Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   The steering wheel is locked in place (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/401907-the-steering-wheel-is-locked-in-place.html)

jbx119 08-12-2005 11:18 PM

The steering wheel is locked in place

Well I let my buddy borrow my truck (98 F-150 4x4) to go pick up a set of tires for his car and after getting them he tried to go start the truck and the steering wheel locked into place. He couldn't even get the key to turn. Well I went down to where he was and I tried juiggling the steering wheel back and forth to see if it would release but alas it failed. I have no idea what the problem is. I mean the wheels are straight and it is on a level surface. If any one could help me out it would be most apreciated.

IB Tim 08-13-2005 06:53 AM

...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.:-X22

captain p4 08-13-2005 11:51 AM

Did you try turning the wheel slighty to the right or left and turning the key at the same time? Sometimes when they lock its hard to get them unlocked.

jbx119 08-13-2005 12:34 PM

tried it with no luck

captain p4 08-13-2005 12:49 PM

hmm.. i don't know what to tell ya. I'm sure someone that's had this problem will be along though. good luck!

BrianA 08-13-2005 02:57 PM

Hmmm...
Every time I have had or seen this happen it was due to the steering wheel having pressure applied when the vehicle was parked and the ignition turned off.
Jiggling the steering wheel would not solve the problem. I had to pull the wheel in the direction opposite of the tension, and hold it there while turning the key.
But, if that ain't what's wrong, I have no idea. :-huh

captain p4 08-14-2005 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BrianA
Hmmm...
Every time I have had or seen this happen it was due to the steering wheel having pressure applied when the vehicle was parked and the ignition turned off.
Jiggling the steering wheel would not solve the problem. I had to pull the wheel in the direction opposite of the tension, and hold it there while turning the key.
But, if that ain't what's wrong, I have no idea. :-huh

Yeah, thats what i was trying to say, lol.

jbx119 08-14-2005 05:15 PM

I was told that the ignition may have went out of it. So it looks like I may have to replace it.

bigdaddyII 08-15-2005 06:25 AM

Funny thing is that I have the same problem, not with the steering wheel, but it seems that everytime I let one of my friends borrow something of mine, it always comes back with something broke. And the excuse is always the same......"The damn thing just did this or that".

lardman 08-15-2005 06:56 AM

This would happen in my 00 f150, especially if I parked on an incline. I had to rock back in fourth in the drivers seat to get the truck rocking and on the uphill-stroke, turn the wheel a bit and the ignition at the same time. Once I had to get out and push the thing forward, hold it, and reach in to turn the ignition. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Hopefully you haven't done anything drastic yet. Give it a try.

FordFrenzy97 09-05-2005 03:19 PM

same thing happened to me bad ignition switch

jbx119 09-15-2005 12:03 AM

Yeah it is all fixed now they had to replace the ignition switch and everything I was none to happy when I found out the cost $250 I felt raped.