Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2009+ 5.4 spark plugs. Same 2 piece? When to change? (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1053489-2009-5-4-spark-plugs-same-2-piece-when-to-change.html)

Paulford8 03-27-2011 07:43 AM

2009+ 5.4 spark plugs. Same 2 piece? When to change?
 
Does the 2009 5.4 still have the 2 piece plug? Has anybody changed their plugs yet? I already have 20K and dont want to leave 2 piece plugs in much longer if that is what I have.

I thought about just waiting until the end of the warranty period and having the dealer change, but nixed that thought. The dealer charges mega coin for just about everything anymore.

Mgizler 03-27-2011 12:45 PM

I talked to the parts manager where I bought my 2010 and he said when the 5.4 went flex fuel capable, they changed the plug design. Its no longer a 2 piece like the previous design. I was also concerned and trying to gather info.

LCPullman 03-27-2011 04:16 PM

They changed mid year 08 so if you have a 09 or newer you shouldn't need to worry about the 2-piece design.

arno 03-27-2011 05:41 PM

True, but still concerned.....have not found anyone who has changed them yet. I have an 09 26000.

Paulford8 03-27-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arno (Post 10146688)
True, but still concerned.....have not found anyone who has changed them yet. I have an 09 26000.

You have higher miles then me, maybe you should be the guinea pig :)

arno 03-27-2011 05:52 PM

Trying not to be that guy!

fordtorque 03-27-2011 07:52 PM

the 2009+ 5.4 liter triton engine has a stronger one piece design that will not gather carbon on the tip to cause the plug to be stuck in the hole.i work at a ford dealership and have done many 2009 f150 5.4 spark plugs with over 100 000 kms and were not a problem to take out.i know this may sound crazy,but you should have no problem at all leaving them in there for 200 000 kms or 125 000 miles without breaking them.

the only conern i've have with the 2009 5.4 was where they got the spark plugs changed and the tech globbing anti seize (lubricant/greese) on the tip and threads of the plug.the extreme heat of the engine will liquify the anti seize causing it to running down into the tip of the plug fouling them causing extremly bad misfires.

the 2009+ engines do NOT need anti seize on them to prevent breakage because they do NOT break as they are a newer ONE piece design.

arno 03-27-2011 09:17 PM

Sounds great! Hows the job of changing plugs on an 09+ overall?


Quote:

Originally Posted by fordtorque (Post 10147261)
the 2009+ 5.4 liter triton engine has a stronger one piece design that will not gather carbon on the tip to cause the plug to be stuck in the hole.i work at a ford dealership and have done many 2009 f150 5.4 spark plugs with over 100 000 kms and were not a problem to take out.i know this may sound crazy,but you should have no problem at all leaving them in there for 200 000 kms or 125 000 miles without breaking them.

the only conern i've have with the 2009 5.4 was where they got the spark plugs changed and the tech globbing anti seize (lubricant/greese) on the tip and threads of the plug.the extreme heat of the engine will liquify the anti seize causing it to running down into the tip of the plug fouling them causing extremly bad misfires.

the 2009+ engines do NOT need anti seize on them to prevent breakage because they do NOT break as they are a newer ONE piece design.


fordtorque 03-27-2011 09:40 PM

the overall job i'd say is actually pretty easy as far as not removing half the engine compartment to reach the plugs.they isnt as much stuff you have to remove.pretty straight forward,alot more space then the 2008 and previous models.

Fasttimez 03-28-2011 07:08 PM

Yeah the later model 5.4's are very straight forward. The earlier models were a 50/50 shot at the plug leaving it's better half stuck in the cylinder head. Just seems like yesterday we were having to do the ole "turn the plug 1/4 turn, spray PB blaster or whatever in the spark plug hole to let it work it's way around the plug, let them sit for awhile and then attempt to remove them, hoping they would come out in 1 piece"...lol You should be fine with the 2009 model.

boomhauer89 03-06-2014 11:34 PM

I just changed the plugs in my late modle 08, I had a coil pack go bad right after so I changed it and it ran great for a few days then started skipping like crazy, on the cylinder with the new coil but the coil wasn't bad and just changed the plug again and it still does it, but the skipping will go in and out, any ideas?

tvsjr 03-07-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomhauer89 (Post 14140543)
I just changed the plugs in my late modle 08, I had a coil pack go bad right after so I changed it and it ran great for a few days then started skipping like crazy, on the cylinder with the new coil but the coil wasn't bad and just changed the plug again and it still does it, but the skipping will go in and out, any ideas?

Yep. One big idea. Go buy a new keyboard, because apparently your punctuation isn't working properly. Once done, rewrite your post into something approximating English.

tseekins 03-07-2014 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvsjr (Post 14140650)
Yep. One big idea. Go buy a new keyboard, because apparently your punctuation isn't working properly. Once done, rewrite your post into something approximating English.

This isn't the kind of help he was looking for. :-hijacked

marksp 03-11-2014 04:29 PM

2009 5.4L spark plug change
 
I can attest to all the other threads that the 2009 5.4L plugs are of the 1 piece design and come out like a normal plug without any concerns. I am an ASE double master tech with 27 years experience and I own an 09. Do yourself a favor and dont fall into any of the "our plugs give you more power" advertising scams. Plugs like accel or E3 can actually cause more problems than not in certain engines. Stick with Motorcraft OE plugs and you'll have no concerns.:-jammin

arno 03-11-2014 05:10 PM

Just bough the plugs from Ford(a bit over $100!) and will be doing the swap ASAP. Ill post the results when done. Truck currently has 74k on it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.