Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Eliminate Accessory Delay (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1036352-eliminate-accessory-delay.html)

RogerG 02-03-2011 03:00 PM

Eliminate Accessory Delay

Hello Everyone

My '02 F250 SD is equipped with an accessory delay. When I turn the ignition switch off, the interior light comes on, the radio keeps playing, etc.. Is there anyway to eliminate this feature? When I turn the key off, I want everything off and I sure do not want the dome and cargo light to come on.

Thank you,

Grits

brd7666 02-03-2011 04:03 PM

I would pull out the accessory Delay Relay, and see what happens. If you look in your owners manual, you will see where it is located.

bpounds 02-03-2011 04:12 PM

I don't think there is any way to change that behavior, and if you remove the accessory relay then none of those accessories will work at all.

The radio should go off as soon as you open a door. And the dome light goes off after a short period too. It's not like these things are going to run your battery down.

I really don't understand why you want to change it, but that's your business. As far as I know there is no way to program it any differently. Maybe someone else has an idea.

RogerG 02-04-2011 04:58 AM

Why

I am a farmer. On occasion, I shoot varmints from my truck. I want it quite and dark when I shut it down.

Also, I do not think it is a good idea from a security standpoint.

Grits

JockD 02-05-2011 12:05 AM

But the cops love it because they can see what the bad guys are doing after a traffic stop.

Even on my bare-bones XL the dome light stays on for a while after I open the door with the key on. I hate it, too.

helomech 02-05-2011 02:30 AM

What about turning off the stereo...? as for the dome light, can't you just turn it off? ie, roll the dash dimmer all the way off until it clicks and turning off the dome?

RogerG 02-05-2011 03:54 AM

That might work but the light has already come on. Thanks, Roger

helomech 02-05-2011 05:53 AM

Right, but if you turn the dimmer all the way down and click the dome light off BEFORE it comes on, then it wouldn't be an issue and you can sneak up on them thar critters.. :-X01

RogerG 02-05-2011 09:27 AM

I will try it

As soon as my instrument cluster gets here I will try it. The dome light does not work at all if the battery saver relay goes bad. It is a non-serviceable part in the instrument cluster.

Roger

Rickx 02-05-2011 09:38 AM

Here's a thread on how to bypass and control your running board and interior lights. I went through the instrument panel to do this. Most are going through the driver's kick panel. Once you have this installed your map and cargo light switches will still function normally. This is on Excursions, but should be the same for Superdutys. Most of us did it because of malfunctioning door jam switches(door ajar).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...itch-oops.html

fuelman 02-05-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rickx (Post 9926403)
Here's a thread on how to bypass and control your running board and interior lights. I went through the instrument panel to do this. Most are going through the driver's kick panel. Once you have this installed your map and cargo light switches will still function normally. This is on Excursions, but should be the same for Superdutys.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...itch-oops.html

It's actually the passenger side kick panel.

Gordon-0 02-05-2011 07:34 PM

wouldnt it be easier to replace the time delay relay with a regular non time delay relay?
the other option is to put another switch in to mimic the switch in the door.
run a switch in series with one of the switches in the door jamb. it will prevent the truck from seeing the open door, so it will think the door is still closed when you have the swich "on". you are on your own for the radio

Anomic 02-05-2011 07:45 PM

How about my 2010 turns on the parking and dome lights on when i turn key off (stays on about 60secs). I would love to never hear "you left your lights on" everytime i get out of my truck. Not to mention the above mentioned security reasons

Rickx 02-05-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by fuelman (Post 9928146)
It's actually the passenger side kick panel.

I contributed to that post, but I didn't read it all. So... good call.

Rickx 02-05-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by RogerG (Post 9926370)
As soon as my instrument cluster gets here I will try it. The dome light does not work at all if the battery saver relay goes bad. It is a non-serviceable part in the instrument cluster.

Roger

It's going to be really simple to install a switch if you're going to be dealing with your cluster anyway. Just know - you want the Black wire with blue stripe. There's only one. Just install a switch in that circuit and you're good to go.