Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Does anyone want a F-150 diesel option? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1102509-does-anyone-want-a-f-150-diesel-option.html)

meborder 11-09-2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_91SC4x4 (Post 11016451)
No you're right. Let's see the Eco boost was tore down at what high mileage(?) with little to no wear after a beating. I'll take the Eco boost. On the Ranger,the issue is the 25% TARRIF on imported vehicles..so they'd have to make it here. But then it would still be nearly the same price as a F150 with similar mileage. Then there's the expense of engineering for the Federal Regs.

The correct answer is 300 hours plus 15,000 miles.

they say that 300 hours represents 150,000 miles. but i cant get my f150 to go 500 mph .....

640 CI Aluminum FORD 11-09-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by drmikegallant (Post 11015222)
Hey, maybe if you know how to do math you might decide to get your calculator out and figure out how much money you will save driving an engine that:

1. Lasts longer
2. Gets better fuel economy
3. Tows more weight
4. Goes faster
5. Has more aftermarket performance goodies available

And lets calm down about the CA emissions. Half of emissions is just fine-tuning the injection duration and injection advance, the other half of emissions is choosing one or more of the MANY available emissions solutions.

I can't believe that everybody things that all new diesels use urea. They simply DON'T.

There are a broad selection of choices for emissions products. Even the idiots out there have figured out that when you get your new diesel truck with all sorts of emissions... all you have to do is take that stuff off and keep it available for when the poor California schmucks' emissions devices fail. They will pay top dollar for them.

In the mean time, you can try reading some proper information about why what CARB and the EPA have done with diesels is an ecological/ethical disaster (especially for urban areas like CA)

emit more NOx (in VOC-limited areas), save the planet

Hey, I have an idea...Let me break down you're statment for you.

1. Lasts longer
Chance's are that modern gas and diesel engines will last the same amount of time if properly cared for...I've seen both gas and diesel go well over 500,000 miles when taken care of. This argument is moot.

Did you forget about the emission's? You want some comparison? I have a friend who has a 2500 Cummins Dodge 1999 model that gets 26mpg on the highway...His dad has a 2010 2500 Cummins and it only avarages about 11mpg on the highway. You really think they will just excuse a small diesel of these emissions? Face it, the cold hard fact is American politcs want the diesel engine DEAD! Look how widely used diesels are in Europe and Asia and compare that to here in the states. I rememeber reading somewhere that 65% of all cars sold in Europe are diesel powered. In America the ONLY diesels we have are 3/4 and 1-ton trucks...And of course the VW Jetta and a few exotics. In America I would be suprised if Diesels accounted for even 10% of total car sales.

3. Tows more weight
Really? Because I mean, Do you REALLY want to tow 15,000lbs with an F-150? Its current max tow rating of 11,300lbs in reality is excessive for a 1/2 ton. An engine isn't the only factor when towing...You have the transmission, the axles, the frame, the tires, the wheels....EVERYTHING plays a part.

4. Goes faster
First of all...Who cares if it does? Its a truck! If you spend 40,000$ on a new truck because its ''faster'' then your a total moron. No offense.

Your speaking in pretence about an engine that hasn't even been made yet...How do you know if it will or will not have more aftermarket products avalible?

But I want you to know that with that said...I'm not arguing against diesels, I've driven my share of diesels and most of them drove very good! I'm just being a realist. I'm just facing facts that the Goverment probably will not allow a practicle small diesel F-150 in the USA for a reasonable cost.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 11-09-2011 09:06 AM

Agreed 640... Good points... Except for having a fast truck, who doesnt want there cake and to eat it to???

Diesel engine in a half ton is pointless at this point due to emmissions.

