Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   56 F100 Build (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1291409-56-f100-build.html)

grayse 01-15-2014 09:07 AM

56 F100 Build

Good Morning... I am new to the group. But I am not new to being a FORD lover.

At the age of 12 I bought my first F-1, a 1948 Rust bucket, that over the course of 12 years turned into my baby. I have owned 8 Ford cars and trucks over the years. I just retired a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer, that I loved, but can no longer keep on the road due to a check engine lite that will cost over $2000 to fix. I cant justify putting that much money into something that is quickly becoming succumb to rust. The back door fell off last week.

I just recently purchased a 1956 F350 cab, and I have an idea of mounting the 56 truck on the 2001 Mountaineer frame....

Anyone with experience doing such a daunting task is encouraged to respond to this post.

I am also looking for parts for a 56 F100 if anyone is out there that has some... Specifically, doors, grill and fenders..

I appreciate any help you can add...

Scott

Rimrock F1 01-15-2014 09:17 AM

Welcome Scott, there are a few on here that have accomplished a frame swap and many that have attempted the same. It can be done, requires a ton of time and talent or a ton of cash. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on both sides. I hope you have thick skin, this is one of those topics that brings out strong opinions. Good luck with your truck regardless of what you decide to do.

bigwin56f100 01-15-2014 09:18 AM

Scott, welcome to the forum, I will start out by saying frame swaps are no easy task and most times end in failure. Not to say it cant be done, just a lot of work.

WALFORD'S 56 01-15-2014 09:46 AM

Welcome to fte.
Bill

CharlieLed 01-15-2014 11:53 AM

Welcome Scott. My advice would be to find a good 56 project truck and start off with a sound platform to build upon. I think that it is our nature to want to take a pile of parts that we have in hand and make something of it...unfortunately many times it turns out to be an exercise in futility. Buying a truck a piece at a time can also get very pricey.

grayse 01-15-2014 02:32 PM

I have already had a few people tell me I am nuts.. But I am up for the challenge. I really want to build this truck as a daily driver. So I am more inclined to use a more modern frame, suspension and drivetrain. I have the talents, not the time, but I need to make time... Here is a sample of what I am capable of. I started this when I was 12 and finished it on my wedding day 12 years later. I am sure that this will be a long process..https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...61_n.jpg?lvh=1

Jolly Roger Joe 01-15-2014 04:27 PM

Well, that's certainly a beautiful truck! :-jammin

I really like the tinted windows also. I'm thinking about doing that with my truck as our summers are quite hot.

Welcome to FTE!

old_dan 01-15-2014 10:43 PM

Your early work is great!

If you want to shave time off of the project you need to establish a budget and a plan. One possibility is to go with a new frame from a company like TCI. Expensive, but all new and your vintage body parts would be a bolt-on easily.

On the other hand, the original frames are pretty tough. Consider keeping your frame and installing a new Mustang II independent front suspension (IFS). There are also a lot of options for rear suspension.

Keep up posted on your project!!

Dan

AXracer 01-15-2014 11:29 PM

Please ignore. Sorry

bjmayberry2 01-16-2014 10:18 AM

Welcome Scott

You could also go cheap and install a Crown Vic IFS, Motor 4.6 SOHC (or a DOHC), transmission, and a Ford Mustang/TBird or Mark VIII IRS. Very reliable, disks on all four sides, original frame, less head aches & overdrive to boot. :-jammin

grayse 09-20-2014 10:12 PM

Hello all.. I have not posted in a while.... Update... I just purchased a 1966 f100 frame and a 1986 302 EFI engine. I am converting the engine to carb and found a set of engine perches to put on frame. I have a C4 from a 68 mustang. I am going to install the 56 cab on this frame when complete.
There are two sets of holes in the frame that I can bolt to.. I have the taller frame perches, which I believe are for a I6/Fe engine, but have read differing posts that they wont work with the 302...
Has anyone had any luck using these perches, and should I use the the holes that will set it in the forward mount or should I use the back mounts?

Any help is appreciated...

Scott

bjmayberry2 09-20-2014 10:25 PM

Is there something wrong with the 56's frame? You need to make sure what NY uses for official VIN. Many states use the number stamped on the passenger side frame rail.
Many vendors sale the motor mount crossmember for almost all Ford engines.

grayse 09-20-2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 (Post 14681509)
Is there something wrong with the 56's frame? You need to make sure what NY uses for official VIN. Many states use the number stamped on the passenger side frame rail.
Many vendors sale the motor mount crossmember for almost all Ford engines.

Its OK to frame swap in NY.... there is no frame with the 56... I bought a F350 cab with vin number... I have not found any vendors that sell the engine stands...

old_blue1 09-20-2014 10:57 PM

Beauty of a truck. I would just upgrade the suspension and brakes on there now. Less down time and cost. I would want to drive it all the time.

bjmayberry2 09-21-2014 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by grayse (Post 14681556)
I have not found any vendors that sell the engine stands...

Are you talking about the crossmember that the motor mounts bolt to?