Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Transfer case questions?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1156033-transfer-case-questions.html)

caverjoe 04-18-2012 06:13 AM

Transfer case questions??

So an update to yesterdays troubles.
was pulling away from a light normal and something clunks. Does not seem to shift right after that for a mile or two and then nothing. I put it in park and hear grinding for a few seconds. Take my foot off the brake and truck and trailer begins to roll (so park does not hold anymore) I have nothing in any gear and nothing in 4 high or low. I can hear grinding while its in drive and bad grinding when switched back to park and noise sounds like it is coming from transfer case.
So after I have it towed 75 miles and I get back I drain the fluid out of the transfer case expecting to see some broken things come out with it, but I did not notice anything. I have not strained the fluid yet though.
Question is what can (and maybe is likely) to be wrong inside of there, and where is a good place to order a rebuild kit??

Thanks
Joe

SARDiverDan 04-18-2012 09:01 AM

Post removed due to incorrect information.....I apologize for my ignorance

mueckster 04-18-2012 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From your description, something did let go in the transfer case if Park does not hold. The Park gear is the transmission output shaft. If it were transmission related the output shaft or splined connection to the transfer case would be broken. If you have manual transfer case, the fork may have broken allowing it to slip into Neutral position. The ESOF doesn't really have a Neutral position, but something similar could have happened. Sounds like the Park pawl is ratcheting until it engages due to no load on the drivetrain.
Attachment 53457

clux 04-18-2012 10:19 AM

Kwikkordead has a similar problem a number of years ago, here's a good read:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ce-needed.html

caverjoe 04-18-2012 02:31 PM

Outstanding. Thank u very much Roland. And clux as well. Was not having much luck on my searching.going to get it pulled out tonight.

caverjoe 04-18-2012 03:16 PM

And it is manual shift

caverjoe 04-18-2012 07:11 PM

well it is out of the truck. The guy that rebuilt my tranny said if I brought it to him he would tear it apart and let me know whats wrong free of charge. The more I look at that schematic the more I am not sure if I want to tear into it, but I guess how else do you learn. Worse case I buy a new transfer case.
does anyone have any tips or tricks??
thanks

BigAlsPSD 04-18-2012 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As said earlier they can be a bear to split, which reminds me of this image I don't recall where I came across it though, lol

Attachment 53489

Sorry for the trouble, hope it's a nice and easy fix though.

caverjoe 04-18-2012 08:22 PM

Holly hell. Just got back from getting an 1 1/2 in socket but after seeing that pic. I am thinking I might just let them take it apart at least. Hmmmmmm

clux 04-18-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD (Post 11727387)
As said earlier they can be a bear to split, which reminds me of this image I don't recall where I came across it though, lol

Attachment 53489

Sorry for the trouble, hope it's a nice and easy fix though.

That's funny.

He should have hooked that onto something more substantial than a Chevy.

Like a rock, maybe.;)

BigAlsPSD 04-18-2012 08:25 PM

You never know, worth a shot to try, I would try personally, I just thought the pic was funny since many people have talked about how hard they are to split.

caverjoe 04-18-2012 09:26 PM

Oh yeah, I got the bolts out, and read the other thread (thanks clux) I thinka porta power kit would make the split pretty easy. get those little finger attachements for it and just pump it apart. Looks like that is how the tabs on the case is configured. I will have a couple days next week. Probably not going to want to do much after friday morning for a couple of days at least (40 in Jan. one boy one girl and I am done) just need to make sure if you know what I mean.
Thanks again guys might beat on this a little more, but will probably just get a port a power tomorrow.