Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.0 f350 egr delete (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1147669-6-0-f350-egr-delete.html)

eddiez21f350 03-15-2012 12:12 PM

6.0 f350 egr delete

just purchased and installed kit from alligator performance. kit did not come with provision for stock egr sensor plug. resulting in engine light on ?? what do i do?

Sarge261 03-15-2012 12:22 PM

Chances are you will need to get a Tuner to turn the CEL off. Also I would find a spot to put the EGR valve, secure it and plug it back in. If unplugged it will not allow the cooling fan to run, or run at the proper speed.

Look at Innovative, Gear Head, or DP tuner for a programmer.

If it were my truck I would have kept the EGR system, just put a bullet proof cooler in it, but the system is already gone.

FWIW I would get some guages to be able to moniter important data like, EGT's, ECT, EOT, Fuel Pressure, FICM Voltage, etc...assuming you dont have any.

Oh Wecome Aboard, and Spend Some Time Down in the 6.0 Fourm.

Sarge

bpounds 03-15-2012 12:26 PM

Your profile says you have an '06, so yes you will get a CEL. Even if you plug the valve back in, in the manifold or not, your truck knows the EGR flow is gone and it will set the CEL.

Your options are a tuner with custom tunes, as was noted above. Or, plug the valve back in to make the truck happy, and cover the CEL with a piece of black tape. I would not recommend option #2, because you won't know when another issue sets the CEL.

eddiez21f350 03-15-2012 12:30 PM

will my bully dog tuner be sufficient? thank you for all

bpounds 03-15-2012 12:49 PM

Bully is a bad word around the 6.0 world, so I really have no idea if they will do that. It would surprise me if they will, since those tunes must be off-road only. I guess you would have to call them.

powerstroke72 03-15-2012 10:52 PM

Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Snuggyworm 03-16-2012 12:45 AM

good call bill on the bully dog tuner. history notes that bully dog tuners are not recommended for our torqshift trannies cos they ride the tranny hard. i have been in my friend's f-250 and we were towing and we heard the tranny blow out.

Kert0307 03-16-2012 01:09 PM

My 05 with a bullydog GT doesn't have a check engine light with the valve still plugged in, but it does throw a silent code. I don't notice any performance differences.

FYI, bully dog HAS changed their transmission tuning for the 6.0 since when they first came out. Also, bullydog will not make a tune to turn off the egr. I do know that H&S performance who uses the same hardware as bullydog, but completely different tuning, will turn off the egr.

BLADE35 03-16-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by eddiez21f350 (Post 11577596)
will my bully dog tuner be sufficient? thank you for all

The Best thing to do here IMO is to install the EGR Valve back into the Intake Manafold and plug it in. It wont hurt anything or affect anything as long as you Didnt put a Plug into the EGR Valve chamber and deleate it that way

AS Dom mentioned Bulley Dog is Bad for the 6.0L

With as MANY Tranneys Iv seen ruined by Bulley Dog Tunners theres no way I would risk using one on my truck

They could change there BD tranney tuning all they want to me the risk is way to HIGH to HOPE they got it right

IMO go with an SCT Tunner with a custom tune Lot of happey folks and is a Proven Product that agrees with the 6.0L

Originally Posted by Kert0307 (Post 11582608)
My 05 with a bullydog GT doesn't have a check engine light with the valve still plugged in, but it does throw a silent code. I don't notice any performance differences.

Yes sir plugging in the EGR Valve does help keep the PCM Happy

But some of these trucks do go into a Limp Mode with the CEL On

As Long as the truck Doesnt go into Limp Mode you wont notice any Preformance Issues. The Kicker with the EGR Valve unplugged is it affects Fan Operation so if the Fan isnt working right the risk of Overheat is there

Read this thread Cheezit has done some research with it cant remember what MY truck he tested on but Other Folks have noticed similair problems on all years of the 6.0L

Unplugged EGR VALVE & the problems that follow
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...egr-valve.html

Snuggyworm 03-17-2012 12:00 AM

i agree wif benny on plugging tat egr valve back into the wiring harness. the radiator fan will not work, and on hot days or under heavy loads, she's gonna heat up faster than mama's cornbread on nana's cast-iron skillet.