Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Stealing my own Gas (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1175145-stealing-my-own-gas.html)

Knothole 07-12-2012 07:16 PM

Stealing my own Gas

I did not do very well with this question in the SD forum so maybe someone here that is really familiar with the 2012 gasoline line "plumbing" can point me in the right direction. I understand gas cans, so can we move beyond that. With my previous truck I could use a 3/8 length of "rubber" fuel line e/w a marine primer bulb and easily siphon gas. That is not possible with this new F250. I also know that this will make the MPG display incorrect, but that is not an issue.

I have had occasions when my chainsaw gas can has run low. I had another occasion when a kid on a 4 wheeler had run out of gas and I simply siphoned out enough for him to get home. We travel with a truck camper and Honda EU2000 generator. There is no safe place to carry a gas can, so it was a simple matter to simply siphon and fill the generator tank.

Maybe installing a "T" and shutoff valve in a convenient location. Maybe someone knows the "plumbing" well enough and can make a suggestion as to where??

RZAR 07-14-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Knothole (Post 12052308)
I did not do very well with this question in the SD forum so maybe someone here that is really familiar with the 2012 gasoline line "plumbing" can point me in the right direction. I understand gas cans, so can we move beyond that. With my previous truck I could use a 3/8 length of "rubber" fuel line e/w a marine primer bulb and easily siphon gas. That is not possible with this new F250. I also know that this will make the MPG display incorrect, but that is not an issue.

I have had occasions when my chainsaw gas can has run low. I had another occasion when a kid on a 4 wheeler had run out of gas and I simply siphoned out enough for him to get home. We travel with a truck camper and Honda EU2000 generator. There is no safe place to carry a gas can, so it was a simple matter to simply siphon and fill the generator tank.

Maybe installing a "T" and shutoff valve in a convenient location. Maybe someone knows the "plumbing" well enough and can make a suggestion as to where??

Wow I am in the exact same situation as you. I carry a Lance and also have a Honda EU2000 but no space to carry extra gas for it. I thought about putting a little custom square 5 gallon metal gas tank somewhere inside the frame rails near the tank filler. Then use that extra hole next to the gas tank filler and run filler hose for the extra tank.

2000silverbullet 07-14-2012 05:37 AM

How about a hitch carrier?

I suggested the same thing in knothole's other thread but never saw a response...

Knothole 07-14-2012 12:48 PM

I have a hitch carrier. It would interfere with the steps, and would have to be unloaded and removed before you could access the camper. Sure it would work, but life would be simpler just pumping/siphoning from the truck's fuel tank.

Mello Mike 07-17-2012 09:32 AM

I, too, have a truck camper. Have you considered installing a front hitch and buying a hitch hauler carrier? Lots of truck camper owners do this.

Knothole 07-17-2012 08:00 PM

I have a grill guard/winch, so that option is probably out also. I have not given up, I just have not had time to do some crawling around. I figured a Ford tech. would have the quick answer.