Products), so went with the white.

Was worried about heater core and oil cooler plugging, NO ISSUES, works perfectly. As time and $$$ allows, I'll get it in for the studs and gaskets.

I even drained the mix out of my truck and gave it to my friend with a 190k 318 cid Dodge 1500. He put it in his radiator and now loses no more coolant (was losing a quart a week).

You can call it snake oil, but it worked as advertised for me and would not hesitate to use it again, just FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!

Tim

So how’s the Blue Devil seal working? I just rolled over 176k miles, i don’t have a problem with coolant getting into the oil, but my truck is now puking when I’m up in higher RPM range like when passing another vehicle or towing my horse trailer. My truck is fully deleted and I have an H&S mini Max tuner, I do not run the Hot tunes. I have also changed my truck over from gold coolant to ELC coolant. At an idle my truck may have 2-3 max bubbles come up in the reservoir every 15-20 seconds (yes I timed it), I’m wanting to try the white label as you did, bc I really don’t have the time for my truck to sit at the moment. So my questions summed up are 1) How’s your truck doing after you did this? 2) Is it safe to leave it in there until next flush? 3) Is it ok to mix with coolant? I’d really appreciate any and all responses, Thanks