Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Senior User

KNIGHTRIDER V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I really want to change my Trim interior color to black(Any Thoughts)

My whole front dash and door trims I want to get it to a black color but not to sure how to go about this so any thoughts or has anybody tried this task yet ?
2000 X model LTD
Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Elder User

Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.Peace2Peep has a great reputation on FTE.
From what I've seen at some upholstery shops, the plastic parts can be painted with proper plastic trim paint, as can the dash. The smooth and shiny stuff probably requires some light sanding and then maybe some adhesion promoting then some paint and clear(semi or flat?)
05 PSD Limited Ex, V's and B's, Bilstein Shocks, Harley H/L, Billet Badges, Red Head, 30mm Sway, FCDP Delete, FCDP Coolant, JL Audio Stealthbox, DC Power 270 Amp Alt, XS Power D6500 Batts, F650 Dash, Focal Coax, Tracvision a7, Adj Track Bar, Xbox, R/C Dual Steer Stab, 2008 Diff Cover, Mag Hytech Trans Pan, SCT Innov Tunes, Soundstream 10.2" screen, ARP Headstuds, Isspro Gauges, Kenwood DNN990HD, Silverline 4" Exh, JL Audio Amps, BMF Novakane 22x10.5 Death Metal Wheels, Toyo O.C. A/T II Extreme 325-50-22, Iron Cross Boards
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep View Post
From what I've seen at some upholstery shops, the plastic parts can be painted with proper plastic trim paint, as can the dash. The smooth and shiny stuff probably requires some light sanding and then maybe some adhesion promoting then some paint and clear(semi or flat?)
Thanks and it looks like a big job ,I was thinking they had ready painted kits and was hoping someone knew something on this.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Senior User

Sader has a good reputation on FTE.Sader has a good reputation on FTE.
I have dyed interior panels before with really good results. SEM makes a rally good product for re-coloring plastic interior parts. Go to your local body shop supply and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I had cleaned the plastic thoroughly with a heavy duty cleaner, dry completely, spray the adhesion promoter( followed directions and waited the recommended amount of time), then sprayed the color on. A concern I had was scratching and the color coming off. The adhesion promoter softens the plastic and opens the pores for a true dying process. With normal scrapes and scuffs the color did not come off.

I love black interiors, I would think this would turn out awesome!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sader View Post
I have dyed interior panels before with really good results. SEM makes a rally good product for re-coloring plastic interior parts. Go to your local body shop supply and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I had cleaned the plastic thoroughly with a heavy duty cleaner, dry completely, spray the adhesion promoter( followed directions and waited the recommended amount of time), then sprayed the color on. A concern I had was scratching and the color coming off. The adhesion promoter softens the plastic and opens the pores for a true dying process. With normal scrapes and scuffs the color did not come off.

I love black interiors, I would think this would turn out awesome!

you rock Sader thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM