Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bronco II (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum34/)
-   -   Buying a 1988 Bronco 2. has fuel system problems. PLEASE HELP!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1121808-buying-a-1988-bronco-2-has-fuel-system-problems-please-help.html)

Maverick1978 12-10-2011 03:08 PM

Buying a 1988 Bronco 2. has fuel system problems. PLEASE HELP!!

I'm thinking about buying my buddys 88 Bronco II. There is a problem with the fuel system though. It gets power to the first fuel pump under the door, but doesn't get any power to the fuel pump in the back. It has a brand new fuel pump in the back, and a brand new computer in it. What had happened was that the tank had a leak, so they replaced the tank. Thus leading to the problem there is now. No power to the rear pump. I'm thinking it is probably just a broken wire.

Old93junk 12-10-2011 06:56 PM

Or the fuel pump relay, it's on the passenger side under a black cover about a foot behind the battery. Also try putting a jumper wire across the inertia switch connector (pass side under the dash on firewall).

crerar 12-11-2011 03:30 AM

If its like the same vintage Ranger, I think both pumps get power (or neither) off the ignition/relay/inertia switch circuit. So if the front (high pressure) pumps working but the back (in-tank) isn't getting power, I tend to agree you have a bad wire someplace 'twixt the inertia switch and the tank fuel pump:

have a 88 ford ranger with two fuel pumps one in the tank and - JustAnswer

has a wiring diagram towards the bottom

(maybe someone did some butcher wiring when the tank pump got replaced?)

Maverick1978 12-11-2011 12:10 PM

thanks guys. I'll try checking the wire with a tester when i go back up there. The bronco has the 2.9 V6 and manual trans. (if that helps) i'll try the jumper wire bit and see what happens. I am seriously thinking about the wiring though. But hey this is the best deal a 16 year old budget can find.

Maverick1978 12-11-2011 12:16 PM

But where do i hook the jumper wire to after i hook it up to the inerta switch? the fuel pump relay? and he said it has a new pcm too.

Old93junk 12-11-2011 12:25 PM

The jumper wire you make, and put across the plug that goes into the switch..........leave the switch alone.

Maverick1978 12-11-2011 08:20 PM

ok. thats all i needed to know. thanks. and do yall know where i could find a patch panel for the cargo area behind the rear seat? they cut a huge hole out to get to the sending unit..

ldbill39 12-19-2011 09:45 PM

B2 Fuel Problem

Check the ground at the tank, and in the wiring harness. The ground should connect to the frame piece right in front of the tank. I doubt it could be the inertia switch or relay, since the high pressure pump is getting power. As for the patch panel, your best bet is go to the junk yard and cut an oversized piece out of anther BII, and trim it to fit an inch over all the way around. Also, use either silicone or RV window putty to seal it. Good Luck!

Maverick1978 12-23-2011 08:32 PM

well i didnt get the Bronco. I ended up with a 1990 Ranger with the same 2.9. but an automatic.