Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Engine Swap 05 F250 5.4 V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151627-engine-swap-05-f250-5-4-v8.html)

checkeredflag55 03-30-2012 01:08 PM

Engine Swap 05 F250 5.4 V8

Hay,
I new to all of this and I am not a master mechanic. i can do regular maintenance and that is about it. I been looking for a cheap truck. I found a 2005 F250 Crew Cab it has a blown motor 5.4V8. It is for sale for $2000 obo. I have been looking online and I wanted to put a 460 big block in but I have decided to go with a 427 stroker small block. I figured it would be easier to swap out and I should be able to use the stock transmission. How easy would the swap be? Now the truck has 180,000 miles on it so maybe I should get a new transmission? What is your opinions of my idea how do you think it will run? I am not to concern with mileage but what do think it would get.

parkland 03-30-2012 02:02 PM

What is going to control the transmission?

I don't think this would be an easy swap, why not buy a built up 5.4 ?

Psyclopse 03-30-2012 06:13 PM

You'll definitely have your hands full with this swap. You'd need a stand-alone controller for the transmission for sure. If you change transmissions, then you'll likely be getting into changing the length of the driveshaft (driveshafts if it's a 4x4). Then you'll have to get the gauges working and all.

Where do you live? If you live in a state that does emissions checks, you may never be able to get it legal to operate on the roads. Keep in mind too that if you don't follow the project through to the finish (including making sure everything works) that your resale value will be pretty much wiped out. You're buying a truck with a blown motor for $2K, but once you start hacking the wires, you'd be lucky to even hold that value unless you finish it right.

I'm by no means trying to discourage you. Just realize what you're getting into!

Mark Kovalsky 03-30-2012 06:37 PM

The stock transmission won't bolt to a small block. It won't bolt to a big block, either. It will only bolt to a Modular engine such as the 5.4L.

kd0axs 03-30-2012 08:40 PM

Not sure why you would want to swap one of those into this truck The 3V 5.4 has more power than even a 460 and gets better gas mileage.

If anything, I would look into doing a Cummins swap. Otherwise, just replace it with another 3V 5.4.

brd7666 03-31-2012 07:08 AM

Taking out the old 5.4 motor, and replacing it with another 5.4 motor is really an easy job. At that price, you could buy the truck, find a decent used motor, swap them out, keep it or even flip it for a profit. Heck, where is this truck, if that's all that's wrong with it, I might even buy it myself if you decide you don't want it. Good luck.

shaneinga 03-31-2012 07:21 AM

I second the Cummins swap. That is what mine will get when my 5.4 finally bites the bullet.

parkland 03-31-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by shaneinga (Post 11648765)
I second the Cummins swap. That is what mine will get when my 5.4 finally bites the bullet.

You guys make that sound like it would be sooo easy!!!

It's hard enough swapping a cummins into a truck that is already diesel!!!

Whats wrong with the modular engines? They are better than older engines in many, many ways! You make it sound like they're disposable, when in reality these modular engines simply ROCK :-jammin

69th soldier 10-22-2017 12:39 PM

5.4L

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 11646664)
The stock transmission won't bolt to a small block. It won't bolt to a big block, either. It will only bolt to a Modular engine such as the 5.4L.

So I am stuck with a ****ty 5.4L and cannot do anything with it. So are you saying that I could not even get a crate motor and do an EFI kit to it. I am not afraid nor unable to afford the parts. I am looking for more power than the 5.4L can provide and am very close to the 250,000 useful mile of this motor. Is it worth it to go to a 3v? not into turbo or blower complications but would like a similar dependable motor with more usable power. not looking for a cummings either.

69th soldier 10-22-2017 01:23 PM

buld up a 5.4 Haaaa

Originally Posted by parkland (Post 11645720)
What is going to control the transmission?

I don't think this would be an easy swap, why not buy a built up 5.4 ?

please explain how? without dropping an LS engine in? or going to an EFI ford 351? I dont know if it can be hooked to an 4r100 trans like I have easily , bet it would be a bit of work and money but not much. my current 01 5.4L f-250 gets 12 mpg or less everywhere and needs both an engine and tranny, anyone want a free truck that need work?

I.B. Washincars 10-22-2017 01:28 PM

You do realize that you have replied to a 5 1/2 year old zombie thread...right?

69th soldier 10-22-2017 01:38 PM

yes I do but I recently bought (with great remorse) this truck.

69th soldier 10-22-2017 01:39 PM

how do I get to the more modern threads

Mike189677 10-22-2017 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 69th soldier (Post 17541860)
how do I get to the more modern threads

Start your own new thread and tell us what you want to accomplish. We can help in some way I’m sure. Your mileage isn’t going to get any better unless you swap to a Diesel engine. Your best bet is to sell this truck for as close to what you paid for it as possible and get what you want. Aside from that you can either live with it or go the engine swap route. As there is nothing your going to do that is going to give you any noticeable power gains to the 5.4 especially in a super duty truck the best thing you can do is gears 4.30 for stock size tires obviously this won’t help the engine make anymore power but will help put it to the ground more effectively. As for the engine swap it can be done but you will need a complete doner truck to swap from as you will need so much of it it’s better to have it all right there to pick from. Contrary to what was said above the most straight forward swap would be a v10 swap but v10’s are hard to find.