Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Mad Dog Headers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1192218-mad-dog-headers.html)

1975MudRat 09-25-2012 10:29 PM

Mad Dog Headers

Have any of you ran any Mad Dog Headers? Their prices are kinda towards the pricey side of headers. I am looking at their fender-well exit's for a 390. Are their any other brands that you guys know that make fender-well exits for the 390?

montana_highboy 09-25-2012 11:43 PM

AFAIK Mad Dog is the only outfit making fenderwell exits for the FE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-do-exist.html

1975MudRat 09-25-2012 11:59 PM

Ok thanks, did they fit well, its kinda a cliff hanger on that thread lol.

montana_highboy 09-26-2012 11:04 AM

IIRC Grinnergetter was pretty pleased with the headers fitment and quality.

1975MudRat 09-26-2012 04:21 PM

OK I'll have to PM him and see how they were!

hasteranger 09-26-2012 06:48 PM

I haven't been able to find many reviews but a guy on 460 forum ran them on a big dollar 600 hp build which kinda makes me think they are alright.

grinnergetter 09-26-2012 07:44 PM

Look in thread "Raymonds Story..Budget build". All mods or trimming necessary is there.
The folks here beat up the guys welds a bit, well they pretty much slammed him.

Could they have been prettier? Yea I suppose so. Headers are fine and I don't think they will give you much trouble with installation.

You could have issues with that massive block that holds the u joint for the steering column. I believe it's going to force me into a borgeson eventually.

turbohunter 09-26-2012 08:08 PM

I remember when folks were slammin him.
I went ahead and bought a set anyway and am very happy with the welds and workmanship.
I have not installed them yet as I'm still collecting parts.

hasteranger 09-26-2012 08:52 PM

I think its impossible to be very happy with a set of headers until you have installed them. Thats the main gripe with the L&Ls (which prollly aren't available for an FE btw), is that they don't clear the gap in the fender without beating and tweaking.

turbohunter 09-26-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by hasteranger (Post 12312011)
they don't clear the gap in the fender without beating and tweaking.

Which is why I'll be taking the dog house off and fitting everything back together.
Guess you just have to realize custom/new stuff ain't like original equipment and you should be ready to make it work.

grinnergetter 09-26-2012 09:25 PM

Maddog's took a bit more trimming to inner fenders than L&L's(460 fenderwell). Neither require beating.

1975MudRat 09-26-2012 09:43 PM

Well I'm not buying a set quite yet I'm redoing interior and exterior, I'll be doing stuff under the hood in the middle because I'm building a motor for a school project. I would rather have fender dumps and run it to the side of the frame and have a turn down pointing down and to the outside of the truck. So keep me updated if you run into any problems, Thanks.

hasteranger 09-27-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by grinnergetter (Post 12312164)
Maddog's took a bit more trimming to inner fenders than L&L's(460 fenderwell). Neither require beating.

regarding the L&L's, someone needs to do some googling.

montana_highboy 09-27-2012 06:56 PM

L&L's own website states "requires a 3 inch body lift" in regards to the fenderwell exits (as noted above they don't make em for the FE).

Installing a 3 inch body lift just to clear a set of headers is a little drastic imo, most guys get by just fine with trimming the inner fenders a bit.

grinnergetter 09-27-2012 10:00 PM

Hasteranger, No need for Google but you can if you want...I might have removed 2 inches tops from the lower edge of both trucks using the brands mentioned.

I have personal experience with both brands which I stated that the Mad Dogs(FE) required a bit more trimming than the 460 version of the L&L's.

Now, I tried using different engine perches(not 460) and had to resort to L&L's perches to lower and move the engine slightly towards the rear. This resolved all of my fitment issues other than the minor trimming of the inner fenders that I spoke of. I guarantee there is no body lift on my truck.

I can assure all of you I would never make a recommendation to anyone about anything that I don't have personal experience with. There are way to many folks here who know these trucks like the back of their hand for me inject my guesses to another persons thread about a problem or question.