Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
Ecoboost is cold blooded like a diesel

Now with cold weather set in I have noticed my Ecoboost is a very cold blooded engine that takes a long time to throw any heat in the cab. Literally no better to warm up than my 7.3L diesel was. My Jeep would defrost the window in 5 minutes or less. This Ecoboost truck doesn't even melt a few frost crystals in 5 minutes, let alone touch ice.

Also, I notice it guzzles gas like a drunk at a beer party until the engine gets pretty warm. Then suddenly it seems the system goes closed loop and the fuel meter suddenly takes a jump up.

Boy, this is going to be a looooong winter waiting for windows to defrost in parking lots. Pretty disappointed with that.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Elder User

blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.
well i have seen the same out of my 5.0 but i live where 55 is cold and i park in a stall so my windows never fog up at home.
you could put a block warmer in but it will only work where theres power.
2012 F150 XLT 4X4 crew cab 5.0 with 3:55 lockable rear end
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Senior User

BigDfromTN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigDfromTN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine dont seem that slow to heat...

BUT, I do appreciate the heated side of the heated and cooled seats more now.

2010 Expedition LTD. Fully loaded 4X2.

1965 F100 Blue&White 6cyl Three on tree (previously my Grandfathers)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior User

SabreFX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SabreFX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes....it will be a little rough on the MPG, until the engine reaches full normal operating temp.

Funny you should say that it takes awhile to warm up, as I was just thinking a couple of days ago, about how fast my Ecoboost warms up. I can do a cold start up on a 10 degree morning, put it in gear and go....and have full heat blasting from the floor or vents within 2 miles.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Posting Guru

PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovelboy View Post
well i have seen the same out of my 5.0 but i live where 55 is cold and i park in a stall so my windows never fog up at home.
you could put a block warmer in but it will only work where theres power.
I have seen many mornings in the 30's...I ride my motorcycle often until it gets close to freezing. Although we have pretty good temps most of the time, 55 degrees would be great if it stayed that way in the winter.

My Mod Thread 2013 F150 Platinum, Ego-Boost, 3.73, max tow, skid plates, and bed liner, 32% ceramic tinting.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Posting Guru

PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
Now with cold weather set in I have noticed my Ecoboost is a very cold blooded engine that takes a long time to throw any heat in the cab. Literally no better to warm up than my 7.3L diesel was. My Jeep would defrost the window in 5 minutes or less. This Ecoboost truck doesn't even melt a few frost crystals in 5 minutes, let alone touch ice.

Also, I notice it guzzles gas like a drunk at a beer party until the engine gets pretty warm. Then suddenly it seems the system goes closed loop and the fuel meter suddenly takes a jump up.

Boy, this is going to be a looooong winter waiting for windows to defrost in parking lots. Pretty disappointed with that.
I was looking around and saw where people are using these magnetic block heaters for their trucks. Where I do understand the need for them and their benefit (we have them on our cogeneration engines at work) I wonder if having them always heating the oil breaks it down prematurely?

Anyway here are some links:

Kat's Handi-Heat Magnetic Heater — 300 Watt, Model# 1160 | Engine Heaters Blankets| Northern Tool + Equipment

Amazon.com: Kat's 1153 Handi-Heat 200 Watt Magnetic Heater: Automotive Amazon.com: Kat's 1153 Handi-Heat 200 Watt Magnetic Heater: Automotive

My Mod Thread 2013 F150 Platinum, Ego-Boost, 3.73, max tow, skid plates, and bed liner, 32% ceramic tinting.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Freshman User

Christin is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with SabreFX4 mine doesn't take long to warm up.. 2 km down the road I start getting heat. I only let it iddle a couple minutes prior to driving. Mine doesn't seem to take any longer to warm up than my 1998 Chevy with a 350.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
New User

00xlt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am also pleased about how quickly my eco warms up! Temperatures are usually -20 or lower in the morning and 10 minutes later she's nice and toasty inside, seats and all. The heated seats are great as they turn on when i use my command start, great feature.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Posting Guru

Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.
Heated seats
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior User

thomastl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine is fast as well. I do have the system set to use the last control setting w/ the remote start. I always set to defrost the night before. That way it starts blowing air immediately.
Auto setting seems to take a while since it will not start blowing air until it reaches a certain temp which seems to be hot instead of just warm.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Posting Guru

BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.
I test drove one last year. It was 30 degrees out and i got there at 8 in the morning. The truck hadnt been started yet that day. I started it and pulled out on the highway and i was getting heat 2 miles down the road.

It was the fastest heating vehicle i have been in to date. I figured it was due to the water cooled turbos. The exhaust heat is going directly into the cooling system.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Posting Guru

04XLTRUNNER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.04XLTRUNNER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
it was about 44 degrees this morning when I started my truck. 5 minutes at idle and it was blowing hot air.
2012 Lariat SC 4x4 5.0. Tuxedo Black, 3.55 E-lock,6.5" MacGaughy Lift, 1.5" AAL, 20" XD Cranks w/ 35" Fuel M/T Rubber, 5Star Tuned, Blacked out upper/lower Grille,Cherry Bomb,Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, HID's, Full Int. LED, LED 3rd Brake & Taillights, Fire&Ice Bar, LED puddle lamps
Gone:2009 F-150 FX4, 2005 F-150 lariat 4x4 & 2004 F-150 xlt 2x4
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Elder User

blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.
OP you might put in a remote start and set the heat before you get out at night. just a thought!
have you tried to see if the blend door is opening up or not?
2012 F150 XLT 4X4 crew cab 5.0 with 3:55 lockable rear end
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Mine heats up fast and defrosts well but not quite as well as my '04 expy.

We can get real nostalgic here and take about the late 80's trucks. Took forever to get heated up.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior User

TheStuffz is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://instagram.com/the_stuffz
after about 10 mins startup the needle moves on the heat a tad. once i get down my long road to the highway (30km/hr 15mph) then get going 50km/30mph the gauge goes to half in no time!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150