Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   2001 Expedition towing capacity (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/715458-2001-expedition-towing-capacity.html)

nvr4get343 03-03-2008 06:38 PM

2001 Expedition towing capacity

I currently own a 2001 Expedition. It is an XLT with the 5.4L V8. i have the tow package. i recently purchased my first travel trailer and was told by the salesman I could pull it no problem. When I towed it it was extremely uncomfortable. The trailer wieghs in at 7200 LBS dry weight. I am assuming loaded I will be in the neighborhood of 8000LBS. he is still telling me the Expedition will do it no problems. I of course disagree.
I am having difficulty figuring out what my weight limits are. He wont give me any answer other then "your fine".

I am not sure of my gear ratio but from what i can figure it really wont matter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Marc

makomarine 03-03-2008 10:15 PM

WOW! that seems like alot of weight for an expe... IMO.... i just sold a 23' classic that weighed in at 3500lbs.... and that was the lightest in it's class because the structure and the frame were all made out of aluminum; hence the light weight of that big of a trailer..... the mfg makes them to be able to pull by a "small" suv like an explorer etc; that said that would tax an explorere for exteneded periods of time...

how long is the 8000# trailer? if your pulling that with any type of regularity i would think you should get a F350 with a diesel/v10....

you could try load leveling bars? that may help... but just they weight alone seems like a lot.... (yes i know the ratings... bla bla bla ie "able to pull 10k lbs", but doesn't mean it's going to be pleasant pulling that 10k lbs!!)

how long is the trailer? tandem? triple axle?

projectSHO89 03-04-2008 06:32 AM

Check the axle ratio (door tag) then look up your engine transmission, driveline, and ratio in your owner's manual to see what the rated towing capacity is (page 172).

It's the salesman's job to sell you a trailer. He probably cares dick for whether or not it's safe. He probably figures that if you have to go buy a new truck in addition to the travel trailer, he'll loose the sale of the trailer.

shov76 03-04-2008 08:06 AM

I pulled a 7,000 pound TT from CT to Key West and back. Not to mention trips up and down the East Coast. Gearing is very important. Hopefully you have the 3.73's.
my max towing rate is 8,900.
Just bought a 29 footer that is 6,800 dry. Can't wait to go camping!!!!

shov76 03-04-2008 08:09 AM

Forgot to mention the importance of weight distibution bars and an anti sway device. I use the reese dual cam. It's both WD and anti-sway

2000Expy 03-04-2008 09:05 AM

You should have a towing manual in your owner's manual case. I don't think it's more than about 6000# for a 4x4. You have more towing capacity with 16" wheels than 17" wheels, and with 4x2 than 4x4. I forget how engine size plays into the equation.

projectSHO89 03-04-2008 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Expy
You should have a towing manual in your owner's manual case. I don't think it's more than about 6000# for a 4x4. You have more towing capacity with 16" wheels than 17" wheels, and with 4x2 than 4x4. I forget how engine size plays into the equation.

See the pages in the owner's manual I specified above.

Everything is there.

98EB-Expedition 03-04-2008 10:38 AM

I pull about 7k with mine 2300lbs car hauler and 4500lbs Jeep...I know thats less then what you are planning on pulling but mine doest it just fine. Get 9-10 miles to the gallon doing it as well. I would think you should be ok but that is a pretty heavy load.

rowekmr 03-04-2008 09:11 PM

Which year Explorers would be taxed by a 3500# TT? I routinely pulled my 8K boat/trailer with my old 98 Exp 5.0 AWD rated at 6600# around town (across state lines) up and down boat ramps and its replacement a 06 Exp Ltd 4.6 4X4 (rated about 7300#) also across state lines and in the local stop and go traffic with up to 4 passengers, even in 100 heat with the a/c on also the up and down of boat ramps. I have put on about 20K since I got it and haven't had any problems yet (I did get the ext warranty though). To my suprise I pulled my 31" BHDS travel trailer home with my Exp (7.5 empty) because I didn't have my Excursion yet and besides the enormous rear sag it did fine. I always thought my boat/trailer was about 6000# until I weighed it last year so I didn't plan to be over the limit.

Originally Posted by makomarine
WOW! that seems like alot of weight for an expe... IMO.... i just sold a 23' classic that weighed in at 3500lbs.... and that was the lightest in it's class because the structure and the frame were all made out of aluminum; hence the light weight of that big of a trailer..... the mfg makes them to be able to pull by a "small" suv like an explorer etc; that said that would tax an explorere for exteneded periods of time...

how long is the 8000# trailer? if your pulling that with any type of regularity i would think you should get a F350 with a diesel/v10....

you could try load leveling bars? that may help... but just they weight alone seems like a lot.... (yes i know the ratings... bla bla bla ie "able to pull 10k lbs", but doesn't mean it's going to be pleasant pulling that 10k lbs!!)

how long is the trailer? tandem? triple axle?

Yesprofit 03-08-2008 12:55 PM

My 98 5.4 4X4 is rated at 7900 lounds I believe. I am towing a 6000 pound (7600 loaded) trailer and it is sluggish on the inclines. I would recommend getting it scaled after it is loaded. Also remember the weight of the freight in the Expy as well. I have 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 labs, so I am close to capacity.

tykateexcursion 03-08-2008 11:17 PM

I pulled a 27' TT dry with a loaded weight of 7000, It has been two years sinc i looked at my book for max weight for a Expediton i thin max was 7500 for a 5.4 4x4 with 3.55. I really didn't liked how it pulled that first year. I went out and bought a used Excursion with a v10 which pulls as if the trailer is not behind the Excursion. also with the Excrusion the ride is much better fgor the family and do not have white knucles by the time i get to the camp site.

MisterCMK 03-09-2008 12:03 AM

To the OP, that rig you are looking at getting is too heavy for the Expedition to tow on a regular basis. Remember that you will have passengers, cargo in your truck and all of the clothes, food, water, etc that is loaded into your camper.

russellp 04-18-2011 12:48 PM

I had a 2004 Explorer with the 4L engine and towed a boat that had a loaded weight of about 56oolbs on the trailer and had absolutely no problem what so ever. The total length of the boat and trailer was about 27 feet. Never had an issue on major hills, highways or pulling it out of the water. I now have a 2010 F-150 with a 5.4 pulling the same load and doesn't even feel it behind at any time. I am sure that the Expedition should be able to handle that load.