Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1132706-fx4-rancho-shocks-who-has-checked-were-they-good-or-bad.html)

PumpDoctor 01-21-2012 07:24 PM

FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad

I think it would be interesting to see how many members have checked to see if their Factory Rancho Shocks that come with the FX4 package where still good or bad. On my truck 3 of the 4 were junk after 7500 miles and never exteneded. I replaced them with the Bilstein 5100 shocks (Thanks to Big Sarge`s video) I noticed my truck starting to pogo over bumps and when towing my trailer. I decieded to go with the Bilsteins over the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks for one main reason and that is I plan on installing air bags and didn`t see a need for to ways to adjust my suspension.

Thanks to all the FTE members for the issues they bring forward and for the ways they correct them. If I had never become a member on this forum I would have never known what to look for.

GCLL 01-21-2012 07:30 PM

All 4 of mine took over 5 minutes to open if at all at 14000 miles:-roll

KC8QVO 01-21-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by PumpDoctor (Post 11318631)
I think it would be interesting to see how many members have checked to see if their Factory Rancho Shocks that come with the FX4 package where still good or bad.

I know some of mine are bad, I'll have to go back through them and see which ones, or if any are even good.

I decieded to go with the Bilsteins over the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks for one main reason and that is I plan on installing air bags and didn`t see a need for to ways to adjust my suspension.

Just a quick "double check" here as I don't have experience with airbags, but my understanding of them is that they are for load leveling. As in they are used on the rear axle to help support the weight of the load in the bed/attached (trailer). I would not think they would do much for the "compression" and "rebound" IE - ride quality. The shock absorbers are what restrict the moving of the axles under the truck, air bags don't unless I am not understanding them entirely?

Gunny77 01-21-2012 07:45 PM

My factory Rancho's had no rebound after 6k. I now have Bilstein 5100's

juneau92 01-21-2012 07:49 PM

Are these Factory Rancho Shocks that come with the FX4 package under the "bumper to bumper" warranty?

_red rocket_ 01-21-2012 07:54 PM

I think it would be interesting to see how many members have checked to see if their Factory Rancho Shocks that come with the FX4 package where still good or bad. On my truck 3 of the 4 were junk after 7500 miles and never extended.

They are junk --> Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!

Originally Posted by juneau92 (Post 11318748)
Are these Factory Rancho Shocks that come with the FX4 package under the "bumper to bumper" warranty?

Yes, but I was not replacing junk with brand new junk.

PumpDoctor 01-21-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by KC8QVO (Post 11318663)
I know some of mine are bad, I'll have to go back through them and see which ones, or if any are even good.

Just a quick "double check" here as I don't have experience with airbags, but my understanding of them is that they are for load leveling. As in they are used on the rear axle to help support the weight of the load in the bed/attached (trailer). I would not think they would do much for the "compression" and "rebound" IE - ride quality. The shock absorbers are what restrict the moving of the axles under the truck, air bags don't unless I am not understanding them entirely?

You are correct and I probably should not have worded it as such. The bilstein shocks will work fine for me driving under daily conditions without a trailer. No need to adjust (Personal Preferance). The air bags will help support the load when towing and I can adjust the air pressure down in the air bags to help on compression not so much rebound (which for the most part isn't a concern when towing) for lets say if I have weight in the bed. I'm sure the 9000 series shocks can do this also but again its just a personal preferance.

Rickx 01-21-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by juneau92 (Post 11318748)

I went through three sets under warranty. Finally installed Bilstien 5100s at my expense.

magnumacF250 01-21-2012 09:20 PM

anybody know what the rancho model of these shocks are? I've had rancho 5000's on several pickups with good results. I hope the shocks on my ordered fx4 are the lone set of good ones!!

Andrew010 01-21-2012 10:26 PM

3 of 4 of mine are bad. 5,000 miles. Replacements in the mail now.

jmcquarry 01-21-2012 10:50 PM

At 3000 miles I replaced the FX4 Raunchos with Bilstein 5100's,,, the factory shocks were trash. Any future trucks will immediately have replacement shocks and replacement speakers,,,love the truck but these items are pitiful, replacing them was not a big deal. Would have gone with Rancho's but very disappointed in the crap they supply Ford, wether it was Ford's specs or not, bad business decision, gives them a bad name.

Dim Sum 01-21-2012 11:01 PM

Ordered 9000s today. I can't wait to get them on the truck. I've never driven a Superduty with good shocks before.

Adobe 11SD 01-22-2012 05:16 AM

I went through 2 sets in 22K miles, replaced them with the Bilstein 5100 also.

slipry14 01-22-2012 01:46 PM

I replaced mine at around 1000 miles. 2 didn't rebound at all.

darren32 01-23-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by magnumacF250 (Post 11319223)
anybody know what the rancho model of these shocks are? I've had rancho 5000's on several pickups with good results. I hope the shocks on my ordered fx4 are the lone set of good ones!!

Rancho suspension in a thread on this site said "They are a $40.00 shock built to Fords specifications". They are junk. IMHO it is a sell out for Rancho to put their name on such junk. Because of this I will not consider Rancho in the future.