Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Interior lights won't shut off (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141515-interior-lights-wont-shut-off.html)

Natural Gas 02-21-2012 06:14 PM

Interior lights won't shut off

I have a 2001 F350 Lariat V10. When I get in and close the door the door ajar light on dash is on and interio lights stay on till I drive a bit then I'll hear a click in dash lights go off but the door ajar light stays on. When I park shut off truck and open door interior lights come on as they should, but when I close and lock doors the lights stay on and will drain by battery. Right now if I have to use my truck I disconnect negative terminal on battery. Before I go to Stealership anyone know what this would be? Relay maybe I'm hoping? Thanks in advance for any replys. Jim:(

RedBoat 02-21-2012 07:11 PM

Natural, get a can of wd-40 and spray the latch (where the latch hits the post inside the door)shut the door repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, you get the idea. The switch on the strike mechanism in the door is sticking, usually several baths in wd-40 and opening and slamming the door will break the switch loose and you will be good to go. While you have the wd out you might go ahead and do the other doors too!!

Rongold 02-21-2012 07:28 PM

Sticking Switch

The switch is located at the top of the latch, so spray into the latch facing upward.

RON

Natural Gas 02-22-2012 05:19 AM

Thank you Guys. I'll Do that. I don't drive the truck that often. 2001 with 40k miles. That's got to be it. Nat

Kajtek1 02-22-2012 05:25 AM

I think the lights and door warning have separate switches. My light quit working and not liking them to stay on during day time, I replaced faulty relay with wires and switch on the dashboard. The door ajar warning still works.
I tried WD40 trick before and it worked for few months before it start having problems again.

Natural Gas 02-22-2012 04:43 PM

I sprayed and worked the latches for awhile. Didn't help. Is there a relay that could be bad? If so location? I really don't want to go to dealer for this.

Kajtek1 02-22-2012 09:22 PM

Per my recollection the light relay is in upper left corner on the relay panel under the dash. It is easy to spot as this is relay with 3 connectors only. I put spades in the holes that connect the power to the light and run wires to the dash switch.

Natural Gas 02-23-2012 05:02 AM

Thanks, I pull that and go from there. Nat

mshaneh 11-06-2012 04:30 PM

Thanks for the post regarding the latches. I was having the same issue with my interior lights coming on and off; especially when driving. Shooting wd-40 up inside using the "straw" solved the problem for me.

madsonp 11-06-2012 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Natural Gas (Post 11472565)
I sprayed and worked the latches for awhile. Didn't help. Is there a relay that could be bad? If so location? I really don't want to go to dealer for this.

Some times you have to spray them pretty good before they'll work.

RuthieB75 02-15-2013 07:26 PM

interior lights

That worked great and right away :) thanks guys. I love it when its a quick, easy... cheep fix like that! lol