Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   95 PSD E4OD won't go into drive (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1046306-95-psd-e4od-wont-go-into-drive.html)

JermKline 03-04-2011 10:04 AM

95 PSD E4OD won't go into drive

Hi all...

I've been searching this thread for a solution to my problem but since transmission problems can be varied, none quite matched.

My rig is a 1995 F-250 Powerstroke 4x4 with 150k on the clock and an E4OD. It has been well maintained and no major work performed aside from glow plugs recently... That was fun! But that's another story...

The issue: Irregularly and randomly over the last year or so the truck has had a problem going into drive. I'll hop in, put it in Drive and nothing. It's like its in Neutral. It is also the same in 1 and 2. If I put it in Reverse, I can feel it engage and the starts to go in reverse. When it has this drive issue, the only thing that I can do to make it go is to give it some fuel and idle it up. Then it slowly engages and its fine.

**EDIT** Last night it did this... But this time when I could only get it to go by putting it in first and then giving it fuel... It slowly engaged.

Overall its done this maybe five or six times over the last year and doesn't seem to be getting worse. Sometimes it will go for a month with no issue.

This has happened when its warm or cold so I'm not sure heat is an issue. About 10,000 miles ago the transmission was flushed / full service. Oh, and the ATF level is exactly where it should be.

My biggest fear is that the transmission needs a rebuild. One local shop quoted me $4200 to rebuild it.

What I'm looking for is to know if there is a simpler and cheaper fix. I'm not really interested in a rebuild, unless that is the only option.

So, any ideas? My fingers are crossed for a simple fix. :-X10

jk080 03-04-2011 06:56 PM

I would think that you have made sure that the level of trans fluid is correct.

If the level is correct there are a few things that come to mind that can cause the delay into drive, but they are all problems inside the trans that would require the removal and inspection of the trans.

I would at least get another opinion on the trans from a different shop, there is only so much someone can do over the internet.

The price you have been quoted seems high to me, we do these with all the updates, shift kit and converter for around $2400 to $3000.

gsmoljan 03-04-2011 08:04 PM

codes

did you hook up scan tool and see if there are any codes like 628 converter slippage or 629 solenoid circuit failure 632 tsc did not switch state

JermKline 03-04-2011 09:41 PM

Yep, fluid level is correct. And thanks for the info. When I was told $4200 for a rebuild, I choked a little.

I just had my buddy hook his code reader up to it and he said it wasn't throwing any codes. Assuming he was running it correctly... He seemed to know his way around the reader pretty well.

One thing he did say was the line pressure at idle was 5psi. But, neither of us know if that is within spec.

I talked to a local trans shop my dad has had good luck with and the truck is going in on Wednesday for a checkout. When I told the guy about it, he said it could be a major issue or a minor one but hard to say.

What I find kinda funny is that my neighbors who have 7.3 PSD/E4OD have chimed on on the issue saying its crap in the valve body or the MPLS. If there is crap in the body, to me that points to a bigger issue.

Just for fun I'm gonna take it by one of the parts houses and have them scan it tomorrow.

I'll keep the thread updated with my findings!

Thanks jk080 and gsmoljan for the reply and info!

gsmoljan 03-05-2011 05:48 AM

line pressure

i think that i read that it showld be 65 psi in drive and before you send it to a trans shop ck craigslist you can always find a builder in there and a lot cheaper by me they only know 2000.00 at gibralter or lee miles but through craigs list found builder that wants only 750.00 so before you do it ck and they can tell you about better cluches and better parts dont forget a rebuild kit for your trans is only 235.00

Rodney Langley 08-17-2014 12:45 PM

My 95 F150 is doing the same thing. The difference is, I just had the front pump seal changed and it won't go into drive at all now. It was leaking really bad, but I filled it up with fluid, drove it a couple of hundred yards from my neighbors, had the seal replaced, and now it won't go in drive. Only reverse. It was driving fine before the seal change. Any ideas on something they could have messed up?

Rodney Langley 08-19-2014 08:09 AM

Also, how do you check the pressure? Is there a certain gauge/tool to use?

Mark Kovalsky 08-19-2014 12:33 PM

To check pressure get a 0-350PSI gauge. There is a test port on the driver's side of the trans, just above the pan, towards the front of the trans.

Rodney Langley 08-20-2014 12:48 PM

New info: We fooled around with the truck again yesterday, checking connections on the tranny and such, and I drove it in reverse some on our drive (very bumpy). I switched into drive and felt it try to go in gear. I was able to get it to move forward VERY slow. (less than 5mph) I checked the fluid level and it had went down off the stick, so I added a couple of quarts and it brought it back up to the normal range. I thought maybe that would do the trick, but no improvement after that. Does this sound like something is stuck in the valve body? Is there anyway to resolve that without rebuilding the tranny?

Mark Kovalsky 08-20-2014 02:46 PM

It is definitely NOT anything electrical, nor is it in the valve body.

If it has enough fluid and the internal filter hasn't fallen out, then there is no way to fix this without a rebuild.

Rodney Langley 08-23-2014 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 14598956)
It is definitely NOT anything electrical, nor is it in the valve body.

If it has enough fluid and the internal filter hasn't fallen out, then there is no way to fix this without a rebuild.

If the filter has fallen out, would that allow it to go in reverse, but barely move in drive?

Mark Kovalsky 08-23-2014 09:55 AM

No, it wouldn't work in drive or reverse.

Rodney Langley 08-24-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 14606159)
No, it wouldn't work in drive or reverse.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea what may be the cause? As I said, it was driving and shifting fine before I parked it and had the front seal changed. Now, it only goes in reverse pretty much.

Mark Kovalsky 08-24-2014 08:56 PM

The shift linkage could be disconnected, either inside or outside of the transmission. Or the forward clutch could have failed.