Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oklahoma Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum92/)
-   -   How's Everyone Doing? I'm Still Here..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1065470-hows-everyone-doing-im-still-here.html)

IB Tim 05-21-2011 06:36 AM

Good morning all

Do you have a 12a in it

MikeB 88 05-21-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by IB Tim (Post 10368056)
Good morning all

Morning, just got in home work.

cigarxtc 05-21-2011 09:13 AM

Yaaaa. The sun is trying to appear. :)

Rogue_Wulff 05-21-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by IB Tim (Post 10368056)
Good morning all

Do you have a 12a in it

Yeah, it's a 12A in this one.
I do have another with a 13B, converted from EFI to carb using an edelbrock 600, header and custom ignition system. Never put it on the dyno, but it should be kicking out around 160-180 RWHP. Factory rating was 135 HP at the flywheel.

jwtimme 05-21-2011 10:38 PM

put the car on the dyno, made a whopping 412 at the rear wheels which is not too bad for a stock headed motor with a mild cam.

Rogue_Wulff 05-21-2011 11:30 PM

Where did you take it for the dyno session?

IB Tim 05-22-2011 06:56 AM

What is your 12a putting out.

MikeB 88 05-22-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jwtimme (Post 10370582)
put the car on the dyno, made a whopping 412 at the rear wheels which is not too bad for a stock headed motor with a mild cam.

Not to shabby!! :-jammin

jwtimme 05-22-2011 09:04 AM

Rogue I took it over to k&m muffler in BA we had a mustang club GTG and we all dynoed our cars. It was a dyno dynamic dyno which is suppost to rerad 8% lower than a dyno jet dyno.

Rogue_Wulff 05-22-2011 10:01 AM

K&M is one place I wasn't aware of having a dyno. I'm sure there's a few others that slipped under the radar.

Tim: The 12a was the one hit 138 RWHP on it's one and only pull. I have no idea how accurate that was, due to the inductive lead falling to read from ~2500 to about 6000. When the throttle hung open, the engine reached 8500 before I could kill the power by shutting off the key. The previous owner had rebuilt the carb, and took all the carb linkage apart. That area is shown on the rebuild instructions with a bold warning "DO NOT DISASSEMBLE". Since they had put it together wrong, I ignored that warning and took it back apart to correct the issue. I must have got it right, been 6 years since the throttle hung open, and it hasn't happened again..... I just haven't bothered to put it back on a dyno.
I run the car in autocross, where power isn't nearly as big a factor as handling. As such, most of the stuff I have done to the car has been in the suspension and brake dept. GSL disc brake rearend with LSD, and ground control/eibach suspension being the main upgrades. Prior to the rear diff swap, even 50 HP was more than enough to induce a "one wheel peel" with the open diff exiting a corner.
The car is really too old to be truely competitive in the class I have to run. The solid rear axle really hurts it's chances against the class king, the miata. Both have similar power, wieght, weight balance near 50/50, but the miata's IRS allows for much better handling. The miata also has a lower center of gravity, due to the lack of a metal roof.
I've thought about getting a miata chassis, and swapping in a 13B rotary. That would be a good combo, but I bet it would cost me a lot more than the $500 I initially paid for the RX7, or the $1500 total investment to date in that car, which also includes the 2 sets of tires and wheels. If I was rich, I'd invest the $800-900 for a single set of hoosier r-comps that most of the miata guys use, rather than stick with $200/set street tires. That would help even out the playing field a bit, but I manage to hold my own most of the time. I certainly get more life out of my tires, since the last set lasted 3 seasons, while the hoosiers may not last 1 full season......
Gratuitous pic of the RX7, just because I can....
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...8/DSC_6236.jpg

IB Tim 05-23-2011 06:27 AM

We have got to chat on the phone...my 12a on the dyno on 36mm weber carb is putting out 245hp

Rogue_Wulff 05-23-2011 10:26 AM

245HP from a 12a, must be either bridge ported, or periphrial ported. What is it in?

Mine still has the factory carb and intake, along with functional A/C and cruise. It also returns 20+ MPG. It's all time best was 26.5 MPG on a 250 mile trip, and 25 MPG on the way back. However, in between those 2 tanks, it was down in the single digit range, since I had gone to play at Motorsport ranch for the day.
I suspect it has had a little work work done on the ports to impove flow, but the port timing hasn't been altered much, if at all. It holds a decent idle at 800 RPM. I want to change the intake and carb, since the stock stuff acts like such a restrictor plate. I'm thinking of trying the RB holley intake and an edelbrock carb, like the 6p 13B has.

cigarxtc 05-23-2011 10:49 AM

As ya'll probably heard, Joplin got hit hard by the tornadoes. One of the local Owasso supply/donation dropoffs is Keller Williams right across the street from SuperWalmart. If ya'll get the chance and want to drop off some donations here's the info. My wife and coworker are stopping after work to drop off some bottled water. I'm sure anything we can send their way will be appreciated. :)

" They are collecting personal hygiene items, work gloves, bottled water, etc. at Keller Williams today. If you are able, please put the items in a plastic storage container. It is still storming and cardboard boxes will just get wet and tear up.

Keller Williams is located at 12150 E. 96th St. N. across from the Wal-Mart. They close at 5:30pm today. "

Rogue_Wulff 05-23-2011 12:34 PM

Yeah, I heard about the destruction. Any donations I make will have to be dropped off elsewhere, since the Owasso drop is about 60 mile round trip for me.

I am also waiting to hear any news from people I know in the area. I have some really close freinds that live down along the Mo/Ar border just off 71, and that area got hit with some rather bad storms too.

IB Tim 05-24-2011 06:12 AM

Underneath my name says Swift dB4...click on it...Good Morning

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 10375964)
245HP from a 12a, must be either bridge ported, or periphrial ported. What is it in?

Mine still has the factory carb and intake, along with functional A/C and cruise. It also returns 20+ MPG. It's all time best was 26.5 MPG on a 250 mile trip, and 25 MPG on the way back. However, in between those 2 tanks, it was down in the single digit range, since I had gone to play at Motorsport ranch for the day.
I suspect it has had a little work work done on the ports to impove flow, but the port timing hasn't been altered much, if at all. It holds a decent idle at 800 RPM. I want to change the intake and carb, since the stock stuff acts like such a restrictor plate. I'm thinking of trying the RB holley intake and an edelbrock carb, like the 6p 13B has.