Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   '94 E4OD kickdown switch (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/617400-94-e4od-kickdown-switch.html)

cowchasinsix 05-29-2007 10:56 AM

'94 E4OD kickdown switch

I need some help w/ a '94 Bronco w 302 and E4OD with only 52,000 miles. Sometimes when cruising @ 45-50 mph the transmission will "search" for a gear and feel like it's in neutral. This only happens when not being driven hard (1200-1500 rpm) and perhaps going up a slight hill and transmission needs to go down a gear. I am wondering about the switch mounted on driver's side fender which has cable attached to throttle. I don't think that it is connected properly. I can't find anything on this site regarding "kickdown" operations for the E4OD (Looking at it makes me believe it is more of a throttle position sensor for the tranny). Also my DIY manual didn't have much to say about E4OD. Anyway if any of this makes sense please help me out. In advance I had transmission serviced out (fluid flush and filter) didn't seem to help. I also know this isn't Bronco forum, just looking to post somewhere where everybody'll see it. Thanks.

pfogle 05-29-2007 11:36 AM

With and E4OD the kickdown is computer controlled. I'd start by changing the TPS. If that doesn't fix it pull the codes, a solenoid pack code should pop up.

andym 05-29-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cowchasinsix
Sometimes when cruising @ 45-50 mph the transmission will "search" for a gear and feel like it's in neutral.

Nope, sounds like the MLPS to me.

mhg 05-29-2007 05:08 PM

pull the codes first
also www.fordfuelinjection.com
a wealth of info on the e40d
test all parts before replacing
this can be one of dozens of things

jroehl 05-29-2007 06:42 PM

Cheapest and easiest thing to do first is to check and/or adjust your shift linkage. Next is to check your fluid--it could be burnt or low (just low enough to only be a problem on a hill). Then pull codes, your TPS may be bad, and when it goes, it makes your tranny feel like it's about to grenade itself. The E4OD is electronically controlled, so no, there is no physical kickdown system--it's all through the TPS and other engine parameters.

Jason

cowchasinsix 06-08-2007 02:48 PM

Fiddled with it some. Then replaced MLPS-- made it all better. Thanks to all for input.

frdracfan 07-19-2007 06:02 AM

Mlps???? What is that?

jroehl 07-19-2007 06:44 AM

Manual Lever Position Sensor. Tells your truck's computer what position your shift lever is in.

Jason

lostin90s 07-19-2007 07:17 PM

It on the shaft coming out of trans that you shift cable connects to . Remove cable 1 nut ,Unhook harness ,remove 2 bolts and the MLPS will come off. I have replaced on 4 of my trucks that had same symptoms and no codes . still did it. MLPS FIXED . But do pull codes may be something else.

LOST