Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Power windows and 4wheel drive switch not working (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1139832-power-windows-and-4wheel-drive-switch-not-working.html)

CWO-06250 02-15-2012 08:30 PM

Power windows and 4wheel drive switch not working

On my 03 Super Duty crew cab 6.0 4x4 my windows do not work and the 4 wheel drive switch do nothing. They were all working one day then I let someone borrow the truck for the weekend and then they have not worked since.

SYMPTOMS
Driver door
when closed the door lock switch will work fine and the window switch lights will light up.
No windows will roll down but the driver front switch will make a buzzing sound.
Door courtesy light is dim all the time but when I hit a window switch it will get bright.
Open the door and nothing works, no switch lights, no door light, no door locks.

Passenger front door
Door lock switch always works
window switch nothing
open door and no change lock switch still works.

Rear doors are the same as passenger.

I have swapped out the switches from my 06 and have the same problems also swapped out fuse/breaker no change.

I am getting almost 12 volts through the ground wire to the switches and light.

critterf1 02-15-2012 10:55 PM

You have a bad ground.

CWO-06250 02-16-2012 08:59 AM

I figured that but by bad ground you mean?

Does it sound to be broken? I am lost on how 12 volts can be put into the ground system without blowing fuses or causing major problems. This problem has been going on for about 6 months now.

dennis350 02-16-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by CWO-06250 (Post 11441371)
I figured that but by bad ground you mean?

Does it sound to be broken? I am lost on how 12 volts can be put into the ground system without blowing fuses or causing major problems. This problem has been going on for about 6 months now.

Your lights in all the door switches have their own ground and all 4 of the window motors have a common ground in the drivers side door, they need to all come back there to give you control of all windows. There should be 2 black wires in there, one for the lights on that side and one for all the window motors, not sure its terminated in there so you may need to trace it. I don’t see the 4 wheel drive switch in that circuit so I think it’s a second issue.
All dc circuits must complete the loop between positive to ground to work meaning on your battery.

CWO-06250 02-16-2012 03:46 PM

I figured out the 4wheel drive and that was unrelated. Thanks for the info on the ground, I will look into it and see what I come up with.

I have checked the black wire that is coming up to my window switch controls that my book says should be a ground and it has 12 volts and the coming from the switch nothing until I turn the key on then from the switch side it is giving 12 volts as well to the black wire, So when disconected and the key on I am getting power from both sides of the ground wire.

Also noticed that the passenger door curtousy light is working fine.

CWO-06250 02-16-2012 03:47 PM

The 4 wheel drive was from having my trans replaced a few months back the tranny guy broke the clip that holds the plug into the transfer case so it wont stay in long enough to work the 4wheel. Why does everything have to be electronic now days.