Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Diesel fuel mixing with coolant problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/566958-diesel-fuel-mixing-with-coolant-problem.html)

rfmiles 01-11-2007 12:13 AM

Diesel fuel mixing with coolant problem

We have a 1999 F-250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. The diesel fuel is mixing in with the the engine coolant system and causing it come out the top of the reservor. We are loosing a lot of fuel. We are also having to shoot some ether in the breather to get it to start (not all the time). It runs very good going down the road. Would you know of any possible problems that would causes this?

Tenn01PSD350 01-11-2007 12:29 AM

Well of course we could have some ideas about how fuel gets into the coolant. Before I go any further, stop using ether to start the engine before you blow it up.

maevans 01-11-2007 05:36 AM

I had the same problem, Mine was a leaking injector cup, Had it fixed under warranty.

Poohbear 01-11-2007 05:57 AM

I'll second the either comment I have been down that road.

rfmiles 01-11-2007 08:17 AM

How much trouble it is to replace the injector cups? Is there information such as exploded picture view, and instructions on this forum or even a link to fixing this problem ourselves? After you you mention the injector cups I did some research on that and found a similiar post, but no suggestions on how to fix it. They also mention that you couldn't tell exactly which injector was bad but would be able to tell which side of the engine it is on.

rfmiles 01-11-2007 05:52 PM

Just wondering if anybody knew where I might find some info on this repair. Also what about the tool as well. Is there a way to pin point which sleeve or even which side that is bad, so we would only have to do the least amount of work at a cheaper cost. Is there going to more involved that just buying the sleeves.
Thanks

cookie88 01-11-2007 06:12 PM

To isolate which bank has leaking cups remove the fuel feed lines from the filter bowl and pressurize the coolant tank. Whichever of the fuel lines starts bubbling and spitting is the side with leaky cups.

The Injector cups are a press fit with lock tight holding them in. The removal tool is a deal that goes on a slide hammer and the installation tool is basically a blank of an injector used to drive them in place.

Welcome to FTE!!!

rfmiles 01-27-2007 11:33 AM

We pulled just 4 injectors on the drivers side. We can see coolant seeping through the sleeve on the 3rd one from firewall, but can't see in detailed yet, until we get it out.

Question I have is on the injector closest to the front of truck, the 'O' ring on the bottom has it's outer skin layer scraped off. I know this should be replaced, but is this 'O' ring holding the coolant from the fuel as well.

Also when we put Locktite on the sleeve to reseat it. Should we use just put it on the top layer or the top 2 layers of the sleeve. Should we use the strongest locktite also? We also don't have the tool to reseat it but we are planning on turning one out on the wooden lathe. Should we let this set up for any length of time before put the injector back in.

How do you post pixs in here, also?

rfmiles 01-27-2007 06:00 PM

*bump*bump*

Uzumati 01-27-2007 06:06 PM

Ford calls it thread lock 620. PM me your email address and I can send you a pdf showing the 2 sufaces to put it on as well as the whole procedure.

PowerstrokeJunkie 01-27-2007 06:08 PM

You can buy new injector o-ring kits, and i would replace all of the o-rings on the four that were removed. They aren't that expensive. And use Green Loctite on the injector cups.