At this stage in the game with the current gasoline engine, there would be no power gain from a turbo diesel either. The power output would be roughly the same due to limitations of what a half ton pickup is designed to do.

adamsre 11-09-2011 10:03 AM

HMMM, yes I want an F150 diesel but I want it to tow 12k have 300 hp, 600 tq and get 25mpg. I would buy it in a heart-beat! rant on

lhedrick 11-09-2011 10:11 AM

From all indications it looks possible that the mechanics of the New ECO boost motors could be long haul solid. Time will tell. For light trucks they are still too big. My current truck is only about 150 HP. I know it's weak but it gets the job done and never brakes down. When I was a brick layer in the 60's all our trucks were GM with inline 250 Cubic Inch 6 cylinder motors with 3 speeds on the column. Now 800 foot pounds are still not enough. The new trucks weigh 9000 pounds more then the normal pay loads we worked with on a daily basis.

---

80broncoman

I am with you I will not own a truck with an automatic, end of story. I have many reasons. I may be stuck with my old truck for another 10 years. If I am forced to replace it at this time I will have no other choice then a small Toyota. They are still available with the 5 speed. 6 speed manual on the 4 door version.

--

This diesel thing is strange. Americans just refuse to learn how anything works. If it can't be made brain dead automatic they won't have it. Gas and diesel don't burn the same way. People insist on an auto trans and expect a diesel to rev to 6000 just like a short stroke gas engine. Many big diesels produce huge power but only run at 1000 RPM. This is part of what makes the new Big power stroke motor so bad when it is compared to what cummins builds. Even a 5 speed is not enough with an efficient low RPM diesel. Diesels want to run slow and will run that way for years and years while burning almost anything as long as there is no water in it.

archangel 11-09-2011 10:50 AM

"Towing Capacity" "Diesel Fuel Prices compared to Gasoline" "YADA, YADA, YADA":-blah

It does not need to have an friggen F250 towing capacity just because it has a Diesel engine!

A Diesel in an F150 (or Ranger) does not need to be a 1000 lb engine and be all about towing so a small, light, fuel efficient Diesel engine is all they need.

If you or I want towing capacity, we can get an F250 or bigger!

If they want me to purchase another F150, they better have a Diesel option!:-drink

Otherwise my next truck will be probably be a friggen Mahindra!:'(

drmikegallant 11-09-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 11017568)
Hey, I have an idea...Let me break down you're statment for you.

1. Lasts longer
Chance's are that modern gas and diesel engines will last the same amount of time if properly cared for...I've seen both gas and diesel go well over 500,000 miles when taken care of. This argument is moot.

Did you forget about the emission's? You want some comparison? I have a friend who has a 2500 Cummins Dodge 1999 model that gets 26mpg on the highway...His dad has a 2010 2500 Cummins and it only avarages about 11mpg on the highway. You really think they will just excuse a small diesel of these emissions? Face it, the cold hard fact is American politcs want the diesel engine DEAD! Look how widely used diesels are in Europe and Asia and compare that to here in the states. I rememeber reading somewhere that 65% of all cars sold in Europe are diesel powered. In America the ONLY diesels we have are 3/4 and 1-ton trucks...And of course the VW Jetta and a few exotics. In America I would be suprised if Diesels accounted for even 10% of total car sales.

3. Tows more weight
Really? Because I mean, Do you REALLY want to tow 15,000lbs with an F-150? Its current max tow rating of 11,300lbs in reality is excessive for a 1/2 ton. An engine isn't the only factor when towing...You have the transmission, the axles, the frame, the tires, the wheels....EVERYTHING plays a part.

4. Goes faster
First of all...Who cares if it does? Its a truck! If you spend 40,000$ on a new truck because its ''faster'' then your a total moron. No offense.

Your speaking in pretence about an engine that hasn't even been made yet...How do you know if it will or will not have more aftermarket products avalible?

But I want you to know that with that said...I'm not arguing against diesels, I've driven my share of diesels and most of them drove very good! I'm just being a realist. I'm just facing facts that the Goverment probably will not allow a practicle small diesel F-150 in the USA for a reasonable cost.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Bob_91SC4x4 11-09-2011 05:39 PM

Show me a current sized Ranger crew or extra cab 4x4 with a small diesel that gets low 30's mpg. That would seem to be more marketable, at least out west where we have rough terrain, deep snow, and long distances.

archangel 11-09-2011 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_91SC4x4 (Post 11019360)
Show me a current sized Ranger crew or extra cab 4x4 with a small diesel that gets low 30's mpg. That would seem to be more marketable, at least out west where we have rough terrain, deep snow, and long distances.

