Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Early ICP in a late year model engine: Any benefits?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326728-early-icp-in-a-late-year-model-engine-any-benefits.html)

cheezit 07-23-2014 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 04badford (Post 14529531)
correct me if Im wrong late built ICPV needs 0.2v to start ?

Per the request, your corrected }>. It needs the equivalent of a input equal to 500 psi. The icpv for that is .85v.

04badford 07-23-2014 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529546)
Per the request, your corrected }>. It needs the equivalent of a input equal to 500 psi. The icpv for that is .85v.

Thank you Sir:-X22 Dam cheat sheet:-X04

Yahiko 07-23-2014 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529543)
Vref is always 5v, its 5v on every sensor on a 5v ref system.
Im not sure if this is the question you asked.
Sensor aka pcm imputs are 5 volts, solenoids aka outputs are alway 12v.
Please understand always to mean in most cases in 12v systems on cars/trucks.
Theres some old ball stuff out there with 12v sence wiring like what caterpillar does with the adms system.

Thanks, I was not sure if it was 5V on both sides of the year line.

Sean https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=149188

bismic 07-23-2014 09:34 PM

Well ...................

I drove her pretty hard today. Broke the tires loose a couple of times on a few (near) WOT runs. All-in-all, I must say I am very happy w/ the performance. Very responsive.

Now, that being said .......... I would have to say the results are probably inconclusive.

The first WOT run, I blew quite a bit of smoke out. Who knows if I freed up the vanes a little or maybe even there was more of a bias on my old ICP sensor, because it is old (after all they only last a year and I am going on 8 yrs w/ this original sensor - lol).

Then again, it could just be the oil change and wash/wax syndrome ............. you just convince yourself that it is better because you want to believe it.

cheezit 07-23-2014 09:38 PM

The only way to proge it per numbers would be to tee in a manual gauge.
But its interresting so far

Yahiko 07-23-2014 09:38 PM

The bast way to avoid any visual bias would be a GoPro hanging
on the side to watch the pipe. Then have people watch the before
and after. Then you let them pick before you tell them.

bismic 07-23-2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529502)
Thats it.
It also hedges on how the pcm is set up to read the voltage. Josh was heading on this somewhat.
So is the 03 pcm calibrated with a different starting point? I dont know
Icpv on an 03 truck is .19v on avarge.
Icpv on a later truck is .24v 8n avarge.
That would be pid values at koeo.
Now the pced no start for both truck states that .85v is what is need to start the truck. The pcm is not concerned with the pressure its only looking at voltage. Icp pressure is just a diagnostic pid for the tech.
So looking at the charts its 400 to 500 psi bais @ the .5v differance.
So does the old icpnsensor become latterly less biased as pressure incresses, does the pcm compinsate for it via programing, or is there a glich that one can exploit for a cheep but small bit of performance.
I just dont know, but hey all in the name of fun.... ive had dumber ideas that have failed worse Im sure.

I have enjoyed the discussion Moe - definitely thought provoking to say the least. I would say that for an ex-tech like yourself, it would be worth scrounging one up and trying it! Lets see what you think.

Me - I am going to at least enjoy testing it for a few more days }>

reps to ya when I can

cheezit 07-23-2014 09:40 PM

Ya I know were to find one, I just have to drive to dallas, I hate dallas. I may know were one ls local.

Yahiko 07-23-2014 09:50 PM

Why not ask Anthony when he gets back about it.
I know that he said something about a guy near
the old shop with a chassis dyno. that would really
give some good data.

cheezit 07-23-2014 09:54 PM

Now theres an idea

cheezit 07-23-2014 09:56 PM

I dont think all ever be an ex tech... not till im in a box anyway. I dont think thats something that ever goes away.
Working on 3612 and 3616 cats right now, have a 3516 comming in next.

Yahiko 07-23-2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529751)
Now theres an idea

It would give some hard data and while it running use the IDS
to datalog it

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529759)
I dont think all ever be an ex tech... not till im in a box anyway. I dont think thats something that ever goes away.
Working on 3612 and 3616 cats right now, have a 3516 comming in next.

I think even when we wed up in the box we are looking at ways to remove the screws and get OUT as a Zombie-tech.

Rusty Axlerod 07-24-2014 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529502)
Thats it.
It also hedges on how the pcm is set up to read the voltage. Josh was heading on this somewhat.
So is the 03 pcm calibrated with a different starting point? I dont know
Icpv on an 03 truck is .19v on avarge.
Icpv on a later truck is .24v 8n avarge.
That would be pid values at koeo.
Now the pced no start for both truck states that .85v is what is need to start the truck. The pcm is not concerned with the pressure its only looking at voltage. Icp pressure is just a diagnostic pid for the tech.
So looking at the charts its 400 to 500 psi bais @ the .5v differance.
So does the old icpnsensor become latterly less biased as pressure incresses, does the pcm compinsate for it via programing, or is there a glich that one can exploit for a cheep but small bit of performance.
I just dont know, but hey all in the name of fun.... ive had dumber ideas that have failed worse Im sure.

So, do I win something? :) if so, do I have to share it with Josh? :-huh

I will say after all that reading I know a little more about the ICP's job and it's a bit more complicate than I imagined. Never did find out exactly how it works except it's referred to as a "variable capacitance" sensor in some International literature.

cheezit 07-24-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod (Post 14530138)
So, do I win something? :) if so, do I have to share it with Josh? :-huh

I will say after all that reading I know a little more about the ICP's job and it's a bit more complicate than I imagined. Never did find out exactly how it works except it's referred to as a "variable capacitance" sensor in some International literature.

Congratulations you one the gift of some more completly useless knowledge. You can share if you choose:D

04badford 07-24-2014 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 14529546)

It must of been a looong day, from the notes the 0.2v that I was referring to was KOEO not start, so when you start Juicing the sensor at cranking .85+ BAM you get Diesel start. We need a kick my self in the Nads Icon:-X04