Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Minnesota Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum86/)
-   -   welcome to the your an April FOOL thread..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1055010-welcome-to-the-your-an-april-fool-thread.html)

DieselCamper01 04-04-2011 09:48 PM

Ah, c'mon Lee. Join the cool kids...

Good news on the house too.

DieselCamper01 04-04-2011 09:50 PM

Hello Dave and Dale.

Good night Dale.

And the V10 will never get better than 12 if you're lucky.

Skattracker3 04-04-2011 09:50 PM

Good night Dale

Skattracker3 04-04-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DieselCamper01 (Post 10181588)
Hello Dave and Dale.

Good night Dale.

And the V10 will never get better than 12 if you're lucky.

Hey now, on a long trip I avg 12 or better. Last time to Fargo in Nov I avg 13.6 on the way there. Only 9 on the way back as I was in 4x4 the whole way.

If I got 12 towing the 5er I would get a tatoo stateing that.

Ford79 04-04-2011 10:01 PM

Good evening guys.

Originally Posted by arnoldhunter (Post 10178303)
Was thinking and probably need some points/counterpoints.

I have a 1984 F-350 DRW C&C. The body is so-so. It has had some foam repair, and other corrective actions taken on it. Still, no rust. But, there is a leak, presumably through the visor or cab lights. Much of this truck has had recent replacement: exhaust, brakes, steering gear and shaft, tires, radius arm bushings, glow-plugs with controller, fuel tank, and more. I have front shocks that I will install soon. The trouble is, it is still a standard cab and not really in that great of shape.

I also have Fungus, a 1986 DRW crew cab with just about nothing in good shape, except the body and the frame. The motor is presumed dead. For one thing, there is no carburator. I have a 460 that could drop in, or be rebuilt first. There is some missing glass and the interior is shot. The rear axle is toast. I have another axle (Sterling 10.25) that is SRW. The bed is okay but could use some cosmetic work. This truck would probably require a serious investment to bring back alive.

I did some measuring and the crew cab is much longer than the standard cab, believe it or not. It would potentially fit on the C&C, but it would go back to just behind my current fuel filler, which isn't very far in front of the rear wheels. Essentially, it would be a big SUV with a short box, unless I lengthened it some. There isn't much weight I could haul without it being behind the rear axle. But, it would probably be pretty darned competent at pulling a trailer.

The 84 is a Diesel, which has some differences to the cab. I assume they are to do with the dash and nothing really physical. The 86 is a gasser.

Talke me into it, or out of it. Are there any showstoppers? This is not a daily runner, but would be used for hauling machines and lumber, on the bed, or on a trailer.

TIA

That's quite the dilemma there Eric. You have a few different routes to go, 460 in to Fungus and LOTS of other work or swap the IDI into it and still have LOTS of work otherwise. The crew cab on to the C&C chassis would be pretty involved too as you would most likely want to lengthen the frame so you can have at least an 8 foot bed on it, but as long as it is done right it would be OK.

Originally Posted by DieselCamper01 (Post 10179019)
All you guys with 7.3's. What kind om MPG have you been seeing this winter? I did a lot of partial fillups so I don't have a lot of data but on my last tank I did a mileage check and I only got 10-11 mpg. This seems way low even taking into consideratin I do mostly shorts runs. No boost leaks last I checked either. My mileage has been rotten for a while now too.

Pretty crappy this winter, 10 has been the average for me. Might be slightly higher this last tank, like 11 but that is it. And I have REALLY leaky up pipes and a very dusted compressor wheel.
I was getting 15-16 last summer and got as good as 13 towing the camper out to Suppertown last fall.

Originally Posted by dlibson (Post 10179540)
Jay, it was all highway, but I got 16 out to Troy's... Miss my 6.0 milage...

That's not too bad of mileage on winter fuel Dave.

Originally Posted by mndiesel (Post 10180914)
Jay I have been getting between 14/15 all winter. The winter fuel definitely takes the mileage down some.

Cory 12mpg is pretty good mileage with the tires you are running and the camper you pull. I only get 10.5/11 towing.....

OK Dave I will stop by just need to find some bottles to put it in. Maybe tomorrow if not Wednesday.

