Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2004, 08:02 PM
New User

matthew_thompson498 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air Conditioning problems

alright, im on the right track just need a little help. My AC is blowing hot air. the compressor clutch wont engage. I checked the low pressure switch and it IS good. i put 12V to the compressor and it worked so i know its an electrical problem, however i checked all the fuses and they're all good. the harness that plugs into the compressor has no voltage EVER. any ideas? thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Elder User

Vin 95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could check to see if your getting voltage TO to the A/C on off switch then see if its coming out of the switch when you turn it to ON.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Postmaster

Dealford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Depending on the year, some have a relay (A/C & WOT) in the power distribution box under the hood. You might want to check that before you dig into everything else.
AL.
63 Fairlane, Gone to my buddy Chuck.
It Aint Fun Unless It's Done The Hard Way!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
When you say you put 12V to the comp. clutch and it worked, do you mean the clutch engaged, or do you mean the clutch engaged AND the A/C blew cold? My mom has an '88 Taurus, I was getting power at the press. switch but none to the compressor clutch. It's routed through the PCM so that it knows when the A/C is on and it can adjust the idle speed, etc. accordingly. I don't know what caused the problem, but I ran the power direct from the pressure switch to the compressor, she just has to remember to turn the A/C off before she starts it or it sometimes dies. Might be the same for you. -TD

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 AM
New User

yeah tiger i checked it out again and the clutch engaged but there was still hot air... weird.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 AM
New User

vin i will check the switch like you were saying--good idea! The truck is a 1995 if that tells you anything, but what does wide open throttle have to do with the ac?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
OK, if the clutch is engaged but you are blowing hot air, then most likely your refrigerant charge is low. The pressure switch will keep the clutch from engaging when the the pressure is too low or too high. If the charge is low, no cooling! Have it checked, or buy a simple gauge at and auto parts store, and check the low side pressure. With the compressor clutch jumpered, you want to see 25 psi min. at idle with R-134A. And if it's low, don't run it for too long with it jumpered, because your not carrying much lubricant through the system, and you don't want to risk toasting the compressor. (And to answer the above, the computer will cut out the A/C during WOT to reduce the drag on the engine for passing power)

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Elder User

I agree with Dan, if you jumped the compressor and get no cold air,it needs a charge,you could get a coolant installer hose and a can of freon and hook it up then jump the compressor for a few seconds and see if it takes the freon. your switch may check good,but without a charge it won't turn on the comrpessor.the coolant adaptor is only $6-8.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:31 PM
New User

now that you explained it--it all seems clear now... thanks for your help... i'll reply again if i have any troubles
Old 08-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

But if you have to charge it, DON'T put the R-134A with stop-leak in it, make sure you get straight R-134A. That stop-leak crap can really foul up your system. -TD

Old 08-19-2004, 08:21 PM
New User

would it be safe to say that, if i quickly pushed in the shrader valve that the low pressure switch is on and nothing came out--i am out of refrigerant? I am thinking that there is a broken line somewhere due to the fact that the day before the ac quit working it was cold as ice.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:34 PM
New User

i just pushed in the shrader valve and some green stuff shot out at me and some air came out. also i jumped the low pressure switch (bypassed the switch) and the compressor kicked in. everything is pointing to the refrigerant, but i'm still skeptical due to the sudden stopping of it working. oh yeah, and when i bypassed the switch it was still blowing hot air. assuming that the refrigerant is all gone--would i be able to recharge the whole system myself? how many bottles would it take, how much would it cost, and how would i do it? thanks
Old 08-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Elder User

Its easy, get a freon can adapter.$8. its just a valve and hose that hooks the freon can to the low side shrader valve.hook the can up and turn the valve with the truck running and if the compressor dosn't kick on,jump it for a minute and see if it takes the freon.hold the can upright and shake it a little while installing.if the freon is going in the system properly,the can will get cold in your hand.134A is only about $6 a can.off hand I would say to get at least 3 cans.Put one in and see if it gets cold,then put another,then another until it get as cold as you want.My 95 model with 2.3L is blowing 39 degrees out the front vent(checked with digital thermomitor).
Old 08-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Freshman User

Librac23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Ac

Having Similar Problems....did everything like you all did...but mine still blows Hot.. and I got the can that has the little pressure gauge on the side...it kicked on @ about 45psi...but I think that my AC Compressor is shot..cause it doesnt stay on for very long..
Old 08-21-2004, 12:53 PM
New User

you jumped the low pressure switch? when you did that did it stay on? how bout when you jumped the battery to the compressor?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:53 PM