Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   sterling 10.5 rebuild? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1142515-sterling-10-5-rebuild.html)

powerstroker02 02-25-2012 12:14 PM

sterling 10.5 rebuild?

hey i need some help with finding torque specs for this rear end in my truck. and also need to know how to set up the wheel bearings. right now there is just a housing under the truck i have all new bearings on the carrier and pinion gear also have new wheel bearings and seals. the spider gears in this rear end picked up on the pin and made metal then in turn destroyed a carrier bearing and wrecked everything! any info would be great thanx

aldridgec 02-25-2012 03:12 PM

Differential Caps: 88 ftlb
Pinion bearing torque (new bearing): 16-29 in lb

Wheel Hub
Left hub has left handed threads, right hub has right handed threads

CAUTION: Install a new hub nut if the hub nut comes apart during installation. CAUTION: Make sure the hub nut tab is located in the keyway prior to thread engagement. Install the hub nut on the spindle.

CAUTION: Under no circumstances are power tools to-be used when performing these operations. NOTE: The hub nut will ratchet as torque is applied. Tighten the hub nut, rotating the rear hub occasionally while tightening.

Tighten to 60 ft lbs

Adjust hub nuts as follows:

For new bearings, ratchet back five teeth or notches (1/8 turn) on the hub nut. Five notches must be felt during this operation in order to have performed it correctly.
For used bearings, ratchet back seven teeth or notches (1/6 turn) on the hub nut. Seven notches must be felt during this operation to have performed it correctly.

TeamMudd 02-26-2012 11:16 AM

if you need an install kit (mini- install, seal, shims, carrier bolts ect) PM me, i have one for a 10.5 that i never ended up using.

sweetfarm 10-01-2012 02:35 PM

axle nut torque

Originally Posted by aldridgec (Post 11487237)
Differential Caps: 88 ftlb
Pinion bearing torque (new bearing): 16-29 in lb

Wheel Hub
Left hub has left handed threads, right hub has right handed threads

CAUTION: Install a new hub nut if the hub nut comes apart during installation. CAUTION: Make sure the hub nut tab is located in the keyway prior to thread engagement. Install the hub nut on the spindle.

CAUTION: Under no circumstances are power tools to-be used when performing these operations. NOTE: The hub nut will ratchet as torque is applied. Tighten the hub nut, rotating the rear hub occasionally while tightening.

Tighten to 60 ft lbs

Adjust hub nuts as follows:

For new bearings, ratchet back five teeth or notches (1/8 turn) on the hub nut. Five notches must be felt during this operation in order to have performed it correctly.
For used bearings, ratchet back seven teeth or notches (1/6 turn) on the hub nut. Seven notches must be felt during this operation to have performed it correctly.

I am having a hard time "feeling " the clicks when loosening the nut after torquing it. How do I do this?
Also i read in another thread 3 clicks for used bearings. Is 7 clicks correct?