Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Hydraulic oil blended with Diesel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/691035-hydraulic-oil-blended-with-diesel.html)

michaelbrainardatwor 01-03-2008 07:31 AM

Hydraulic oil blended with Diesel?

I have come across a nearly unlimited supply of lightly used hydraulic oil. Often, our test vehicles and protototypes here at work are filled with oil, tested for a short period of time then torn down and the oil is disposed of...sometimes with as little as an hour of use....sometimes 10-20 hours of use. One of our shop workers mentioned this and asked if I could use it in my diesel...

Has anyone tried?

monckywrench 01-03-2008 04:23 PM

What specific oil is used? Get an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) to find out what it is made of.

fixnair 01-03-2008 09:21 PM

I do it all the time in my 02 F350. #32 mostly but a lot of ATF also. I usually run straight oil. I don't blend it but you can if you want. I've even used synthetic hydraulic oil with no noticable drivability problems other than the exhaust smells like an old bus.

07psdrookie 01-06-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fixnair
I do it all the time in my 02 F350. #32 mostly but a lot of ATF also. I usually run straight oil. I don't blend it but you can if you want. I've even used synthetic hydraulic oil with no noticable drivability problems other than the exhaust smells like an old bus.

Do you heat the oil? I can probably get some hydraulic fluid from work as well. Would that need to be heated as well?

fixnair 01-06-2008 03:50 PM

No I don't heat but then I live in a temperate climate. Temps here rarely get down below 35° I also have a prefilter installed prior to my fuel pump to remove any big chunks from bucket loading my fuel.

07psdrookie 01-06-2008 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by fixnair
No I don't heat but then I live in a temperate climate. Temps here rarely get down below 35° I also have a prefilter installed prior to my fuel pump to remove any big chunks from bucket loading my fuel.

Wait. Are you running WMO or WVO?

fixnair 01-06-2008 11:56 PM

WMO I guess. It is used hydraulic oil.

shorthair 01-07-2008 03:25 PM

If it is dino based it will work fine if well filtered & you keep the blend reasonable. In warm weather I go 70/30 waste to dino 50/50 in colder temps. Filter at 2 microns through a water seperator before it gos into my tanks.

D8chumley 01-19-2008 08:15 AM

07psd it is STRONGLY recommended that you don't run anything thru these 6.0L injectors you're not supposed to. The 7.3 injectors weren't as finnicky and I know a few guys that ran various "additives" thru the fuel tank but NOT a good idea for us.

shorthair 01-19-2008 08:53 AM

It's a lot easier to justify injector replacement when they cost under $20 than when they sting you over $300.

D8chumley 01-19-2008 09:24 AM

Absolutely. I won't do it to my truck but thats just me.

07psdrookie 01-19-2008 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by D8chumley
07psd it is STRONGLY recommended that you don't run anything thru these 6.0L injectors you're not supposed to. The 7.3 injectors weren't as finnicky and I know a few guys that ran various "additives" thru the fuel tank but NOT a good idea for us.

My questions are just for knowledge rather than actually practicing them. I only run an additive (cetane/antigel) in my truck. I've got a buddy at work that experiments on his IDI and he doesn't care what happens to it, so I like messing around on here and getting ideas.

D8chumley 01-19-2008 02:40 PM

Gotcha, I do the same. In fact I learned that on here, as the contractor that built our pole barn garage told me he dumps the used wmo from his oil changes right into his 06 PSD fuel tank and I inquired about that on here. He said he did it in his older 7.3 and had almost 200k on it and never had a problem with that truck. I asked about that on here and got a firm NO WAY! This site is awesome:-X22

07psdrookie 01-19-2008 05:43 PM

I'd have no problem dumping WMO and Hydro fluid into my tank to save a buck...if the 6.0 wasn't so finnicky, you know. Well, especially since I have 4 years or 90k left on my warranty, I'd rather not void it.

D8chumley 01-20-2008 05:27 AM

Right! Unfortunately my warranty is gone so I gotsta be careful with MOST of what I do}>