Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Remember - Check The Battery... Update -Bad Battery (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1175917-remember-check-the-battery-update-bad-battery.html)

Byram 07-16-2012 10:31 AM

Remember - Check The Battery... Update -Bad Battery

I thought that I would post this - Even though it makes me look stupid.. :-X04

I went out yesterday AM and battery would barely turn - No start... I was at the ranch so no problems (chargers/ equipment to jump with) But, when I installed my Oasis Compressor - I installed a Cole Hersee Battery Isolator and a Aux Battery (Deep Cycle).. So I just pressed the Momentary switch on the isolator and started the truck Normal (Everybody needs this setup - if you don't like being stranded..)

But the point is - I check the voltage on the Battery and it was 10.5X While off/ Charging at 13.8X while running... So I drove back to town - about an hour figuring it would charge - this AM it started but was weak... Came to office & figured I might be buying a new battery. went out & tested again - Volts in mid 10's.. Then I realized that these factory batteries are NOT maintenance free. I have had gel type batteries in most all my trucks/ equipment for years & stupidly haven't been checking this new one. Checked the water - it was low :-X19 Added - Drove around a little and it seems to be staying 12.7X even after sitting for an hour or so...

So all is good - Just add water!

Just a note - I have been changing the Oil at the Dealer pretty regular - about every 6 weeks & the Package "the Works" they are suppose to check Battery as well as brakes, fluid levels etc.. I'm now guessing that they don't pop the caps & check the water level in the Battery... Last change was June 6th...

But - I get the dumb award for 42,000 miles without personally checking the water in Battery....:confused:

2000silverbullet 07-16-2012 01:26 PM

I wouldn't be ashamed, maintenance free batteries have been around a long time, surprised Ford still uses the "old" ones. Definitely good information!

/the more you know. (lol)

Mello Mike 07-17-2012 08:25 AM

A good reminder. Thanks.

Byram 07-18-2012 10:33 AM

Just a follow-up....

After a couple of days - still had some weak starts - So I pulled a "good Battery " out of a Jeep and tried it.. Leaving the Motorcraft battery in the bed of the truck overnight until I can get to Auto Part store...

Checked the Motorcraft when I removed it - Showed 12.4 volts... 7:00 PM Tues. - Weds at 10:00 AM I put a meter on it and it had fallen to 10.3 volts - just sitting in bed of truck with nothing touching it...

Mello Mike 07-18-2012 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Byram (Post 12072332)
Just a follow-up....

After a couple of days - still had some weak starts - So I pulled a "good Battery " out of a Jeep and tried it.. Leaving the Motorcraft battery in the bed of the truck overnight until I can get to Auto Part store...

Checked the Motorcraft when I removed it - Showed 12.4 volts... 7:00 PM Tues. - Weds at 10:00 AM I put a meter on it and it had fallen to 10.3 volts - just sitting in bed of truck with nothing touching it...

Time for a new battery.

Byram 07-18-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mello Mike (Post 12072521)
Time for a new battery.

Already in.... My thoughts exactly - :-X0A6

jfk42367 08-18-2012 10:48 PM

Where do you have the aux battery located?

Byram 08-20-2012 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jfk42367 (Post 12181434)
Where do you have the aux battery located?

I built a frame to hold a battery box under the passenger door. Attached to the frame..