Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   TCC soleniod code P1740 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107292-tcc-soleniod-code-p1740.html)

Tony Froelich 10-14-2011 09:43 AM

TCC soleniod code P1740

On my E250 this code came up yesterday. Does anyone know exactly where it is? can it be accessed from the Pan?
Thanks

projectSHO89 10-14-2011 05:39 PM

The code indicates a fault in the electrical circuit for the TCC solenoid. It does not mean the the TCC solenoid is the only possible cause for the code.

The solenoid (or the solenoid pack) is accessible from the pan.

Tony Froelich 10-16-2011 09:08 AM

TCC code 1740

Well I'm thinking it must be electrical because the transmission seems to be shifting just fine. I do not have the classic symtoms of losing overdrive or engine stalling when shifting to third. Any Ideas on what else it could be?
Thanks

Bluegrass 7 10-16-2011 08:27 PM

Tony, your going beyond what you need to know.
Look up the code so you see exactly what it's telling you.
The computer looks at the DC Current operating 'kick' called a "signiture".
It's out of limits.
It does not mean the Torque converter is not working but there is a detected issue for possible pending failure.
This is why the code is available as an early indicator so more serious damage can be avoided from overheating the transmission running out of lock and OD..
It could be the solenoid, the flat cable feeding it or a harness feeding from the outside. Might be a ground or a cross. It's not open or it would not work at all.
Project gave you the basic scoop to go with. There are no other 'ideas' to get.
Pull apart the connector on the outside first to see if water has caused a cross or resistance ground, then and try to detect a fault looking in with a resistance meter before taking things apart so you have an idea what your next move is.
I could give you lead info but it's on a Windows XP machine so my program does not work on Windows 7 until I get a monitor switch so I can see both machines at the same time.
Good luck.

04mudslinger 02-28-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 (Post 10928651)
Tony, your going beyond what you need to know.
Look up the code so you see exactly what it's telling you.
The computer looks at the DC Current operating 'kick' called a "signiture".
It's out of limits.
It does not mean the Torque converter is not working but there is a detected issue for possible pending failure.
This is why the code is available as an early indicator so more serious damage can be avoided from overheat5ing the transmission runnin out of lock and OD..
It could be the solenoid, the flat cable feeding it or a harness feeding from the outside. Might be a ground or a cross. It's not open or it would not work at all.
Project gave you the basic scoop to go with. There are no other 'ideas' to get.
Pull apart the connector on the outside first to see if water has caused a cross or resistance ground, then and try to detect a fault looking in with a resistance meter before taking things apart so you have an idea what your next move is.
I could give you lead info but it's on a Windows XP machine so my program does not work on Windows 7 until I get a monitor switch so I can see both machines at the same time.
Good luck.

Did you get the monitor switch you refer to? I could use the lead info. I got this code a while back and cleared it. Now it's back. My next step is to check the outside connector. When the code showed up previously, I could tell I had harder downshifts, but now the upshift from 2 to 3 is the only noticeable harder shift now.