sterling 10.5 rebuild? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign In
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

sterling 10.5 rebuild?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Junior User

powerstroker02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sterling 10.5 rebuild?

hey i need some help with finding torque specs for this rear end in my truck. and also need to know how to set up the wheel bearings. right now there is just a housing under the truck i have all new bearings on the carrier and pinion gear also have new wheel bearings and seals. the spider gears in this rear end picked up on the pin and made metal then in turn destroyed a carrier bearing and wrecked everything! any info would be great thanx
Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
Differential Caps: 88 ftlb
Pinion bearing torque (new bearing): 16-29 in lb

Wheel Hub
Left hub has left handed threads, right hub has right handed threads

CAUTION: Install a new hub nut if the hub nut comes apart during installation. CAUTION: Make sure the hub nut tab is located in the keyway prior to thread engagement. Install the hub nut on the spindle.

CAUTION: Under no circumstances are power tools to-be used when performing these operations. NOTE: The hub nut will ratchet as torque is applied. Tighten the hub nut, rotating the rear hub occasionally while tightening.

Tighten to 60 ft lbs

Adjust hub nuts as follows:

For new bearings, ratchet back five teeth or notches (1/8 turn) on the hub nut. Five notches must be felt during this operation in order to have performed it correctly.
For used bearings, ratchet back seven teeth or notches (1/6 turn) on the hub nut. Seven notches must be felt during this operation to have performed it correctly.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Posting Guru

TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
if you need an install kit (mini- install, seal, shims, carrier bolts ect) PM me, i have one for a 10.5 that i never ended up using.
"If at first you don't succeed.........do it the way your wife told you to"
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
New User

sweetfarm is starting off with a positive reputation.
axle nut torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgec View Post
Differential Caps: 88 ftlb
Pinion bearing torque (new bearing): 16-29 in lb

Wheel Hub
Left hub has left handed threads, right hub has right handed threads

CAUTION: Install a new hub nut if the hub nut comes apart during installation. CAUTION: Make sure the hub nut tab is located in the keyway prior to thread engagement. Install the hub nut on the spindle.

CAUTION: Under no circumstances are power tools to-be used when performing these operations. NOTE: The hub nut will ratchet as torque is applied. Tighten the hub nut, rotating the rear hub occasionally while tightening.

Tighten to 60 ft lbs

Adjust hub nuts as follows:

For new bearings, ratchet back five teeth or notches (1/8 turn) on the hub nut. Five notches must be felt during this operation in order to have performed it correctly.
For used bearings, ratchet back seven teeth or notches (1/6 turn) on the hub nut. Seven notches must be felt during this operation to have performed it correctly.
I am having a hard time "feeling " the clicks when loosening the nut after torquing it. How do I do this?
Also i read in another thread 3 clicks for used bearings. Is 7 clicks correct?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM