Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   2014 SD 6.2L questions.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1293530-2014-sd-6-2l-questions.html)

Go Big or Go Home! 01-25-2014 10:23 AM

2014 SD 6.2L questions....

Now that I have had truck a month and have put 1000 miles on her, I am curious about a few things with this truck. I notice some kind of FAN kicks on when the truck is started and continues to hear it even when shifting gears and driving truck..Is this normal for this engine/SD. Also, the dreaded vibration at 45-50mph..I thought I got away from that from the F150 but it has the same characteristics at the exact same speed.. Do you guys have same with the 6.2L? Mine is the 172WB so I am wondering if it is because I got long bed,,same with F150 had the 6.5 bed... I am enjoying the new SD, sounds great, 13 mpg's all city. Can anyone offer any feedback? Before I go racing off the dealer (2 hrs away) just curious what others are experiencing..

GASPIG88 01-25-2014 11:12 AM

My 2012 does it, my dads 2013 does it, my bosses 2011 does too

Go Big or Go Home! 01-25-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GASPIG88 (Post 13995512)
My 2012 does it, my dads 2013 does it, my bosses 2011 does too

Does what? The fan noise or the vibration? Or both?

GASPIG88 01-25-2014 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home! (Post 13995741)
Does what? The fan noise or the vibration? Or both?

Just the fan now, the vibration quit after the first month or so.... sorry I failed to mention that in the last post.:-X18

BigMix 01-25-2014 04:47 PM

No vibration. It rides smooth until I hit a bump then it will shake you silly. I haven't notice any fan noise, but if I could get 13mpg in the city I would gladly have a fan blowing.:D Sometimes when it is cold it does have a louder than normal whirring noise.

projectnitemare 01-25-2014 05:29 PM

Being both of you have CCLB trucks, do either of you get a pulse from the ABS while making turns? Say like 15mph and hit a bump in the road, it gives a quick hit of the ABS like spining a tire or sliding. The dealer is telling me it's characteristic of the truck. My fan is loud also, most mechanical fans are.

22rimfire 01-25-2014 06:44 PM

Mine is a CCSB, but I do get the pulse on the brake while turning slowly on a downhill corner by my house. I don't don't have either of the other two issues. Yours have the two piece driveline right? I have heard some of those will vibrate under certain conditions. Seems like I recall that a spacer that lowers the driveline joint helps? Good luck.

RBALAN 01-25-2014 09:51 PM

Not sure about the vibration as I have never noticed any, but I have heard the fan noise.

As far as the brake pulse goes, see if it does the same thing with traction control off. My truck will do this turning into my neighborhood with it on but not when I turn it off, so I'm surmising its the elocker de-activating.

Thenewboss 01-26-2014 07:47 AM

My fan is loud, my injectors are loud, the engine ROARS when it’s cold. I had serious bump steer but the new shocks and steering stab fixed that. If AdvancTrac is on and the tires become “un-planted” the ABS will kick in, mine does on bumpy or rough roads, more so under hard braking. 2 sets of tires and 56,000 miles and I still get a vibe at 45 and 65, I’ve learned to live with it plus the new shocks and airbags dampen it out for the most part. The adaptive learning on this thing is amazing, if you don’t like the way it’s driving, reset the computer and try something else, the truck will operate in accordance with your driving habits. It is a noisy truck but once you get used to it you’ll barely notice it.

GASPIG88 01-26-2014 10:00 AM

No bump steer
no vibration at any speeds

Just a loud fan when its cold and this ticking/tacking that lead to the up coming engine replacement

Happy about getting a shining new 6.2 }>

As for the ABS.... never had an issue but i will keep an eye on it

P.S. I spoke to my dad and his didn't have vibration at all... just the fan noise

I'm thinking about that livernois cam shaft kit :-drink that'll maker scoot

Powelligator 01-26-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by projectnitemare (Post 13996490)
Being both of you have CCLB trucks, do either of you get a pulse from the ABS while making turns? Say like 15mph and hit a bump in the road, it gives a quick hit of the ABS like spining a tire or sliding. The dealer is telling me it's characteristic of the truck. My fan is loud also, most mechanical fans are.

YES! I have been thinking that this is "just me", but my truck (SuperCab Long Bed) does this exact same thing. Trouble is, I can't reproduce it, in that if I get the "ABS bump" making a turn and I go back around and retrace my path it won't do it a second, or a third but might do it the fourth time around. Yeah, try taking that to my dealer, I'll get laughed out of the service bay.

My fan comes on loud when it's cold, but after it warms up it's silent.

-Joe

Go Big or Go Home! 01-26-2014 02:05 PM

ok, great the fan noise is normal,, I can check that off. The vibration is a issue, I will bring to dealer,,i bet it is driveshaft, either needs grease or out of balance. We will see what there mech's think is best way to minimize..

BigMix 01-26-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by projectnitemare (Post 13996490)

I definitely get the tire sliding. Had no idea it could be related to the ABS or AdvancTrac. I just assumed it had more to do with the stiffness of the rear suspension when unloaded in combination with the factory 245/75/17s at 80psi. I never hear a noise from the ABS or tires squealing. It just seems to "float" to the opposite direction of the turn.

Go Big or Go Home! 01-27-2014 02:53 PM

Just when I checked off one issue another pops up. The dreaded injector tap. Heard it today under cold start..Boy that was loud..I went and threw in some Lucas Upper Cylinder lubricant and drove off. I never heard again even when got home. Truck engine was nice and warm. I will see how it goes in morning..Suppose to be in 20's. If it starts up again it will be at dealer. I am not going to listen to that for the next 10 years. Cant Ford build a truck anymore..Between this and the vibration..really wondering if Ford is going back to there ways of the 80's..Maybe they should took some Govt money if it meant getting better parts in these trucks...

JohnnyThunder 01-28-2014 07:20 AM

I get the fan noise every once in a while but have no idea what you are refering to as to the vibration as mine is smooth as silk. Also never have got the abs kicking in and I drive on some pretty rough roads. Are you sure the engine rattle you heard was injectors? Mine makes a racket every once in a while and I was told it is the cam phasars, although it happens more often with a warm engine than cold. The first time that happened it scared the crap out of me I was right in front of the dealers shop that time.