Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   how to change the engine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1129215-how-to-change-the-engine.html)

vince84 01-08-2012 06:57 PM

how to change the engine

Hi i have to change the motor on mine 2004 f 150 some suggestions thanks
Is 5.4 ext cab 4x4 and im replacing whit the same engine but remanufactured my old engine as low pressure on the top end so they told my to replace the engine even if was just the cam phasers i was cost me 5000$ to do the job,some people told me to replace the engine you have to lift the cab that true?Im starting to taking it out tomorrow so any tip will be helpfull thank you.
thank tooldad

tooldad 01-08-2012 09:22 PM

Start with some more specifics, please, like motor you have, motor you will install, year model, etc. and maybe why you are replacing it. I will not be much help on this topic, but others will want/need this info.

And welcome to FTE!

Deluxe05 01-09-2012 09:38 AM

While they are pricey, one of the absolute best resources are the actual/genuine/official Ford shop manuals. Helm, Inc. is the official source for them, but you can also search around other online sources like eBay & Craig's List to possibly find them at a cheaper price.

It has been my experience that the manufacturer's shop manuals far exceed the normal competition like Hayne's & Chilton's manuals in terms of details, topics, and overall completeness.

Good luck!

vince84 01-10-2012 12:50 PM

The problem is not the parts is I have low pressure on the top end the parts they are only 400$ but if I ad to change just the cam phasers the cost was 5000$ and in my town nobody will do it they said to me " bring to ford"because Is a big job and riski.one advice change the oil often and kee track a the oil pressure that's how the cam phasers the go no lots oil coming true.

ford390gashog 01-10-2012 02:24 PM

Most dealers charge about 1400.00 to replace the phasers for both sides. Its an easy 5 hour job.

To replace your whole engine,well its really straight forward just bolts hoses and wires. I would strip all the front accessories off first to make it easier. Remove the radiator and battery. Tie the a/c pump to the frame so you don't damage it. Remove the starter and the exhaust. Remove the hood and then its easy sailing from there. This job should take 6 hours to R&R for someone with decent skills a little longer if its your first time.

saberworks 01-10-2012 02:41 PM

Concur on cost of cam phasers, had mine done at dealer for $1300.

vince84 01-12-2012 11:07 PM

Thank you everyone the old motor is out and the new one is in and just for curiosity I take the oil pan from my hold one and I find broken piece of the time chain rail and I take the valve cover and the cam phasers they are all black I gess the old owner he never change the oil sucks but the new one is in tomorrow is time to started :-drink

tbear853 01-13-2012 05:19 PM

Damn, that was fast!

There are great threads on here or another site with pics on doing cam phazers step by step.

turner01 01-16-2012 12:56 AM

Woot!

I have been looking allover for some one that has done an f150 5.4 swap. Did you take off the cab? Any other details I should know before I do mine.

Much appreciated