Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1132706-fx4-rancho-shocks-who-has-checked-were-they-good-or-bad.html)

tolliewolly 06-24-2013 05:01 PM

how can you test that these shocks have gone bad besides taking them off the truck?

donovan 06-24-2013 05:12 PM

Bad at 12k

I need to get some replacments. I think I will get the bilsten 5100.

They seem to get a better report.

Joe_planet 06-24-2013 09:23 PM

Mine were all shot except one but it was super lazy.

I have a set of 5100 shocks for sale

Autumnredf250 06-24-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_planet (Post 13283489)
Mine were all shot except one but it was super lazy.

I have a set of 5100 shocks for sale

What are you asking for the 5100s ??

TRENT310 06-25-2013 01:12 AM

My "Rancho branded" shocks were in pretty awful condition when I took them off. I could compress them with little effort and now they're stuck in the compressed state. I guess I was far overdue for a replacement and it must have been basically running with no shock absorbers.

Romeo Scorpion 06-25-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by TRENT310 (Post 13284054)
My "Rancho branded" shocks were in pretty awful condition when I took them off. I could compress them with little effort and now they're stuck in the compressed state. I guess I was far overdue for a replacement and it must have been basically running with no shock absorbers.

YOu still had shocks. You were simply running without the benefit of the anti-foaming characteristics provided by the nitrogen gas charge that leaked from the shocks. Without shocks your truck would bounce continuously, even on a nearly flat road.

Autumnredf250 07-12-2013 05:07 PM

Well just to update everyone one here about my progress in dealing with Ford Motor Company about these Rancho shocks . My dealership found no warranty issues with the shocks and , determined the vehicle was operating as Ford designed it to. I was referred to the area dealer rep and sent to a second dealer for a second opinion. Second dealer went for a test ride and said vehicle was riding as intended per FoMoCo specs. He commented that the shocks had "loosened " up since I had purchased it but it was still acceptable ride according to FoMoCo standards. Was contacted by regional rep who stated that my claim was denied and that FoMoCo was going to do nothing for me . In the middle of these conversations I was told by a rep of FoMoCo that I should put a payload in the truck and it would ride much better , what a joke!!!! After the second dealer opinion and a seemingly waste of my time , I was directed back to my FoMoCo dealership to see if they would possibly do anything for my as a courtesy . As of my conversation tonight with the selling dealer , I was told that their hands are tied and not to expect anything thing to be done . What I was asking the FoMoCo or their dealership to do was either replace the shocks or I would replace them myself and spend the money on the bilstien 5100s and just have them give me service credit at the dealership in the amount of the cost of the shocks or what ever they seemed would be fair. This was all denied ........ Very disappointed in the FoMoCo handling of this and my dealership . I tried showing them copys of this forum and other forums and not one dealership would even look at them . Even though these are valid complaints of customers that have purchased their vehicles and are unhappy with the cheap parts they install on these premium trucks!!!!!

Traveling Man 07-12-2013 05:38 PM

Shock Issues

There is power in numbers. If we all bombarded FoMoCo with complaints, there is a possibility of a recall.

TrickTruck 07-12-2013 05:55 PM

You are pissing up a rope.
Ford is not going to replace tires, shocks, brakes or anything else with anything but what came on the truck. If what you have is operating within spec, ain't nothing going to happen but you piss yourself off.

Bilstein shocks are like 3-400, just go buy them and put them on.

Give Casey at SoCalSupertrucks a call, they'll hook you up. 909-383-5454

TrickTruck 07-12-2013 05:55 PM

dbl post, delete

Autumnredf250 07-12-2013 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TrickTruck (Post 13335277)
You are pissing up a rope.
Ford is not going to replace tires, shocks, brakes or anything else with anything but what came on the truck. If what you have is operating within spec, ain't nothing going to happen but you piss yourself off.

Bilstein shocks are like 3-400, just go buy them and put them on.

Give Casey at SoCalSupertrucks a call, they'll hook you up. 909-383-5454

Hey thanks for the reply , just hate spending money on a wear part that should not have or show any wear at less than 6000 miles . That money could be being put towards a nice aftermarket accessories or maybe even spent at my dealer buying acessories ,

WildWildWest 07-12-2013 06:36 PM

Mine weren't noticeably weak until 50,000 miles, but others here have noticed it much sooner. I just replaced them with Bilstein 5100s at 55,000 miles and at 84,000 miles now and going strong. Nice thing about the Bilsteins is the lifetime warranty. If they go bad - time for new ones - for free. No heavy truck in the market has decent shocks from factory. Dodge guys don't notice because they are too used to hammering around everywhere with the clatter of that Cummins. Government Motors wants a car like ride in their trucks. Doesn't feel like a truck to me and its not because of the shocks. Their springs are just mushy.

mebe2k 07-19-2013 01:45 AM

i read through this thread, and I keep reading that "3 of the 4" rancho shocks are bad..just wondering if the one that is not totally bad is in the same position on these trucks? (eg. right front, left rear, etc.)..maybe a certain wheel is getting less movement than the other 3?..
i haven't checked my shocks, but I know the truck rides like crap pulling my 36' fifth wheel..rear end bounce is horrible..either that or i'm too used to the way the trucks I drive at work ride(tractor/semi trailers)

TRENT310 07-19-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Romeo Scorpion (Post 13284333)
YOu still had shocks. You were simply running without the benefit of the anti-foaming characteristics provided by the nitrogen gas charge that leaked from the shocks. Without shocks your truck would bounce continuously, even on a nearly flat road.

Yeah one of the front ones you could move around with minimal resistance as if there was nothing inside. The rest of them still offered some degree of resistance. I guess I should say that I was running with 3/4 shocks then.

Firekite 07-19-2013 10:47 AM

For what it's worth, the factory Rancho shocks on my 2011 FX4 still seem to be doing just fine after about 2 years and 30,000 miles of service. I'll end up replacing them with something else, I'm sure, probably the adjustable 9000's, but I can't imagine it being worth messing with until it actually becomes necessary.