Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Engine Cranks but wont start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1106797-engine-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

Mspette 10-12-2011 12:25 PM

Engine Cranks but wont start

Hi all, I have a 2002 F350 duly I drove home the other night, parked in the driveway and went in and had dinner. About an houre and a half later I opened the hood and repaaced the G P R wire for wire to terminal for terminal. went to start the truck and she cranks but will not start. I connected a O B D 2 scanner to the diognostic port and in says it can not connect so I don't have the benifit of any DTC'. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Mark
<!-- / message -->

Shake-N-Bake 10-12-2011 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does your Wait To Start light come on?

Which wire did you replace?

Mspette 10-12-2011 12:46 PM

Greg thank You for taking your time to reply, I replaced the glow plug relay and re conected the wires on the new relay as they were on the old relay Thankyou ,
Mark

Shake-N-Bake 10-12-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mspette (Post 10912824)
Greg thank You for taking your time to reply, I replaced the glow plug relay and re conected the wires on the new relay as they were on the old relay Thankyou ,
Mark

OK. So I presume your wires look like the photo I posted....

Does the Wait To Start light come on?

JamesHajek 10-12-2011 12:54 PM

What GPR did you replace it with?

If that was all you did and you replaced it with the right GPR, it should start...

The wiring on the GPR doesn't matter as long as you get the big wires on the big lugs and the little wires on the little lugs...

Mspette 10-12-2011 12:59 PM

the glow plug lite does come on and i bought the relay on e bay there is a guy that sell a lifetime relay. In addition to that you can buy a manual switch so you only use the relay/glow plugs when it is cold out.

Mark

Mspette 10-12-2011 01:00 PM

correctiom IS NOT cold out
Mark

Mspette 10-12-2011 01:02 PM

switch on manuely when the temp is cold NOT having to use in warmer wether

Mark

Shake-N-Bake 10-12-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mspette (Post 10912866)
the glow plug lite does come on and i bought the relay on e bay there is a guy that sell a lifetime relay. In addition to that you can buy a manual switch so you only use the relay/glow plugs when it is cold out.

Mark

So, did you wire in the manual switch? If so, remove it, check your fuses and replace if blown and then see if the truck starts.

Do you hear your fuel pump when you first turn the key on?
Is there any smoke out the tailpipe while cranking?

Mspette 10-12-2011 01:20 PM

I checked every fuse with a multi meter. No sound that I can here of fule pump. No smoke from tail pipe. I do here a relay clicking when i turn the ignition switch to the on position. It is relay# 303 (Injection Drive Module Relay) i changed relay and it still clicks untill you turn the key to the off position
Thanks, Mark

PaysonPSD 10-12-2011 02:00 PM

No smoke while cranking means the injectors are not firing. Make sure you have 10.5 volts WHILE cranking.
The IDM will not fire the injectors with much less than 10.5 volts while cranking.

Edit: Here's some info

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...5&d=1215707540

Mspette 10-12-2011 02:30 PM

Payson thankyou for replying, The batteries are up tp snuff and the engine cranks fast. However the I D M Relay clicks as if it wern't getting enough power to pull it in. I took a 2 gage jumper cable from the battery to the power lug of the fusebox just to make sure I had proper voltage to the fuse block. Thanks Mark

riverrat41 10-12-2011 02:38 PM

I know you checked all of the fuses but check #30 again I think.It is the one that says cigar lighter.It is tied to the fuel bowl heater and pcm.If it is blown because the fuel bowl heater shorted out it will not start.

Shake-N-Bake 10-12-2011 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mspette (Post 10912927)
I checked every fuse with a multi meter. No sound that I can here of fule pump. No smoke from tail pipe. I do here a relay clicking when i turn the ignition switch to the on position. It is relay# 303 (Injection Drive Module Relay) i changed relay and it still clicks untill you turn the key to the off position
Thanks, Mark

Clicking relays is usually low voltage. The engine will turn over pretty fast even when the batteries are down. You must check voltage with a meter while cranking to be sure.

Like Robin said, no smoke means the injectors are not firing (or there isn't any fuel available). There was a thread a while back where someone had no voltage at the fuel pump. They found a defective wire at the glow plug relay, fixed it and their fuel pump started working. I still don't know how that had any play but according to the attached wiring diagram, the keyed power for the glow plug solenoid is on the same circuit as the fuel pump so that could be your issue. Depending on how you wired up your manual switch, you could have affected the fuel pump somehow. Again, I am not sure how that can happen but I just remember that thread and how the OP solved his issue.

Here is the diagram.

Mspette 10-12-2011 02:44 PM

ok will go and check cranking voltage and fuses