Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Air Conditioning problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/272960-air-conditioning-problems.html)

matthew_thompson498 08-18-2004 07:02 PM

Air Conditioning problems

alright, im on the right track just need a little help. My AC is blowing hot air. the compressor clutch wont engage. I checked the low pressure switch and it IS good. i put 12V to the compressor and it worked so i know its an electrical problem, however i checked all the fuses and they're all good. the harness that plugs into the compressor has no voltage EVER. any ideas? thanks

Vin 95 08-18-2004 07:46 PM

You could check to see if your getting voltage TO to the A/C on off switch then see if its coming out of the switch when you turn it to ON.

Dealford 08-18-2004 08:44 PM

Depending on the year, some have a relay (A/C & WOT) in the power distribution box under the hood. You might want to check that before you dig into everything else.
AL. :-wink

TigerDan 08-18-2004 09:58 PM

When you say you put 12V to the comp. clutch and it worked, do you mean the clutch engaged, or do you mean the clutch engaged AND the A/C blew cold? My mom has an '88 Taurus, I was getting power at the press. switch but none to the compressor clutch. It's routed through the PCM so that it knows when the A/C is on and it can adjust the idle speed, etc. accordingly. I don't know what caused the problem, but I ran the power direct from the pressure switch to the compressor, she just has to remember to turn the A/C off before she starts it or it sometimes dies. Might be the same for you. -TD

matthew_thompson498 08-19-2004 05:46 AM

yeah tiger i checked it out again and the clutch engaged but there was still hot air... weird.

matthew_thompson498 08-19-2004 05:54 AM

vin i will check the switch like you were saying--good idea! The truck is a 1995 if that tells you anything, but what does wide open throttle have to do with the ac?

TigerDan 08-19-2004 09:06 AM

OK, if the clutch is engaged but you are blowing hot air, then most likely your refrigerant charge is low. The pressure switch will keep the clutch from engaging when the the pressure is too low or too high. If the charge is low, no cooling! Have it checked, or buy a simple gauge at and auto parts store, and check the low side pressure. With the compressor clutch jumpered, you want to see 25 psi min. at idle with R-134A. And if it's low, don't run it for too long with it jumpered, because your not carrying much lubricant through the system, and you don't want to risk toasting the compressor. (And to answer the above, the computer will cut out the A/C during WOT to reduce the drag on the engine for passing power)

Vin 95 08-19-2004 10:22 AM

I agree with Dan, if you jumped the compressor and get no cold air,it needs a charge,you could get a coolant installer hose and a can of freon and hook it up then jump the compressor for a few seconds and see if it takes the freon. your switch may check good,but without a charge it won't turn on the comrpessor.the coolant adaptor is only $6-8.

matthew_thompson498 08-19-2004 12:31 PM

now that you explained it--it all seems clear now... thanks for your help... i'll reply again if i have any troubles

TigerDan 08-19-2004 06:43 PM

But if you have to charge it, DON'T put the R-134A with stop-leak in it, make sure you get straight R-134A. That stop-leak crap can really foul up your system. -TD

matthew_thompson498 08-19-2004 07:21 PM

would it be safe to say that, if i quickly pushed in the shrader valve that the low pressure switch is on and nothing came out--i am out of refrigerant? I am thinking that there is a broken line somewhere due to the fact that the day before the ac quit working it was cold as ice.

matthew_thompson498 08-19-2004 07:34 PM

i just pushed in the shrader valve and some green stuff shot out at me and some air came out. also i jumped the low pressure switch (bypassed the switch) and the compressor kicked in. everything is pointing to the refrigerant, but i'm still skeptical due to the sudden stopping of it working. oh yeah, and when i bypassed the switch it was still blowing hot air. assuming that the refrigerant is all gone--would i be able to recharge the whole system myself? how many bottles would it take, how much would it cost, and how would i do it? thanks

Vin 95 08-20-2004 11:32 AM

Its easy, get a freon can adapter.$8. its just a valve and hose that hooks the freon can to the low side shrader valve.hook the can up and turn the valve with the truck running and if the compressor dosn't kick on,jump it for a minute and see if it takes the freon.hold the can upright and shake it a little while installing.if the freon is going in the system properly,the can will get cold in your hand.134A is only about $6 a can.off hand I would say to get at least 3 cans.Put one in and see if it gets cold,then put another,then another until it get as cold as you want.My 95 model with 2.3L is blowing 39 degrees out the front vent(checked with digital thermomitor).

Librac23 08-21-2004 12:08 AM

Ac

Having Similar Problems....did everything like you all did...but mine still blows Hot.. and I got the can that has the little pressure gauge on the side...it kicked on @ about 45psi...but I think that my AC Compressor is shot..cause it doesnt stay on for very long..

matthew_thompson498 08-21-2004 11:53 AM

you jumped the low pressure switch? when you did that did it stay on? how bout when you jumped the battery to the compressor?