Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Ecoboost is cold blooded like a diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1206066-ecoboost-is-cold-blooded-like-a-diesel.html)

QwkTrip 11-28-2012 12:05 AM

Ecoboost is cold blooded like a diesel

Now with cold weather set in I have noticed my Ecoboost is a very cold blooded engine that takes a long time to throw any heat in the cab. Literally no better to warm up than my 7.3L diesel was. My Jeep would defrost the window in 5 minutes or less. This Ecoboost truck doesn't even melt a few frost crystals in 5 minutes, let alone touch ice.

Also, I notice it guzzles gas like a drunk at a beer party until the engine gets pretty warm. Then suddenly it seems the system goes closed loop and the fuel meter suddenly takes a jump up.

Boy, this is going to be a looooong winter waiting for windows to defrost in parking lots. Pretty disappointed with that.

blueovelboy 11-28-2012 02:11 AM

well i have seen the same out of my 5.0 but i live where 55 is cold and i park in a stall so my windows never fog up at home.
you could put a block warmer in but it will only work where theres power.

BigDfromTN 11-28-2012 07:10 AM

Mine dont seem that slow to heat...

BUT, I do appreciate the heated side of the heated and cooled seats more now.;)

SabreFX4 11-28-2012 08:51 AM

Yes....it will be a little rough on the MPG, until the engine reaches full normal operating temp.

Funny you should say that it takes awhile to warm up, as I was just thinking a couple of days ago, about how fast my Ecoboost warms up. I can do a cold start up on a 10 degree morning, put it in gear and go....and have full heat blasting from the floor or vents within 2 miles.

PrinceValium 11-28-2012 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by blueovelboy (Post 12532497)
well i have seen the same out of my 5.0 but i live where 55 is cold and i park in a stall so my windows never fog up at home.
you could put a block warmer in but it will only work where theres power.

I have seen many mornings in the 30's...I ride my motorcycle often until it gets close to freezing. Although we have pretty good temps most of the time, 55 degrees would be great if it stayed that way in the winter.

PrinceValium 11-28-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 12532359)
Now with cold weather set in I have noticed my Ecoboost is a very cold blooded engine that takes a long time to throw any heat in the cab. Literally no better to warm up than my 7.3L diesel was. My Jeep would defrost the window in 5 minutes or less. This Ecoboost truck doesn't even melt a few frost crystals in 5 minutes, let alone touch ice.

Also, I notice it guzzles gas like a drunk at a beer party until the engine gets pretty warm. Then suddenly it seems the system goes closed loop and the fuel meter suddenly takes a jump up.

Boy, this is going to be a looooong winter waiting for windows to defrost in parking lots. Pretty disappointed with that.

I was looking around and saw where people are using these magnetic block heaters for their trucks. Where I do understand the need for them and their benefit (we have them on our cogeneration engines at work) I wonder if having them always heating the oil breaks it down prematurely?

Anyway here are some links:

Kat's Handi-Heat Magnetic Heater — 300 Watt, Model# 1160 | Engine Heaters Blankets| Northern Tool + Equipment

:-wink

Christin 11-28-2012 10:27 AM

I agree with SabreFX4 mine doesn't take long to warm up.. 2 km down the road I start getting heat. I only let it iddle a couple minutes prior to driving. Mine doesn't seem to take any longer to warm up than my 1998 Chevy with a 350.

00xlt 11-28-2012 10:44 AM

I am also pleased about how quickly my eco warms up! Temperatures are usually -20 or lower in the morning and 10 minutes later she's nice and toasty inside, seats and all. The heated seats are great as they turn on when i use my command start, great feature.

Papa Tiger 11-28-2012 10:58 AM

:-jamminHeated seats

thomastl 11-28-2012 11:07 AM

Mine is fast as well. I do have the system set to use the last control setting w/ the remote start. I always set to defrost the night before. That way it starts blowing air immediately.
Auto setting seems to take a while since it will not start blowing air until it reaches a certain temp which seems to be hot instead of just warm.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 11-28-2012 01:15 PM

I test drove one last year. It was 30 degrees out and i got there at 8 in the morning. The truck hadnt been started yet that day. I started it and pulled out on the highway and i was getting heat 2 miles down the road.

It was the fastest heating vehicle i have been in to date. I figured it was due to the water cooled turbos. The exhaust heat is going directly into the cooling system.

04XLTRUNNER 11-28-2012 01:56 PM

it was about 44 degrees this morning when I started my truck. 5 minutes at idle and it was blowing hot air.

blueovelboy 11-28-2012 04:54 PM

OP you might put in a remote start and set the heat before you get out at night. just a thought!
have you tried to see if the blend door is opening up or not?

tseekins 11-28-2012 05:08 PM

Mine heats up fast and defrosts well but not quite as well as my '04 expy.

We can get real nostalgic here and take about the late 80's trucks. :p Took forever to get heated up.

TheStuffz 11-28-2012 07:09 PM

after about 10 mins startup the needle moves on the heat a tad. once i get down my long road to the highway (30km/hr 15mph) then get going 50km/30mph the gauge goes to half in no time!