Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   I really want to change my Trim interior color to black(Any Thoughts) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1070909-i-really-want-to-change-my-trim-interior-color-to-black-any-thoughts.html)

KNIGHTRIDER V10 05-29-2011 09:42 PM

I really want to change my Trim interior color to black(Any Thoughts)

My whole front dash and door trims I want to get it to a black color but not to sure how to go about this so any thoughts or has anybody tried this task yet ?
2000 X model LTD

Peace2Peep 05-29-2011 11:47 PM

From what I've seen at some upholstery shops, the plastic parts can be painted with proper plastic trim paint, as can the dash. The smooth and shiny stuff probably requires some light sanding and then maybe some adhesion promoting then some paint and clear(semi or flat?)

KNIGHTRIDER V10 05-30-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Peace2Peep (Post 10401399)
From what I've seen at some upholstery shops, the plastic parts can be painted with proper plastic trim paint, as can the dash. The smooth and shiny stuff probably requires some light sanding and then maybe some adhesion promoting then some paint and clear(semi or flat?)

Thanks and it looks like a big job ,I was thinking they had ready painted kits and was hoping someone knew something on this.

Sader 05-30-2011 07:54 AM

I have dyed interior panels before with really good results. SEM makes a rally good product for re-coloring plastic interior parts. Go to your local body shop supply and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I had cleaned the plastic thoroughly with a heavy duty cleaner, dry completely, spray the adhesion promoter( followed directions and waited the recommended amount of time), then sprayed the color on. A concern I had was scratching and the color coming off. The adhesion promoter softens the plastic and opens the pores for a true dying process. With normal scrapes and scuffs the color did not come off.

I love black interiors, I would think this would turn out awesome!

:-drink

KNIGHTRIDER V10 05-30-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sader (Post 10402016)
I have dyed interior panels before with really good results. SEM makes a rally good product for re-coloring plastic interior parts. Go to your local body shop supply and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I had cleaned the plastic thoroughly with a heavy duty cleaner, dry completely, spray the adhesion promoter( followed directions and waited the recommended amount of time), then sprayed the color on. A concern I had was scratching and the color coming off. The adhesion promoter softens the plastic and opens the pores for a true dying process. With normal scrapes and scuffs the color did not come off.

I love black interiors, I would think this would turn out awesome!

:-drink

you :-jamminrock Sader thanks