Hello to the rest of you on here......

I have a FEW bottles you could have if you need them.............

Originally Posted by Skattracker3 (Post 10181481)
Wow guys. My thoughts about getting a dsl so I can get 14-15 mpg towing has kind of went out the window. I thought you guys would at least get 12 all day long. I am now really happy with 9 and my gasser towing. I may just need to keep it since that money tree is not producing yet. Maybe gears this spring if I can get rid of a tractor.

Found out today that when I refinance the house to get Michelle off the loan I will save 1.35% interest. That makes it really worth it. I may even just pay off the 5er now and pay extra, or maybe a different truck. No No, I do not mean that or you guys will have one all but bought for me by the end of the week.}>

That sounds like a good savings on the interest rate Lee. I often wonder if we would be better off refinancing too, haven't looked into it too much though.

Originally Posted by dlibson (Post 10181519)
LOL Lee!

The savings are surely good. The summer will up the MPG's for everyone. But really diesels get their mileage on the highway and longer trips. Short trips kill 'em as far as mpg goes...

Yep, that's pretty much it Dave, short trips and warm up time in the winter.

DieselCamper01 04-04-2011 10:01 PM

Then you are truly a lucky man Lee. Most never see above 10 no matter what they do.

MisterCMK 04-04-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by DieselCamper01 (Post 10181418)
I would have expected yours to be a bit better Chris. I am sure that my 2-3 mile trips all winter long don't help my mileage.

I have a lot of those as well. Running out to the shop or up to the store isn't a long trip.

Originally Posted by dlibson (Post 10181492)
You should be better than that. Even with the short trips and floorboard is in the way mentality. Especially with the tuner...

What do you think I should be getting? What should I be looking at?

DieselCamper01 04-04-2011 10:05 PM

I am off to bed. Talk to you tomorrow.

Skattracker3 04-04-2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DieselCamper01 (Post 10181648)
Then you are truly a lucky man Lee. Most never see above 10 no matter what they do.

I do drive slow enough to drive Miss Daisy though. If I push over 70mph it drops fast. The 13.6 was not using 94 to Fargo, I had to drop off someone so we took 55 most of the way.

Skattracker3 04-04-2011 10:07 PM

I am gonna run too guys, have a good night.

msmenne17 04-04-2011 10:10 PM

Evening everyone ...

I get between 13 and 15 in the winter. Last summer, I got 18 avg with a high of 20 on longer trips. With the price of Diesel continuing to go up, I might need to do something sooner than later. I can't afford it as a daily driver.

Tried my hand at welding for the first time this weekend. The lumbar pillow bracket in the seat has been busted since I bought the truck. I "fixed" it with some tie wraps about a year or so ago. It held up surprisingly well. Unfortunately, the weld only held less than 18 hours. Like I said ... first try at welding, so I'm sure I didn't prep it and or put enough of a weld bead on it. Oh well ... I'll try again later this week or this weekend.

MisterCMK 04-04-2011 10:21 PM

I'm finally gonna get that FTE shirt! Woohoo

Michael - Did you take a grinder to the metal and make sure it is clean?

And with that I'm outta here.

msmenne17 04-04-2011 10:28 PM

CMK ... no I didn't. Like I said ... this was my first attempt (shoot first ... ask questions later). I thought about the grinder after things broke.

84-6.9L 04-04-2011 11:25 PM

Eric, The c&c frame is 33'' wide and the crew frame is 371/2" wide. so if you wanted to lengthen it you will have to strech it under the cab. and if you want a box on it forget it, it won't work. All the diesel mounts will fit into the gasser frame. The crew frame is strong look at my sig pic thats 24,000gcw. Wiring for the diesel 1 keyed 12v to the fss, 1 keyed hot to the high idle sender, and a big 12v to the glow plugs. the whole vac system should be plug and play. Fuel tanks would be a challange because you need a return line to the tank. You could swap in the inner fenders with everything attached that will give you the right vac system and the golw plug wiring and a plug and play engine harness and the left bat tray

sddesigns 04-05-2011 05:03 AM

Good Morning MN! :)

Happy Tuesday! :D