Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   "Check Coolant Additive" (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1064454-check-coolant-additive.html)

Rick Cargo 05-04-2011 07:10 PM

"Check Coolant Additive"

Driving to work this morning and I get a notification "Check Coolant Additive". Sure, I've got 12,100 miles on it but come on. A dealer in Temecula wants $79.95 to check the coolant additive. They dip a test strip in the coolant to check it out. Then I called my dealer in Hemet and he said to bring her in in the morning and we will check the coolant at no charge. He says it only takes a few minutes to check provided the engine isn't too hot. I guess the "coolant additive" is something that the computer monitors to make sure the coolant is still good. Anybody know of this?

kper05 05-04-2011 07:16 PM

It's similar to the oil monitor is my understanding.
The computer doesn't really know the condition of your coolant but based on your usage (lots of towing or idling, etc), the computer then determines when a check is needed.

The test strip is supposed to show a certain color and you match it to a chart which instructs you what to do.

And darnit, I forgot to ask for test strips while I was at the dealer the other day.
I'm at 15,000 and I want to check regardless of the message.

Rick Cargo 05-04-2011 07:42 PM

Yeah, but even if you can test it yourself how do you get rid of the annoying warning message?

lexustbs 05-04-2011 08:01 PM

You clear in in the INFO screen. Should tell you how to in the owners manual.

Also, here is how to test your coolant:

1st. Check for the presence of nitrates in your coolant (There should be none) with Rotunda test kit number 328-00001. If there is, you have to flush and refill.

2nd. Check the percent of glycol in the coolant. use the same rotunda kit for this as well. Should be between 40-60%. If this is not the case, you have the flush the cooling system.

3rd. Check the Reverse Coolant Alkalinity. You need Rotunda test kit number 328-00008.
If its low, you must add some stuff included with the kit, if its high, you add another stuff to the coolant. If its ok, move to next step.

4th. Check coolant corrosion ability. You need rotunda kit number 328-00008, which is the same as last. Follow the instructions included in the kit. If it does not pass, then you have to add a bottle of revitalizer. Ford part number vc-12. Otherwise your coolant is good to go.

WOW. I would charge $75 for this too. :)

Link to supplies
https://rotunda.spx.com/en-US/Pages/...x?itemID=16878
https://rotunda.spx.com/en-US/Pages/...x?itemID=22023

kereams 05-04-2011 09:17 PM

Is there anyone that sells a lesser quantity? Those kits seem like enough for a few hundred thousand miles, no?

Painted Horse 05-04-2011 10:30 PM

Go to the info screen and choose Coolant and press and hold the OK button until it clears.

The message will appear about every 600 hours.

Service Manager said he would test it next time it was in. He wasn't too worried about this first mesage. especially since he knew I would be in for a oil change in a few weeks.

djjoshuad 05-05-2011 10:53 AM

they should change that message to "Hey, it's time for your regularly scheduled coolant additive test!"

That's what it means, anyway :)

EpicCowlick 05-05-2011 11:35 AM

Thanks lex. My kit is on its way.

lexustbs 05-05-2011 12:45 PM

No prob. The price did not bother me because I have read too many horror stories about the wrong coolant being added, or the wrong strips being used. Plus, you service department is going to change you out the wazoo anyways if they do it right or wrong.

With all the emissions and high power these motors are putting out, the coolant system is so very important. This is coming from experience in the class 8 trucks.... Oh boy.

Rick Cargo 05-05-2011 07:00 PM

I was at the dealer for all of maybe 15 minutes. It took the guy longer to show me how to reset the message than it did for the actual test. He said that he usually doesn't reset the messages. All done at 'no charge'. I like that.

BTyner41 05-05-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 10303110)
Go to the info screen and choose Coolant and press and hold the OK button until it clears.

The message will appear about every 600 hours.

Service Manager said he would test it next time it was in. He wasn't too worried about this first mesage. especially since he knew I would be in for a oil change in a few weeks.

I took mine in this morning for this message (12,300 miles) and the service manager told me the same thing as he reset the message.

xxtra 05-06-2011 05:09 PM

$73+ for the testing kit only?
Why not just flash the coolant every certain miles. I think 4 gallons of coolant + distilled water will run less than $73. Does the coolant flush need other additives?

lexustbs 05-06-2011 05:59 PM

You have it wrong. $75.00 for a kit that will last the life of your truck vs. You saying to change the coolany every 16,000 miles. Plus the peace of mind knowing my coolant was checked right is well worth my $75. Just my 2 cents. Now I have a total of $75.02 invested in coolant testing. :)

I'll state again, coolant systems are very very important to this truck..... Just as important as your oil.

JReinert 05-06-2011 06:04 PM

I paid $20 a gallon for the coolant at my local Ford dealership. I had 50k on the truck and decided to change it.

lexustbs 05-06-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JReinert (Post 10310166)
I paid $20 a gallon for the coolant at my local Ford dealership. I had 50k on the truck and decided to change it.

Whats it take to change both systems? 10 gallons?