From Ford..the 2012 models...But not available in North America?

• 2.2L Duratorq diesel engine (88kW & 285Nm; 92kW & 330Nm or 110kW & 375Nm) consumes as little as 7.6 L/100 km (37.2 mpg) with choices of 6-speed manual or automatic transmission
• 3.2L Duratorq diesel engine (147kW & 470 Nm) at 8.4 L/100 km (33.6mpg) with choices of 6-speed manual or automatic transmission

Bob_91SC4x4 11-10-2011 09:42 AM

So they have the engines and are capable of making the vehicle but chose not to due to operational / business / or government regulation concerns. Is that right?

adamsre 11-10-2011 10:59 AM

Ford does have the diesel engine in the rangers as mentioned above. I drove one for over a year in Afghanistan. They are not speed demons but if I had a ranger, that is the engine I would want. I also owned and drove several Tacoma diesels, I would buy another one of those also!

archangel 11-10-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by adamsre (Post 11021911)
Ford does have the diesel engine in the rangers as mentioned above. I drove one for over a year in Afghanistan. They are not speed demons but if I had a ranger, that is the engine I would want. I also owned and drove several Tacoma diesels, I would buy another one of those also!

Once again, not offered in the USA!

460trazy 11-10-2011 02:42 PM

f 150 deisel

Its one of the greatest ideas ive heard of in a while. but why make it a v8 or v6. Maybe they should try out the old 300ci inline 6. one of the greatest motors ive ever had, always wished it was diesel.

OMSF250 11-10-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 80broncoman (Post 11016639)
Yes I'd LOVE to have a Diesel F-150,..... as long as it is the kind of truck i need. THere is no need to buy 5X the truck you will need.
For me to buy one:
1. I do not need a pickup that can tow 10,000 pounds
6500 pounds will do nicley for towing.
2. I do not need a 300HP or higher pickup. if gas 200hp will work fine.
If diesel 130HP will work.
3. A computer is not Needed for ANY kind of tranmission. If there is a problem with that find the people that designed the C-6 and rehire them. it worked.
Speaking of transmissions Some of us want a trans that the drivers shift.
They seem to out last the rest of the vehicle in many cases.
That one is a deal breaker.
4. I don't need a truck as quiet as a lincoln. This is what make the pickups WAY too heavey. and this is what makes you people (at Ford) think you need a 400HP pickup truck to match other companys.

Quit worrying about them and build a 4700 lb 1/2 ton truck with a 130-160HP diesel and it will get 30MPG and sell faster than you can make them.
If you build them slightly smaller we can see out of them better .
if you build them slightly smaller they will get better MPG no matter what engine is in them

I can reach across my bench seat in my 77 F150 and unlock the passenger side door. THAT is a reasonable sized truck.

:-jammin :-jammin :-jammin :-jammin

Although I think the automatic option is still a seller for me... I'm freakin tired of shifting, but couldn't agree more on the C6!

The Rangers were perfect too. A sweet little 1.7-2.0l diesel would get 50 +++ mpg's.

The gutless wonder VW Rabbit..... when it got to where it was going.... only consumed 1 gal/45-60 miles driven.They were in the 1.5l range.

It had something like a 60 or 80hp engine.(?????)

A 1.5l engine with today's technocrats whizzing em up would easily reach 70mpg's.

Again..... who the eff are they fooling??

drmikegallant 11-10-2011 08:52 PM

I've been driving a 1975 Mercedes 240D for more than 15 years. The car was my grandmother's, then my fathers, and now it's still nearly all original at over 350,000 miles. It weighed nearly 4000lbs and had a whopping 62hp. That was enough hp to take it above redline and past 90mph on level ground. (Sorry I was 16 once)

Nobody needs all the power they have. Of course, power is fun.