Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Clutch cable broke? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060346-clutch-cable-broke.html)

thechief66 04-21-2011 11:18 AM

It looks like you also need to replace the post on the clutch pedal assembly that the master cylinder attaches to. It's Ford # E7TZ-7A554-A, about $25.
Usually what happens is the little bushing in there wears out, then it starts wearing down the little stud and the pushrod till one or the other breaks.

BRay09 04-21-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by thechief66 (Post 10247975)
It looks like you also need to replace the post on the clutch pedal assembly that the master cylinder attaches to. It's Ford # E7TZ-7A554-A, about $25.
Usually what happens is the little bushing in there wears out, then it starts wearing down the little stud and the pushrod till one or the other breaks.

The push rod usually comes with a new master cylinder

MFogarty1996 04-21-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BRay09 (Post 10247239)
Or if you have 2 helpers you can put everything on and get a rubber vacuum line that can connect to the bleeder on the slave. Use a clean clear container and put the brake fluid in it. Insert the vacuum line in the container and have one person continue to fill the reservoir while the other pumps the pedal. Do this until the air bubbles quit coming out.

Best advice i got! But all the others helped as well. After my brother and father helped me it took about 5 mis to do it. The replacements included push rod and master cylinder. the little stud that connects to the clutch pedal was fine the new plastic piece clicked on and has no play other than what is needed to move. Everyone was a Great help. i love this site for that exact reason. Thanks guys!

BRay09 04-22-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MFogarty1996 (Post 10248922)
Best advice i got! But all the others helped as well. After my brother and father helped me it took about 5 mis to do it. The replacements included push rod and master cylinder. the little stud that connects to the clutch pedal was fine the new plastic piece clicked on and has no play other than what is needed to move. Everyone was a Great help. i love this site for that exact reason. Thanks guys!

Glad we could be a help. I thought that was the easiest way i found to get no air in the line or slave. Works the best and helps with spongy clutch feeling.

Do i feel some rep points for that post :D

thechief66 04-22-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BRay09 (Post 10247988)
The push rod usually comes with a new master cylinder

I wasn't referring to the pushrod, I meant the part that hooks into it.
But it sounds like he got it together OK.

BRay09 04-22-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by thechief66 (Post 10252783)
I wasn't referring to the pushrod, I meant the part that hooks into it.
But it sounds like he got it together OK.

Oh. I didnt know that you could even replace that part!

Just for reference, they usually have those plastic pieces that hold the plunger on the peddal in the Help! isle at advanced auto parts. Could never locate them when i had my old truck. It always kept breaking them off