Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Fuel Gauge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1245713-fuel-gauge.html)

hammer65 05-27-2013 06:16 AM

Fuel Gauge

Yesterday, I started my truck and the LOW FUEL indicator light came on.
Fuel Gauge showed empty, but I had just fueled the day before.

After driving about a mile, and then restarting, it now works again.

Any ideas?

lartross 05-27-2013 09:06 AM

iffy ground?

guitarpicr 05-27-2013 12:32 PM

Or maybe the float stuck down & got freed up after you drove it a little.

diehardstroker 05-27-2013 02:02 PM

ive been parked on steep hills with the front facing down and the fuel gauge has shown empty and the light came on, as soon as i got on level ground i watched it rise, pretty cool since every other time its going down haha

bakerbuilttracks 05-27-2013 11:05 PM

these floats and or sending units in the tank are mounted on the back side of the pick up foot. The tank also dose not have any baffles in it.

If parked nose down you will notice low fuel on ur gauge. If nose up it will show full or fuller than you are.

OP..... Most likely if you ran it below a 1/4 tank before filling up like Bill mentioned it probably got stuck for a bit then freed back up.

Watch your mileage per tank and if it keeps reoccurring then might need to drop the tank and inspect, also a good time for hutch and harpoon.

hammer65 05-28-2013 05:29 AM

Thanks everyone. Jim

rtalich 10-14-2013 08:21 AM

I am experiencing this problem... did a search and found that a lot of people have too. But no resolution was posted.

diehardstroker 10-14-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks (Post 13200600)
these floats and or sending units in the tank are mounted on the back side of the pick up foot. The tank also dose not have any baffles in it.

If parked nose down you will notice low fuel on ur gauge. If nose up it will show full or fuller than you are.

OP..... Most likely if you ran it below a 1/4 tank before filling up like Bill mentioned it probably got stuck for a bit then freed back up.

Watch your mileage per tank and if it keeps reoccurring then might need to drop the tank and inspect, also a good time for hutch and harpoon.

Seems like a good solution to me right here and a good explanation

rtalich 10-14-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by diehardstroker (Post 13625936)
Seems like a good solution to me right here and a good explanation

Thanks!! Kind of I guess. I guess I was looking for the smoking gun... I don't want to go thru the trouble of dropping the tank and not finding the problem, you know what I mean?

The issue I'm seeing is this... and it's happened twice so far. With a full tank of fuel... driving down the street the gauge would immediately go to emply, fuel light comes on. Pull over, turn engine off, restart and fuel guage would read normally again. Did the same thing this morning.

diehardstroker 10-14-2013 03:48 PM

maybe an electrical connection issue?? Im not to sure about that, could maybe be a faulty float, I dont know... :-huh

microdevil45 10-16-2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rtalich (Post 13626229)
Thanks!! Kind of I guess. I guess I was looking for the smoking gun... I don't want to go thru the trouble of dropping the tank and not finding the problem, you know what I mean?

The issue I'm seeing is this... and it's happened twice so far. With a full tank of fuel... driving down the street the gauge would immediately go to emply, fuel light comes on. Pull over, turn engine off, restart and fuel guage would read normally again. Did the same thing this morning.

If you go through the trouble of dropping the tank go ahead and do the hutch and harpoon mod while your in there. Also would be a good time to replace that pickup foot since it is more than likely broken. Also give you a reason to inspect your tank and replace the sending unit for the fuel if needed. So in other words it would be worth it. IMHO