Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   full flow oil filtering (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/477100-full-flow-oil-filtering.html)

ol'blue52 03-27-2006 12:46 AM

full flow oil filtering

Just wondering if anyone is using a full flow oil filtering system on their flathead V-8 engine?
Is it really worth the extra money on an occasional driver or would a stock filter with high quality oil and frequent changes be just as good?

Thanks,
Jesse

F6Guy 03-28-2006 04:07 PM

I too am looking at converting my motor to full flow filtering. Motorcity flathead has a pretty neat kit but its kinda pricey. But then again so is an engine rebuild. My main reason for doing this is so I can also install an oil cooler as well as a good spin on filter. I belive it to be worth the money to convert to a full flow system in the long run if the vehicle in question will be driven with any reularity, as far as every now and again I guess its not as critical.

flathead239 03-30-2006 05:04 PM

Flathead oiling

I have the Motorcity full flow kit in my flatty- excellent design & highly recommended.

As a bonus, it makes prelubing the motor prior to first startup each season a breeze!

Jeff
52 F3

ssj7kids 07-07-2008 03:20 PM

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but it came up when I did a search.
My engine guy is recomending a full flow filter and I want to use the existing filter to keep the stock look. His advice/reasoning is that the motor we are re-building had the oil ways in the crank completely plugged. His reasoning is that when you shut down the engine, any impurities in the oil will settle where they are, and stay there. With the old Flattie, only part of the oil goes through the filter and so your oil will always have stuff in it. I'm thinking especially with an occasional use vehicle this could be a bigger problem, rather than on a daily driver.

Has anyone had experience using the existing oil canister, and converting it to a full flow with a spin on filter?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

jmadsen 07-07-2008 06:27 PM

I dont know about using the existing can, but I heard someone mention using the original filter can as a small on engine tool storage compartment that way you can leave it on there for the looks but mount the real filter somewhere else. Not sure what tools would actually fit in there though?
I am also thinking I want a full flow filter setup on my engine assuming I ever get it in for rebuilding. :-blah
Josh

55 f350 07-08-2008 04:41 AM

it's on the wish list for me too . unfortuneately it's quite long ......................:eek:

petey shoes 07-08-2008 06:19 PM

well, might as well add my two cents--use my flattie almost every day. have a partial flow spin on filter (FOR EASE AND NEATNESS OF OIL CHANGE) connected to factory location. change oil three times a year and always clean. i'm not saying that oil doesn't get dark, cause it does, but it's not gritty or "fugly"! i also have a 3/4" magnet on oil drain plug-just in case. i definetly agree that full flow is BEST,but you can get away with partial. just keep clean oil in engine to prevent sludge buildup!

effie_man 07-09-2008 12:16 AM

its on my list for this winters rebuild but i kinda like the nostagic look of the stock cannister filter. I think the stock cannister is ok as long as you spend the time to clean the hell out of everything once and then maintain it with frequent oil changes etc. It should be fine.

Kruse 07-11-2008 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ssj7kids (Post 6324647)
His advice/reasoning is that the motor we are re-building had the oil ways in the crank completely plugged. His reasoning is that when you shut down the engine, any impurities in the oil will settle where they are, and stay there.

FWIW, (nothing) oil has come a long way over the last 60 years and I think modern oil, be it dino or synthetic, will not have the sludging or varnishing problems that older engines were subjected to. But.....do as you wish.

jmerson 08-30-2008 10:06 PM

Red's Headers has an install kit for not much money that is mainly a diagram on what to do to make the engine full flow. I did it on my 296" somewhat loaded engine and it works great. Not many miles but good oil pressure at all RPM's. Well worth the time and money because now every drop of oil is filtered.
Jim

Hades212 10-12-2008 11:33 PM

I bought a full flow kit off of E-bay but im not sure what it cost now.

jmerson 10-13-2008 11:24 AM

external pump

I don't know if this thread is still alive but has anyone ever done an external oil pump setup on a flathead? I got a three stage Moroso pump and going to put pickup tubes in the pan and was wondering if any one has any experience along these lines?
Jim

F6Guy 10-15-2008 08:45 PM

the only problem with reds kit is the motor needs to be dissasembled for install which sucks if the motor in question is up and running