Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Left for work last nite, home on a tow truck 5 1/2 hrs later (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1268744-left-for-work-last-nite-home-on-a-tow-truck-5-1-2-hrs-later.html)

KINGDAR 09-20-2013 01:44 PM

Left for work last nite, home on a tow truck 5 1/2 hrs later

So much Time, energy,and money, put into this truck. It all seems wasted and futile again. I really like (used to be love) my truck, spent many many hrs, days updatein, fixin, polishin, rebuilding, + countless hrs here studyin, learning, gettin advice (which is priceless, and I seriously thank you all for that, makes me all warm & fuzzy thinkin 'bout the money I've saved and the knowlage I've gained from this Forum, thanks again for that, givin freely, to the masses) tinkerin, and maintaining this truck, doing every thing I possibley could to keep her happy. I would have kicked a woman to the curb long ago if she was this tempermental and high maintainence....So if your still with me I headed out to work early last nite to compensate for the time it takes me to go around all the washed out bridges here in colorado (just about all of them) truck was runnin good, I was happy thinking about all the repairs I'd done 2 months ago including a new oil cooler,welded shut the EGR, HPOP rebuild, Turbo rebuild, blue spring upgrade, new degass bottle, new raidiator hoses, and wireing clean up. not to mention all previous repairs, too many to list. Then after comming off the interstate and leaveing a stoplite started loseing power and died almost before I could get thru traffic to the side of hwy 34. smelt and could see raw vaporized fuel comming from under hood. Truck would start and run very rough for a minute and die with vaporized fuel everywhere but lookin over the top and crawling under I couldn't find the source. sorry bout the long post I'm procrastinating getting out side and tearin it apart enough to get a better look in there. The truck will still start, all hoses, intake and exhaust pipes seem to be intack so I'm going to go inspect a little more throughly. Any takers????:(

MC5C 09-20-2013 02:05 PM

Cracked fuel filter lid?

KINGDAR 09-20-2013 03:36 PM

So far I've found a cracked bellows in my up pipe, passenger side so I'm going to take it off and weld a strait pipe on it then see if there are other issues.

m-chan68 09-20-2013 04:01 PM

Okay, so what exactly are we leaking? Exhaust fumes or fuel? If it is fuel, I will agree with the post above. There really isn't too many places where fuel can possibly leak out under the hood, given that the fuel passages are internal to the cylinder heads, save for the secondary fuel filter housing along with the supply/return lines to it and the supply lines to each cylinder head. All of this is pretty much located to the area around the driver side front of the engine compartment (with the exception of the supply line to the right head). So pinpointing the source shouldn't really be too difficult.

KINGDAR 09-20-2013 05:40 PM

ok after further inspection I've got exhaust and what seems to me to be unburnt fuel comming out of that crack in the bellows on the egr side. almost seemed like it was hydrolocked when I started it up and it idled fairly good. I cleaned it all up and am waitin for it to dry before I attack it again.

KINGDAR 09-20-2013 08:13 PM

Not sure if they are but would blown head gaskets still allow the truck to start. Also could this cause the motor to hydro lock, or could I maybe have an injector stuck open? Or should I install a bunch of C-4 under the oil pan and hope insurance pays for a new Dodge??

jswartz84 09-20-2013 08:22 PM

Is it hydrolocked? It won't start if it is.

m-chan68 09-20-2013 08:29 PM

Is it unburned FUEL or COOLANT you see exiting crack from the bellows? Chances are pretty good it's coolant, likely from a failed EGR cooler.

big inch 09-20-2013 09:15 PM

If it is indeed fuel coming out of the exhaust, then you may have a stuck open injector. I am in the process of replacing a piston and head on a 03 that the owner drove a couple hundred miles with the #7 injector dumping fuel in the cylinder. It looks like someone took a torch to the top of the piston and valves.

raptor131 09-20-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by KINGDAR (Post 13550827)
So much Time, energy,and money, put into this truck. It all seems wasted and futile again. I really like (used to be love) my truck, spent many many hrs, days updatein, fixin, polishin, rebuilding, + countless hrs here studyin, learning, gettin advice (which is priceless, and I seriously thank you all for that, makes me all warm & fuzzy thinkin 'bout the money I've saved and the knowlage I've gained from this Forum, thanks again for that, givin freely, to the masses) tinkerin, and maintaining this truck, doing every thing I possibley could to keep her happy. I would have kicked a woman to the curb long ago if she was this tempermental and high maintainence....So if your still with me I headed out to work early last nite to compensate for the time it takes me to go around all the washed out bridges here in colorado (just about all of them) truck was runnin good, I was happy thinking about all the repairs I'd done 2 months ago including a new oil cooler,welded shut the EGR, HPOP rebuild, Turbo rebuild, blue spring upgrade, new degass bottle, new raidiator hoses, and wireing clean up. not to mention all previous repairs, too many to list. Then after comming off the interstate and leaveing a stoplite started loseing power and died almost before I could get thru traffic to the side of hwy 34. smelt and could see raw vaporized fuel comming from under hood. Truck would start and run very rough for a minute and die with vaporized fuel everywhere but lookin over the top and crawling under I couldn't find the source. sorry bout the long post I'm procrastinating getting out side and tearin it apart enough to get a better look in there. The truck will still start, all hoses, intake and exhaust pipes seem to be intack so I'm going to go inspect a little more throughly. Any takers????:(

Originally Posted by m-chan68 (Post 13551750)
Is it unburned FUEL or COOLANT you see exiting crack from the bellows? Chances are pretty good it's coolant, likely from a failed EGR cooler.

welded shut the EGR.

I could see a weld breaking. Never trusted welded egr coolers. Deleted is always fail safe

m-chan68 09-20-2013 09:42 PM

Pull all glow plugs off the passenger side cylinder head. Disconnect all four injectors on that bank. Crank the engine over to pinpoint the offending cylinder(s). Identify the fluid. If it's fuel. Pull all four injectors to pinpoint the offending injector(s). If it's coolant, the EGR cooler is your culprit.

04badford 09-20-2013 10:45 PM

Easy test for EGR cooler, park nose down hill over nite and pull EGR valve, look for wet intake.

KINGDAR 09-21-2013 12:16 AM

Ok after a good power washing and a quick startup to move back into the driveway I'm thinkin stuck injector because of all the raw fuel comming out of the crack and stacks.I did the welding on the EGR, two plugs on each end so I don't think its coolant. I wanted to delete it but also want to pass the sight inspection for emissions.

Bonanza35 09-21-2013 12:56 AM

Want to here how this one goes. Please let us know when its fixed.

KINGDAR 09-21-2013 01:08 PM

[quote=m-chan68;13551968]"Pull all glow plugs off the passenger side cylinder head. Disconnect all four injectors on that bank. Crank the engine over to pinpoint the offending cylinder(s). Identify the fluid. If it's fuel. Pull all four injectors to pinpoint the offending injector". (Not sure I'm getting this right. I'm pulling the glow plugs to see what comes out of the hole while cranking over motor. correct? If I disconect the injectors how will I know which ones bad?